Slick Chick SB switch (resized).jpg
DDB29796-0505-475D-822F-EC96D4EEB21B (resized).jpeg
99130F07-5B00-4B91-8F68-B4083ADBC458 (resized).jpeg
SC 1 (resized).png
SC 2 (resized).png
s-l1600 (resized).jpg
Slick Chick XB relay (resized).jpg
26611931-987D-4334-BA62-FC2B13F2D26C (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nikrox2.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

I'm playing her by manually rotating the score motor to get it to start. Most of what I've found by searching here on Pinside is about the Score Motor continuously running.

My issue is the opposite :

Game – 1963 Slick Chick

I usually get the games I find all working, then clean them up. In this case, it was so filthy, I had to clean it up first. In doing so, I’d check every now & then if things worked (switches, lights, etc) - starting the game by rotating the score motor manually , and mostly got everything working as I went. She’s cleaned up and I got a new backglass. Can play the five balls and all's well.

Still have other problems tho -
When I hit the start button (with credits shown) the Hold relay pulls in and PF and Backbox lights all come on, and the SB (Start ) relay pulls in, but nothing after that, no score motor turning, nuttin

I can then manually turn the Score Motor 2 to 4 times (varies)– at 90 deg each, and this gets it to start a game. (All plays well after that)

I do notice this game has 5 balls and there are two trough switches – one for the 4th ball and one for the 5th ball. I thought to show game over when both are closed?) But after all balls are played, I can still hit the pop’s, slings, etc and it adds points - but if I hit a target or lane roll over switch – it then makes the score motor turn 90 deg, and it then goes to game over. (Not sure how during normal play with the glass on - after that last ball is played, how it would then be able to actually end a game with no balls to hit the targets– so thinking these issues are tied somehow?)

To get it to “game over” – the Match Relay activates (once both of these 4th & 5th ball switches are closed) and Game over Relay activates once the score motor turns - only after hitting a target or lane switch.

I can then hit the start button again, but see only the SB relay activate – like that relay should be telling the score motor to rotate one full 360 deg turn, but somethings not telling it to…ugh. I do notice by manually starting the game - the ball release coil stays fired / activated until a point is scored - then it releases. If that helps?

I've checked the wires, connections, switches on those relays noted above, and cleaned the steppers (credit, 0-9, bonus), can't find the problem

So it's not starting or really ending correctly, thinking it may be the same issue?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This is one is almost there !

26611931-987D-4334-BA62-FC2B13F2D26C (resized).jpeg26611931-987D-4334-BA62-FC2B13F2D26C (resized).jpeg
#5 3 years ago

Thanks all Yes, I checked and my Bowling Queen does the same thing as far as ball release after first point, so that's good.

I've re-checked both "O" and "SB" again, all look to be open/closed when they should be, but neither are causing the score motor to rotate as needed.

I've also looked at the score motor and 1C is open. (If I close it, it rotates as it should)

I've copied the schematics from earlier posts, I'll re-attach. I get only so far with these, even though this seems to be a fairly simple design (only as compared to others I've worked on, still learning of course).

Is there some other obscure switch that tie these two (like one of the score reel switches or other) and it is not allowing the signals to get thru? (Just weird both of the above relays are activating correctly, but then the score motor does not rotate as needed to complete either's cycle.)

Area / Index 10G - of the schematics - that's where I get fuzzy.

SC 1 (resized).pngSC 1 (resized).pngSC 2 (resized).pngSC 2 (resized).pngs-l1600 (resized).jpgs-l1600 (resized).jpg
#7 3 years ago

The SB relay does pull in (activates) when I hit the replay / start button. So it’s getting power (incoming?) And all lights come on. Just no score motor rotation.

So - to check for voltage (output?) - do I check with it closed or open? Or both? Do I put a lead on either of the switch blades for the wires noted above ? (Sorry still somewhat a newbie here)

#8 3 years ago

SB is the 2nd from the top. I don’t see those colored wires?? Which switch would it be?

DDB29796-0505-475D-822F-EC96D4EEB21B (resized).jpegDDB29796-0505-475D-822F-EC96D4EEB21B (resized).jpeg99130F07-5B00-4B91-8F68-B4083ADBC458 (resized).jpeg99130F07-5B00-4B91-8F68-B4083ADBC458 (resized).jpeg
#11 3 years ago

I can flip the bank over and see that all switches are closing correctly, and I cleaned each one as well. On the SB relay I'm showing 28v. whether it's open or closed (only could check the top two blades tho as I couldn't check the third blade). I also checked the O relay - and showing 14v when open (not pulled in) and 0 when pulled in or activated (when both of the trough switches are held down, this relay pulls in).

So both relays are pulling in (SB when I hit the replay button) and (O when both 4th & 5th trough switches are closed) - but no rotation of the score motor.

"HowardR" has helped me on other games here by jumpering wires to find the issue, but I don't know how/where to start trying to jumper either of these to get them to work. For instance, I can take a jumper and touch the score motor "actual motor" tab on one end and touch one of the tabs one of the tabs on either of these - and I can get the score motor to turn - but it stays on constant, not stopping.

So I guess it's telling me the power is there...just something is not allowing the signals to get thru???

#13 3 years ago

Ahh, when I tried earlier, I was attaching from either of those points to the colored wire tab on the score motor (actual motor). Thus continuously running. Let me try attaching to the other tab when I get home.

I was also getting the score motor to turn when I jumpered from the "O" relay, but again I was going to the colored tab and getting continuous rotation. Maybe this will also work with that one? I'll try and report back. (Sooner this time)

#14 3 years ago

Ok here’s an update on this one - weird.

I tried jumpering to the black tab on the score motor (actual motor) and got nothing - but going back to the color wire tab made it run continuous.

So I then jumpered from the O relay again - this time while the relay bank was lifted up - and sure enough it rotated once and stopped. Game ended as it’s supposed to. And I hit the start button and the game started. Both issues fixed.

But then I clamped the relay bank down and I get nothing again. So while ever so lightly re- adjusted the relay bank - not all the way down but enough for the large coil to still reset - and it’s all working.

Why would one jumper on the O relay fix both issues. And why does it not work when the relay bank is fully set? A short somewhere or grounding taking place?

And finding that - May fix the issue of needing the jumper in the first place?

Happy to play a full game from start to finish tho! So progress was made!

#15 3 years ago

Photos of the jumper may help?

DEDDDEA0-5B88-4D49-9E41-30E883DE132E (resized).jpegDEDDDEA0-5B88-4D49-9E41-30E883DE132E (resized).jpeg948F106D-8CC4-41B7-9B24-F4049B24BDDA (resized).jpeg948F106D-8CC4-41B7-9B24-F4049B24BDDA (resized).jpeg
#17 3 years ago

On the SB relay, I tried from the slate black to the slate black and it wouldn't rotate. If I jumper any of the colored wires to the colored tab on the score motor, it rotates continuously.

On the O relay, I'm jumpering from what looks to be the same color wires - looks to be white with black , but could have shades of green in there...my eyes aren't the best..lol But it looks like the same colored wire as the one I'm jumpering to on the score motor.

And a re-wording here - when the relay bank (with the SB relay) is locked down, it rotates continuously. (Not what I typed above), when I raise it slightly, it then only rotates as needed to either ends or start a game. I do notice, that sometimes it's clicking off several credits instead of just one when I hit start...maybe a clue?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

1,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Staunton, VA
1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shaker Heights, OH
$ 12.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nikrox2.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/slick-chick-start-end-issues?tu=nikrox2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.