(Topic ID: 65754)

Slightly OT: Why do so many users here refer to updates as "CODES"???

By cpsystem3

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Nexyss
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

Am I the only one who cringes when they read someone refer to an update as "NEW CODES" when talking about code updates? As a professional programmer, this drives me nuts.

This isn't a GameGenie where you input a list of CODES for unlimited lives.

This is a CODE RELEASE. One complete package, distributed in a binary format ready to install in your game.

Its new CODE for your game. Not new CODES.

Thank you, that is all.

#2 10 years ago

007 373 5963

#3 10 years ago

Cannot say I have heard "Codes"

#4 10 years ago

It the "cool" thing to do pops...word to your moms...

#5 10 years ago

I cannot say I have heard "codes" either but I haven't been paying attention. But, yeah, I can understand this pet peeve. This is a code release and not some secret codes for releasing the sword of gigantor! However, when talking about software updates at work - I often abbreviate it and just refer to the 'code release' as 'code'.
    Reminds me of my pet peeve that I hear all the time -- people, there is NO SUCH THING AS A DB9 or DB15 CONNECTOR!!!

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from cpsystem3:

This isn't a GameGenie where you input a list of CODES

lol

#7 10 years ago

Because programmers write new code for the machine...

...which then gets put out as an update.

And because "code" is an awful lot quicker to write than: "a CODE RELEASE that is one complete package, distributed in a binary format ready to install in your game."

Pete

#8 10 years ago

All I have ever heard is "new code" being mentioned...until this thread

#9 10 years ago

New codes from Sterns!

#10 10 years ago

Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A

#11 10 years ago

CONTRA!!!

#12 10 years ago

007 373 5963

image.jpgimage.jpg

#13 10 years ago

It bugs me as well when I hear codes. I think it is probably only going to be the programmers here that notice it though.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/slightly-ot-why-do-so-many-users-here-refer-to-updates-as-codes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.