(Topic ID: 131722)

Slick Chick coffee table project........

By Pinball_Nate

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 77 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Pinball_Nate
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 43 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

dracula_002_(resized).JPG
IMG_4433_(resized).JPG
dragon_light_(resized).jpg
sc3_(resized).jpg
sc4_(resized).jpg
sc2_(resized).jpg
sl1_(resized).jpg
5050-5M-300-LED-Strip-SMD-12V-Under-coffee-table-light-blue_(resized).jpg
table3_(resized).jpg
table2_(resized).jpg
table1_(resized).jpg
coindoorfront_(resized).jpg
CutCab_(resized).jpg
legsinvineagarbath_(resized).jpg
PincabCut_(resized).jpg
sctable_(resized).jpg

There are 77 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 3 years ago

Will be designing a coffee table from "bottom up" - will be trying to replicate the look of the original pinball machine as best as I can. Hope you enjoy following this thread!

First steps, touching up parts and playfield.

before.jpg

targets.jpg

after.jpg

#2 3 years ago

Your going to get some blow back here.
The question is why make a coffee table out of one of the greatest and most sought after EM pinball machines of all time? On the surface, his would seem to be a shame.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

#3 3 years ago

Go for it. This notion that every playfield out floating around needs hours and hours of time restoring it and rebuilding it then finding the rest of the machine to go with it is not always possible. To me there is no difference than a guy who just hangs a playfield on the wall or ceiling for "Art" with no intention on restoring that game. Pinball coffee tables can be enjoyed and later down the road used to restore a game if wanted.

#4 3 years ago

Jabbles180 picked up an amazing black hole playfield that had been tabled. Did a nice job preserving the art.

#5 3 years ago

Yes, interesting comments - I actually tried to sell this a while back, for sure, I am lovingly taking care of it and restoring it - the bottom half is cracked, split, etc. It will be replicated with all original parts, etc and available to someone if/when I ever want to get rid of it (doubtful though) - It has NO hardware on the backside so building an entire pinball just from a beat-up playfield seems like a huge task.

Nothing will be altered for the table, it will basically be set into a frame - I may have to alter the pop-bumper skirts in order to feed a bulb up into the pop body, but that part is readily available, so no damage done.....

Just wanted to share my project, I love pinball and enjoy the artwork, and this is the easiest way for me to enjoy it!!!

#6 3 years ago

Yeah, there are people who think that every rotten and moldy cabinet, worn thru playfield and peeled away backglass are sacred objects.

#7 3 years ago

I would agree, if there was an entire machine, I wouldn't want to destroy it or part it out for that matter - this is a pf that I purchased over 25(!) years ago from a dusty second-hand shop, so I'm just glad to see it finally getting made into a worthy project!!!
Hope people can enjoy my progress as I enjoy working on it.

-Nate

#8 3 years ago

Well I'm glad to hear that what you have is a castoff playfield.
It should make a very interesting coffee table.
--
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#9 3 years ago

I love that idea!

20150629_201954.jpg

#10 3 years ago

Nifty led built the playfield and dancing lights. The box was a left over from a thrift store find that had a complete paragon in it that has since been built back to a game.

20150527_190707.jpg

#11 3 years ago

Oh god why.

#12 3 years ago

Because if someone doesn't have the rest of the machine and has no intention of trying to find all the parts for a worn out playfield then who cares really? I have a spare worn Gottlieb Genie playfield, does that mean I have to desperately search for the rest of the parts/cabinet and build another? Um no, Mine will be turned into a widebody coffee table instead of hanging it on the wall to collect dust.

#13 3 years ago

Wow, lots of commentary on this! I'm at a loss as to why anyone wouldn't like the idea of building such a table - seems like an incredibly good use for beat-up playfields??

The lighting is going to be a challenge, I'm thinking a string of those programmable Christmas lights will give me a good random blinking pattern for the inserts and pops.

I'm working on "re-stenciling" the SLICK CHICK letters on the pop caps now....they've all faded badly.

-Nate
I have yet to see a "coffee table" that really resembles a pinball all the way around - I am going to use cabinet legs and re-create the cabinet (albeit a thinner version) complete with some stencil work, ball plunger, side rails and flipper buttons!

#14 3 years ago

If the rest of the playfield is a beat up as you say, show a picture of it. I almost started a similar project. It was a Future Spa and I was lucky enough to find someone on here with a worse one. I sent her my Future Spa playfield and she sent me her incredibly worn one.

Edit: so I am not complaining here, just show the rest of the playfield. If it is as cracked/worn/busted as you say, no one will care anymore.

#15 3 years ago

I would steer away from the plunger. You will continually be hitting it with your knees and shins. Actually, I wouldn't go with buttons either. Keep it clean. I do like the idea of cutting down some legs and using them but I would use the roundest bolts I could find for the knee/shin reason, like carriage bolts.

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

I would steer away from the plunger. You will continually be hitting it with your knees and shins. Actually, I wouldn't go with buttons either. Keep it clean. I do like the idea of cutting down some legs and using them but I would use the roundest bolts I could find for the knee/shin reason, like carriage bolts.

When I originally wanted to do mine, I was going to recreate a cabinet bottom, only not at an angle so it was going to be a box with appropriate stencils, then playfield glass on top with spill guards that went all the way around the glass. So it would essentially be a fake cabinet without the legs.

#17 3 years ago

SealClubber,

Yeah, that is a consideration, but I think I'll go for it and see how much of a hassle having a plunger rod sticking out becomes - it can always be removed.........will keep everyone updated.......oh, ok - I'll show the entire playfield, the busted-through part is on the bottom where all the mechanics would attach.......

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

I do like the idea of cutting down some legs and using them

If I did this, I just KNOW that I'd kick one with my bare foot, with three toes on one side of the leg edge, and two toes on the other. OUCH!
--

#19 3 years ago

Didn't get a shot of the pf yet, really busy at work this week - will be posting some more "progress" photos soon.........I respect everyone's opinions and I just hope you will enjoy seeing the work I'm putting into this.......I think it'll come out nicely and do this particular playfield proud!!

BTW, is there a market for reporduction EM playfields? Seems they are rare as hen's teeth - might be a good side-project to get involved in.......

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Nate:

BTW, is there a market for reporduction EM playfields? Seems they are rare as hen's teeth - might be a good side-project to get involved in.......

There is a market but not enough demand for companies like CPR to make them. They typically didn't make huge numbers of EM titles and the remaining numbers are even lower than that. So finding not horrible playfields is the only way.

Can't wait to see the progress.

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

I would steer away from the plunger. You will continually be hitting it with your knees and shins.

This.
When I built my coffee table I lost the plunger and custom made a ball launch button.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/freaking-cool-or-desecration

#22 3 years ago

Zippy! Nice job, getting a fully functioning table is taking yet ANOTHER step. I love that you did that, kept it's integrity - great job!!

#23 3 years ago

Thats awesome! I've been looking for something to do with this ol' thing...

Trek.jpg

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from donjagra:

Nifty led built the playfield and dancing lights. The box was a left over from a thrift store find that had a complete paragon in it that has since been built back to a game.

20150527_190707.jpg

Too sweet man!

GEDC0084.jpg

#25 3 years ago

Great idea Nate... I gotta side with Chris for a bit though... your post was like a hammer to the head. Without all the info, it felt like the first time your baby hits their head, you feel all the pain too. until you see that they are handling it ok.
Nobody likes to see a pin leave the hobby. there has been too much of that already.
Zippy, your table is the bomb man! nice recoup! I have thot of doing similar stuff to a couple partial pins I had. So far, the play fields are on the wall. I would like to see, what was it, an atari pin that had the displays in the apron? would make an awesome complete pin/table.
Sealclubber, all worn thru play fields and peeled away back glass "ARE" sacred objects! just some more that others. it still hurts to see what was allowed to happen to an innocent pin table.
And, I gotta hang with Chris and clubber on the plunger and legs. great idea, but some of us have impact issues. It looks awesome, but we cringe when we look at it, only because we can see ourselves coming in contact with a solid object, makes out knees weak! LOL!
Nate, do it just like it looks in your head man! Its yours, and you are building it, and it will be cool!
And we will love it too. Rock on dude!

#26 3 years ago

Hey Style Doc, appreciate the input - keep posted as the work continues......my main stumbling point will be designing the cabinet as I in no way consider myself a carpenter...........but I think I can pull it off.

Best,

Nate

#27 3 years ago

I actually bought the playfield to replace the one in my game, but the dancing lights were too cool to tear apart.

20150330_185802.jpg

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from donjagra:

I actually bought the playfield to replace the one in my game, but the dancing lights were too cool to tear apart.
20150330_185802.jpg

Mine was worn out as well I had to do some extensive touch up as well! I dont think I would use it either that's too beast (no pun intended lol)

GEDC0011.jpg

p2.jpg

#29 3 years ago

Tell what would be awesome if someone made the coffee table game actually play!

#30 3 years ago

That looks like some awesome touch ups. I decided to go the overlay route instead. I just need to get off my butt and finish.

20150402_215029.jpg

#31 3 years ago

wow, great resto job on Paragon! Good job.......overlays will look good too once you clearcoat over it.

#32 3 years ago

Its funny that you say that the touch ups were just temporary really, i have redone that super bonus lettering again its tough. I have an overlay too, I was going to use it with a playfield protector and I was wondering if you just sand the inserts lol. I did manage to get some toys on there.

e1.jpg

_57.jpg

GEDC0007.jpg

#34 3 years ago

Zippy! Nice job, getting a fully functioning table is taking yet ANOTHER step. I love that you did that, kept it's integrity - great job!!

Dude I love that idea of using shortened legs. Cant wait to see it, also me personally I would definitely not use the plunger or buttons keep it symmetrical for sure! I think the Christmas lights are the way to go, and maybe even see about some kind of cheap electric chime box you could tie in with it!!

#35 3 years ago

I'm thinking a string of those programmable Christmas lights will give me a good random blinking pattern for the inserts and pops.

Go for an Ardino Uno or Mega, for fully programmable light display. All you will need is to build a driver board.

#36 3 years ago

Slick Chick was a fun game to have around. Glad the playfield was in better shape than the last few seen here.

#37 3 years ago

Chrisbee, is that English you're speaking?!?! hahaha. Wish I could do that, can I hire you???

#38 3 years ago

Ok, here's some shots of the pf, you can see at the bottom that the wood is cracked-through to the other side where all the mechanics would go for the ball holder, etc.

another weird thing is that a previous owner added some drilled holes very near where the plastic posts go on, in order to alter where they sit on the pf, this has caused the wood to lift badly on these areas, although the plastic posts do hide the damage and "double holes" from view.

I wanted to ask if there are two versions of this Gottlieb apron? Mine doesn't seem to fit right, needing a bit more of an increased angle at the top sides (<)in order to fit snugly against where the slingshots are. I can see the darkened wood area that was originally covered by the original apron so I don't think this is exactly the right size, although it should still look "ok" - I'd rather have the correct version though.....

pf1.jpg
pf2.jpg
pf3.jpg

#39 3 years ago

You know you could go all the way with this and contact Mission they have a solid state kit for this and make it a fully functional cocktail!

#40 3 years ago

If I could be a little critical of the Paragon table - the colored LEDs for the inserts are too much, and installing the plastics would really help the artwork. I really hope CPR makes these - lots of well-loved Paragon playfields out there.

#41 3 years ago

That playfield is in great condition. Much better than my working Slick Chick.

I have less of a problem with turning games into furniture IF the modification is non-destructive, and at some point someone could take the parts and build them back into a game. Absolutely never cut up an intact wiring harness.

#42 3 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

If I could be a little critical of the Paragon table - the colored LEDs for the inserts are too much, and installing the plastics would really help the artwork. I really hope CPR makes these - lots of well-loved Paragon playfields out there.

Well, if you have a junk set of plastics you want to send my way at a good price... I agree, it would look better.
The LEDS are too much for a game, but they are great for a coffee table.

#43 3 years ago

Chrisbee, is that English you're speaking?!?! hahaha.

Seriously, it not hard. The diver board is just a transistor and a resistor for each lamp or lamps that you want to control. The programming is simple and fun. The cost is all up <$40 for cpu and drivers. Take you couple of hours to make, with no experience. If you have just a few LEDs to run you can go directly from the CPU no need for the driver.
As far as programming, once all connected, you just tell the I/O on the CPU to be high or low (on or off). Here is an example for one lamp turning on and off for 1 second intervals. then you can make it random or follow a sequence.

void setup() {
// initialize digital pin 13 as an output.
pinMode(13, OUTPUT);
}
// the loop function runs over and over again forever
void loop() {
digitalWrite(13, HIGH); // turn the LED on (HIGH is the voltage level)
delay(1000); // wait for a second
digitalWrite(13, LOW); // turn the LED off by making the voltage LOW
delay(1000); // wait for a second
}

Have look here https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Products

and we will help you to get started, after all this is Pinside!!

#44 3 years ago

Chrisbee, I will look into this, I'm pretty smart and welcome a challenge!! thanks for the encouragement!! Will give this serious thought, would be intersting to play with - will check out the website.

Resto continues, have re-painted all the bumper caps, here's a before and after shot.

Hope everyone had a great 4th of July.....

bumpercap.jpg

#45 3 years ago

Well I broke down and am now at about 30hrs into it, the overlay looks amazing and with the polycarbonate playfield protector on the table looks insane!!! Dude I love the Paragon party table man, and the lights are sweet! I will follow suit guys and get my hands on a nice playfield and turn it into a coffee table, when I'm retired and dont need to take a week off from work to do this again I will put that nos playfield in someday lol!!!

GEDC0101.jpg

GEDC0104.jpg

#46 3 years ago

gmkalos,

Haha! Yep, we all know exactly what you mean, I took several days off of work just to make sure I could get my Taxi restored!!!

If anyone has two white posts, the "shorter" ones with rounded top, I need two more to complete what's missing on my Slick Chick.

#47 3 years ago

Shes a beaut!!! Thanks guys for helping motivate me to do this 45 hour project lol! One Paragon well preserved!

GEDC0147.jpg

GEDC0126.jpg

#48 3 years ago

Where did you get the overlay? It looks great.

#49 3 years ago

I got it off ebay from this guy but be forewarned check this other topic I have started about the playfield protector playing noticeably slower, either increase the pitch or use a ceramic slightly lighter pinball like I am using.

ebay.com link » Playfield Protector For Bally Paragon Pinball Machine

#50 3 years ago
Quoted from gmkalos:

I got it off ebay from this guy but be forewarned check this other topic I have started about the playfield protector playing noticeably slower, either increase the pitch or use a ceramic slightly lighter pinball like I am using.
ebay.com link » Playfield Protector For Bally Paragon Pinball Machine

Looks like a good idea...but what did you do for the in-line targets? They are supposed to be flush with the PF. Doing nothing, they'd be the thickness of the protector recessed.
--

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Luray, VA
$ 7.95
Various Novelties
Pinball Wheezer
$ 2.50
Various Novelties
Pinball Wheezer
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 11.95
$ 35.00
€ 159.00
Cabinet - Toppers
FlipperLED
$ 6,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 149.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z
$ 114.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 13.00
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
$ 120.00
There are 77 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside