(Topic ID: 187701)

Slide save - cheating or just nudging/pinball skill?

By spinal

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 126 posts
  • 55 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by chuckwurt
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“The slide save is...”

• ... cheating at pinball. If you're physically moving the pin across the floor it's going too far! 61 votes
      28%
    • ... just another form of nudging. Just because the legs move a bit across the floor doesn't make a difference - I'll just move it back a bit after I drain and all is good. 156 votes
      72%

(217 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screen Shot 2017-05-08 at 3.23.34 PM (resized).png
    centaur (resized).jpg
    ij (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg

There are 126 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 2 years ago

bowen has said himself.. " I was a C player, until I learned how to nudge properly. once that happened, I became an A player". Said this first hand at PAPA years ago.

#102 2 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

The games on location are owned by someone too... they don't deserve to be second class citizens by people who actually care about the hobby (vs random abusive public).

Then take your thumb back, because you're 100% backwards. I'm *MUCH* harder on my personal games than games on location or in someone else's house.....but thanks for assuming that I'm just trashing everyone else's games.

#103 2 years ago

I still remember the PAPA tutorial video on IM. A right outlane drain was saved by jerking the whole machine in a J-shape. The machine only gave him a warning. That was some mad skills.

#104 2 years ago
    Quoted from s1500:

I still remember the PAPA tutorial video on IM. A right outlane drain was saved by jerking the whole machine in a J-shape. The machine only gave him a warning. That was some mad skills.

Smooth & steady slides are the secret - no sudden starts or stops.

#105 2 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

I'm curious about how people's opinions on slide saves relate to things like how long they've been in pinball, how many machines they own, whether they've bought routed machines or only new, etc.

I'm pretty sure the only thing opponents of slide saves have in common is not being capable of doing them...

#106 2 years ago
    Quoted from Circus_Animal:

I'm pretty sure the only thing opponents of slide saves have in common is not being capable of doing them...

Are you being serious here? Slide saves are easy. I could teach anyone in less than a minute how to do one. "Ball is going where you don't want it to go, just shove the game to one side or the other". If someone can push a full grocery cart they can do a slide save. IMHO, simple nudging--knowing which way to nudge a game when the ball is right by a post, getting the most points out of a ball in a pop bumper nest, or shaking a ball out of the outlane is harder.

#107 2 years ago
    Quoted from BrianBannon:

Are you being serious here? Slide saves are easy. I could teach anyone in less than a minute how to do one. "Ball is going where you don't want it to go, just shove the game to one side or the other". If someone can push a full grocery cart they can do a slide save. IMHO, simple nudging--knowing which way to nudge a game when the ball is right by a post, getting the most points out of a ball in a pop bumper nest, or shaking a ball out of the outlane is harder.

Some people struggle with it though. Hard to get into your head that you're nudging the table and not the ball. You're sliding the game underneath the ball. So you have a SDTM ball that you want to hit the right flipper? Slide the game left.

#108 2 years ago

It takes a real man to do slide saves on my Embryon.

#109 2 years ago
    Quoted from dasvis:

It takes a real man to do slide saves on my Embryon.

i was thinking the same thing about WOZ the other night when my wife was playing, and she tried to 'nudge'. She moved, but the machine stayed put. She actually nudged hard enough to move far enough she bumped into me playing the game next to here. She still lost the ball...

In general we don't do or appreciate huge slide saves at our place. Now if you have a hard nudge and the feet move an inch or so, then I don't care, but if you're moving the game six inches the tilt is either broken or fell off because I usually have mine all set moderately tight.

#110 2 years ago
    Quoted from BrianBannon:

how about a slide save on soft plush carpet?

#111 2 years ago

I own a Ghostbusters. Slide saving is all you do if you want a game that lasts longer than a minute.

#112 2 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

how about a slide save on soft plush carpet?

That's what my pins sit on, there is no way to slide them, but you can nudge them.

1 month later
    #113 2 years ago

Thanks for all your votes and comments - very interesting!

Poll is currently at 71% for those who think the slide save is OK. If this is the case, would it then be unacceptable to have a competition where machines are on carpet?

#114 2 years ago
    Quoted from spinal:

If this is the case, would it then be unacceptable to have a competition where machines are on carpet?

Absolutely not. Totally acceptable to have them in carpet. I'd say most tournaments are on carpet. No different than if it was on hard floors and the tournament director put the rubber coasters on them that disallow sliding. Just another way to shorten game times. That's a TD's best friend. Short game times. Haha

#115 2 years ago
    Quoted from spinal:

Poll is currently at 71% for those who think the slide save is OK. If this is the case, would it then be unacceptable to have a competition where machines are on carpet?

Great thread.
    Always wondered what the consensus was for slide saves among pinball enthusiasts.
    Dasvis & I have been slide savers since the mid 70s.

#116 2 years ago
    Quoted from spinal:

It's generally preferred. Games on concrete move too easily. The rubber footies help stop that.

#117 2 years ago
    Quoted from Humph:

Great thread.
    Always wondered what the consensus was for slide saves among pinball enthusiasts.
    Dasvis & I have been slide savers since the mid 70s.

The slide for life rules.

#118 2 years ago

I sometimes go 'deer in the headlights" when a ball is headed sdtm

#119 2 years ago

I slide, jiggle and shove in a big way. In fact, I have slipped small plastic bags over every tilt bobber in my pins to completely prevent tilts and had installed nylon glides on all of the feet.

Been severely nudging and jiggling since the 60's when we used to hang at the pool hall game room and would place those bakelite ash trays under the front two legs to "level" the playing field. You could play all night with a single coin.

#120 2 years ago

Pinburgh considers it cheating.

I do think that the late model Sterns encourage massive slide saves too much with their overly generous de-bounce logic on the tilt bob.

#121 2 years ago
    Quoted from ramegoom:

I slide, jiggle and shove in a big way. In fact, I have slipped small plastic bags over every tilt bobber in my pins to completely prevent tilts and had installed nylon glides on all of the feet.
    Been severely nudging and jiggling since the 60's when we used to hang at the pool hall game room and would place those bakelite ash trays under the front two legs to "level" the playing field. You could play all night with a single coin.

Speaking of ash trays, when we were young punks, we used to put ash trays under the feet with a little 30 wt. oil in them to boot.

#122 2 years ago
    Quoted from Humph:

Speaking of ash trays, when we were young punks, we used to put ash trays under the feet with a little 30 wt. oil in them to boot.

Ahh, the good old days. I can't drink like that anymore..

#123 2 years ago
    Quoted from alveolus:

Pinburgh considers it cheating.

Why do you say that? Can still do it with the footies, just harder. I think they are worried about game times more than slide saves.

#124 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Why do you say that? Can still do it with the footies, just harder. I think they are worried about game times more than slide saves.

Maybe cheating is not the best word. More like they disallow it by way of strict penalties, tilt or no tilt.

If you slide the machine out of the footies then it is a DQ.

#125 2 years ago
    Quoted from alveolus:

Maybe cheating is not the best word. More like they disallow it by way of strict penalties, tilt or no tilt.

Agreed. You leave the machine unleveled for the next guy and tilt bob swinging. Most people pull this on ball 3 when they are behind with nothing to lose. AH.

#126 2 years ago
    Quoted from alveolus:

Absolutely. That's just a rule involved with using those. But yeah, no cheating in sliding.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 45.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 36.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 26.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7,299.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 49.95
    Playfield - Plastics
    MicksPinball
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Gameroom Mods
    $ 9,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 269.00
    Displays
    Boston Pinball Company
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Haus
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 189.00
    Boards
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 149.99
    Lighting - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 12.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 26.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    There are 126 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside