(Topic ID: 187701)

Slide save - cheating or just nudging/pinball skill?

By spinal

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 128 posts
  • 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by dasvis
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“The slide save is...”

• ... cheating at pinball. If you're physically moving the pin across the floor it's going too far! 66 votes
      27%
    • ... just another form of nudging. Just because the legs move a bit across the floor doesn't make a difference - I'll just move it back a bit after I drain and all is good. 179 votes
      73%

(245 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2017-05-08 at 3.23.34 PM (resized).png
    centaur (resized).jpg
    ij (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mtkinf.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#36 6 years ago

I'm having a hard time with this; not sure what to think. The people who say that "anything that doesn't result in a tilt is not cheating" are not looking at this objectively in my opinion. By that logic, shoplifting is not shoplifting if you don't get caught. Seems to me it's still shoplifting. There can only be so many mechanical checks in place to ensure that cheating is not happening but if there is not a mechanic that can detect that the machine has smoothly slid an inch or two, that does not mean that it's not cheating and the designers of the games would condone it as a legitimate strategy. Personally, I'll do a slap save but I don't believe that physically moving the game during play is something that any pin designer would consider as legitimate, if it's detected or not.

I do love pinball either way!

#40 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Finally, something worse than a cargument.
    maybe if you changed this to a sporting activity and not something that is by it's definition a crime, you may see it diff'rently.

Your handle is "TheLaw" but you don't think a reference pertaining to crime and punishment is valid? Okay.

You want a sporting event. If a foul is committed but the referee/umpire does not see it, is it still a foul?

C'mon. That's a far better analogy than a cargument.

#44 6 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

it's not a foul unless the tilt bob says it's a foul.
    i'm dumbfounded there are so many people who incorrectly believe nudging is somehow cheating.

Then please quote someone who said that nudging is cheating. I said that the machine "slid an inch or two". That is not not the same as nudging. Thanks.

#48 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

but if your tilt is setup right, it will tilt out if the offender pushed the limits. Hell, watch bowen play in the tutorials. everything he does is tournament legal and pulls that shit a lot.
    he does say death saves are always illegal, but that's a whole different animal then sliding the game over a bit. Hell, when I move my games i'll pick up the front and drag it's ass around the basement with no sliders on.

So is everyone's tilt "set up right"? This goes back to my original post.

"There can only be so many mechanical checks in place to ensure that cheating is not happening but if there is not a mechanic that can detect that the machine has smoothly slid an inch or two, that does not mean that it's not cheating and the designers of the games would condone it as a legitimate strategy."

If the cabinet can be slid several inches or lifted off the floor without the tilt mechanism being tripped, is it set up right?" Or is it not robust enough to detect these movements?

#49 6 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I disagree. That is 100% a part of nudging imo.

Your definition of nudging includes sliding the pinball machine across the floor a few inches? I would disagree.

#52 6 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yep. Also, a tilt bob isn't supposed to detect and prevent cheating. It's a way to reduce ball times and game times like all the other settings a game has. Slam tilts are there for game abuse.
    Not sure I can think of anything on a pinball machine where its purpose is to stop cheating.

The most obvious is the glass over the playfield.

#55 6 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

i can't disagree any more strongly with your wrong, incorrect opinion.

Ditto. What's your point?

#57 6 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

i already made my point, which is you are objectively wrong.

Then please state your objective.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mtkinf.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/slide-save-cheating-or-just-nudging?tu=mtkinf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.