(Topic ID: 185487)

Slick Chick Restoration Finished; Games a Blast!

By SteveinTexas

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by boilerman
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC05701 (resized).JPG
DSC05686 (resized).JPG
DSC05685 (resized).JPG
DSC05684 (resized).JPG
DSC05680 (resized).JPG
DSC05681 (resized).JPG
DSC05676 (resized).JPG
DSC05675 (resized).JPG
DSC05664 (resized).JPG
DSC05658 (resized).JPG
DSC05662 (resized).JPG
DSC05653 (resized).JPG
DSC05670 (resized).JPG

#1 6 years ago

Just finished putting this game back together, this restore because of the playfield rework took nearly 8 months. I learned a lot about Gottlieb wedge heads that will help with my next bunch of restores as they are all Gottlieb's. The bronze electroplate finish or whatever it is is really cool. You can't throw it all in the tumbler at once as it damages so a small load over time and it comes out great. I polish it then to keep it looking good for a year or so.
DSC05681 (resized).JPGDSC05681 (resized).JPG
DSC05670 (resized).JPGDSC05670 (resized).JPG
DSC05653 (resized).JPGDSC05653 (resized).JPG
DSC05662 (resized).JPGDSC05662 (resized).JPG
The switch contacts had some larger contacts, I guess are for frequent or larger current being passed. I did not notice this on the other Bally bingo and various Williams pin restores. During start up I had some issues as up to now a good clean and dremel wire brushing as always been sufficient unless the contacts were worn too much. The large contacts had pitting and these needed filing a lot so they made a good contact. All the bumpers set the N relay berserk until I fixed their relay contacts.
DSC05676 (resized).JPGDSC05676 (resized).JPG
The Slick chick has two bank relays one on the bottom relay board and one on the playfield. The bottom relay board bank is really cool as it has a frame that allows the unit to be swiveled to a good inspection position without being removed from the game. Never seen that before.

The game after tweaking the bumper contacts is quite lively as long as you are prepared to nudge, this games needs to be given a workout. The flippers are strong now with new switches and they need to be to get the ball back up top, It is also very tough game for me as I am an average player. I have set it to the easiest settings and lowered the tilt also. That said I was able to score a 800+ score. I asked my wife to have a turn and she immediately made a 1152 score on here second try, said it was good game and went back to the kitchen I can't beat her score yet, as I say its a tough game.
DSC05658 (resized).JPGDSC05658 (resized).JPG
DSC05664 (resized).JPGDSC05664 (resized).JPG
DSC05675 (resized).JPGDSC05675 (resized).JPG
I think this game it is going to be staying here for a long time.

Tiny issue on one bumper is not setting off the bell and the match did not give a replay when made but I may not have turned it on. This is the most solid playing game so far after one of my total ground up restores. As I say its a blast!

#2 6 years ago

Awesome. One of my all time favorite EMs. Hope I get to play a clearcoated SC at some point, that's gotta be a little bizarre at first.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Awesome. One of my all time favorite EMs. Hope I get to play a clearcoated SC at some point, that's gotta be a little bizarre at first.

It was not in good condition when I got it, and I have never played a well set up one until this one so I can't judge either. Its fast though and fun.

#4 6 years ago

I added the 100 point 5" bell after "Boatcats" how to. I love bells just need to get to be a better player to make it go off more!

DSC05680 (resized).JPGDSC05680 (resized).JPG

#5 6 years ago

Nice job. This is a great game I love it when someone brings one to the TPF. Hope to see this one next year.

#6 6 years ago

Word. It should be. If I get my Crescendo cabinet repainted we can start a "Cleared EM" section LOL!

#7 6 years ago

Slick Chick is a fun game. I had mine for the better part of 3 1/2 years. I do miss mine (kinda).

#8 6 years ago

Looks nice. I wish I had room for one. It's a lot more fun to play than it looks. Congrats!

#9 6 years ago

The back door needs some restore work. It was painted black to cover rust. I cleaned that off and made a box to soak it in Evapo-rust. The box was put inside a bin liner and the door and Evapo-rust added. I made a cover to stop the stuff evaporating.

Hoping for the best tonight after it has soaked for 24 hours.

DSC05684 (resized).JPGDSC05684 (resized).JPG

#10 6 years ago

Beautiful job Steve, really nice. One title I hope to own one day. That must have taken a lot of time and it shows.

#11 6 years ago

Great work, looks awesome!

#12 6 years ago

Hey, Steve,

Beautiful job on your Slick Chick! (Thanks for mentioning my "How-to").

Just wanted to suggest...............It appears you have 2 different target spots on at the middle target, (upper playfield). This shouldn't be. Only 1 spot should be lit at all times, (indicating what will be awarded). These alternate with each score motor rev.

Enjoy the game! It's one of the last with the, "Single shot - multiple replay" feature, (drop hole when lit, as many as 5 games if you're in high-score territory). Verrry satisfying when accomplished.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from Boatcat:

Hey, Steve,
Just wanted to suggest...............It appears you have 2 different target spots on at the middle target, (upper playfield). This shouldn't be. Only 1 spot should be lit at all times, (indicating what will be awarded). These alternate with each score motor rev.
Enjoy the game! It's one of the last with the, "Single shot - multiple replay" feature, (drop hole when lit, as many as 5 games if you're in high-score territory). Verrry satisfying when accomplished.

Good catch! Slick (50 pts), chick (50 pts), or Slick-Chick (100 pts and it holds in the relay twice as long) Only one should be showing and they alternate.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from Boatcat:

Hey, Steve,

Thanks for telling how to fit the bell.
I was looking at the schematic last night (bed time reading) and saw that something appeared a miss. Should be an easy fix.

What a fun game.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from SteveinTexas:

Thanks for telling how to fit the bell.
I was looking at the schematic last night (bed time reading) and saw that something appeared a miss. Should be an easy fix.
What a fun game.

Ken Head had to fix the same relay on the Slick,Chick,Slick-Chick relay. You may get with him on what he had to do to fix the relay on mine years ago.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

Ken Head had to fix the same relay on the Slick,Chick,Slick-Chick relay. You may get with him on what he had to do to fix the relay on mine years ago.

It was a closed switch on the motor. I must have brushed when messing with another switch nearby.

I then noticed a bumper light was not going off and had to mess with the playfield relay bank. Had to stop for the evening as I was making things worse. I swear, messing with difficult to get at relay bank switches is the hardest job in pinball.

#17 6 years ago

I like the idea of a 'cleared EM section'. I'll bring my cleared 1970 Williams Strike Zone.

#18 6 years ago

Finished just in time for easter,
what with all the bunnies on the PF.

Slick Chick is a great game,
One of Sam Harvey's favorites.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Finished just in time for easter,
what with all the bunnies on the PF.
Slick Chick is a great game,
One of Sam Harvey's favorites.

One of mine too now!

#20 6 years ago

Does everyone have issues getting relay bank switches to behave or is it me!

Was able to finally fix all the errant switches and play half a dozen games perfectly. I had to file a bunch of switches to stop the 1 point N relay going berserk as well on the A relay but all seems stable now.

The evaporust did a good job on the door. The bronze electroplating is almost gone, I think a previous owner must have sanded before painting. i protected it with metal polish and hope it last a while before rusting again.

DSC05685 (resized).JPGDSC05685 (resized).JPG
DSC05686 (resized).JPGDSC05686 (resized).JPG
DSC05701 (resized).JPGDSC05701 (resized).JPG

#21 6 years ago

Looks great. I loved my Slick Chick when I had it. Very addicting pin.

#22 6 years ago

Does everyone have issues getting relay bank switches to behave or is it me!

When they are on those swing out relay banks they can be a real pain. Looks great as always Steve.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

When they are on those swing out relay banks they can be a real pain. Looks great as always Steve.

Slick Chick has two banks the play-field has not got the swing out feature and is difficult to check in place and use an adjustment tool.

I would like to know from people how they manage to adjust these buggers!

#24 6 years ago

I added the 100 point 5" bell after "Boatcats" how to. I love bells just need to get to be a better player to make it go off more!

Steve Young has reproduced the 5" bell and now has the rest of the hardware in stock he announced yesterday.

"4-4-17"
As promised in the note regarding the 5" bell shell (B-2091+), the hardware arrived today to finish the assembly. Works perfectly...sounds just like it oughta! Since Gottlieb® evolved this part to use a A-5194 coil, that is how I built them. Usage will be mostly E/M so, no diode on the coil either.

Part number B-9579+ Price $52.59
Available from stock starting today. Listed on our Bell/Chime/Knocker Webpage

Who says that Steve Young isn't the best thing in Pinball.

For Boatcats tutoral see MikeO topic https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/questions-adding-100-point-bell-to-north-star-and-slick-chick#post-3012988

And the tutorial is on thread #13.

#25 6 years ago

dupe.

#26 6 years ago

Beautiful game!

#27 6 years ago

steve your attention to detail is second to none, great job.
slick chick is my favorite in the bumper series close second GIGI

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shaker Heights, OH
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball
Cabinet parts
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball
Cabinet parts
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/slick-chick-restoration-finished-games-a-blast and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.