• Latest reply 9 years ago by node
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

P1090003.JPG
#1 9 years ago

I've got a pin with some very slightly sunken inserts, as in just a slight white line around many of them that's only really noticeable with scrutiny. Is it even worth levelling these, or is there a risk that doing so would flake off paint (they're painted, not decals) and do more harm than good?

I'm probably going to fit a playfield protector sheet on it so they won't get chipped by the ball passing over anyway - I'm just struggling to resist the perfectionist part of me here! (I'll post pics once I get the glass off later, but I'm sure you get the idea).

#2 9 years ago

Here's a quick example of what I mean, see how the top half of the death star has a fine line around the top.

P1090003.JPGP1090003.JPG

#3 9 years ago

I'd level them to keep the paint from wearing.

You will have to glue them from behind once you get them level.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration

#4 9 years ago

Thanks vid, good to know it's worth it (and works) even for inserts like this that have dropped down just a hair's width. Now I just need to find somewhere that sells 12" C-clamps in Europe, they seem pretty rare over here!

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from node:

Now I just need to find somewhere that sells 12" C-clamps in Europe, they seem pretty rare over here!

They might be called something else.

Do you guys have stores that sell cheap Chinese tools?

#6 9 years ago

I've been looking far and wide to be honest, I know other UK pinheads have too, some ended up importing. We don't really have an equivalent of Harbor Freight. I've been looking for 300mm (12") too - the most you can get here is 8" which doesn't reach the middle of the playfield.

My long shot is checking Dragon Mart in Dubai when I'm over there for work - it's a huge Chinese import mall with a section for tools stores so I wouldn't be surprised to see the Harbor Freight one there. The lengths we go to for this hobby!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/slightly-sunken-inserts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.