(Topic ID: 78301)

Slide relay switch adjustment - are these as out of adjustment as they look?

By alb0711

10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by alb0711
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

switch2.jpg
    switch3.jpg
    switch1.jpg
    energized.JPG
    normal.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider alb0711.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

I'm shopping my 1955 Bulls Eye and it has 2 banks of what I am calling slide relays (not sure if that is really the name?). The machine works 90%, but several minor features are either not working or intermittent. I pulled the slide relay banks from the housing so I could get a close look for adjusting and cleaning. I've had success with other EM machines switch adjustments by simply looking for "state changes" when the relay is energized.

Taking a close look at these however it appears that most of the switch contacts are seriuosly out of adjustment. The first photo is the switch as it looks when the relay is not energized and the second is what I believe they look like when the relay is energized by using my fingers to move the relay into an energized state.

My theory is I'm either not looking at this right because if the switches were as bad as they appear, I'd have a lot more issues with the machine then I am having.

I appreciate the help!

Allen

#2 10 years ago

normal.JPGnormal.JPGenergized.JPGenergized.JPG

#5 10 years ago

I agree - it is very strange. And since most things seem to work - there must be something wrong with the way I'm looking at this. I'm going to reconnect the jones plugs and leave the relay bank outside of the machine and observe what happens when it activates and resets. I'll report back.

#6 10 years ago

Hooked the relay bank back up to the machine last night and observed - the switches are going in the opposite direction of what I simulated by manipulating the relay armature with my fingers. The contacts are pulled down, not pushed up which explains the odd angles. Still trying to find a way to simulate the "pull down" so I can clean and adjust the contacts.

#7 10 years ago

Relay bank is a latch release system. Once I figured out how to release the switch banks, they were easy to adjust - and in pretty good shape for something made in 1955. Pretty cool old technology!

#9 10 years ago

Sure!

1st photo is the switch bank

2nd photo the switch bank in reset (normal) position

3rd photo switch bank after latch

switch1.jpgswitch1.jpgswitch2.jpgswitch2.jpgswitch3.jpgswitch3.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider alb0711.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/slide-relay-switch-adjustment-are-these-as-out-of-adjustment-as-they-look?tu=alb0711 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.