Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Hoser
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Ok, The right slingshot on my Data East Tommy is locking on.

- When I first got it ... the coil was not working at all. I found a lack of continuity on the Blue/Green wire going from the coil to CN19. Replaced that wire ... and the coil worked (but locked on).

- Replaced the TIP122 with a TIP 102 ... and the coil worked a couple of times then locked on again. The old TIP122 was bad.

- Next ... Suspecting the coil Diode ... I actually swapped in another (working) coil with fresh diode. When I clipped and tested the old coil diode ... it seemed fine though. I then proceeded to replace the TIP 102, the pre-drive transistor, and the 7402 chip (adjacent CN19).

- The coil worked fine for 5 games. Shut it off. Came back the next day. First game noticed that the coil was locked on again.

- I haven't yet tried changing the diode and small capacitor that run in parallel on the unused reflexive circuit (next to CN18). Gonna get those parts today.

*** While I am out picking up components ... I just thought I would ask if I am missing something. Anything else in the circuit I should be testing? I had it working for half a dozen games after I replaced the coil diode. So I don't think I am blowing transistors because of a bad coil diode. Can anything else cause the TIP102 to die???

*** One other small note: When I replaced the 7402 chip. After sucking up all extra solder and prepping to mount the new chip, I noticed that two of the holes in the board were pretty much adjoined. What I mean is that there was no green board separating the metal contacts of each hole. I looked at the 7402 just above it ... and that one had all pin holes separated from each other. Anyone know if the board is meant to be that way under the lower 7402 chip next to CN18?

Thanks

#2 9 years ago

Yes, those two pins on the 7402 are joined together.

#3 9 years ago

Any chance the contacts on the slingshot switches are set too tight? When its locked on, check in switch test to see if it is registering. Had this problem on an I500 recently after someone replaced the rubber. (not sure if this would apply to this specific machine)

#4 9 years ago

Found the problem. I am a complete dufus!

When I took the board back out to contemplate changing components on the circuit in parallel ... I noticed something silly on the back of the board. I failed to clip the excess wire from one of the transistors. Can you say short-against-backplate-waiting-to-happen?

Changed the transistor again ... clipped the backside ... and man she is flying again!

BTW ... Thank you for putting my mind at ease about the 7402 Darkmiss.

Schwaggs ... yup I looked for that early on. Thanks anyways though.

Cheers!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

€ 25.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pin-Decals

Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
$ 18.95
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

€ 27.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Flipper Parts
TheDudeMods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
TheDudeMods

$ 18.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/slingshot-locking-on and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.