slick1.jpg
DSC9810-478.jpg
DSC09792.JPG
DSC09776.JPG
DSC09775.JPG
DSC09768-306.JPG
DSC09770.JPG
DSC09772.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider oldcarz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#25 10 years ago

Happy to chime in -
Been in several private discussions with Rat where we talked about the color of our Slick Chicks.

I agree with most of the other SC club members, that this is one of the best ever. I've had many machines over the years, but down to 3 at the moment and the SC is the first one I play when I go to the basement. Love the fact that some days the machine will kill you and everything drains and then, you tell that bad girl who is boss. Have rolled the score a few times and my best is 1824...not quite as good as Rat who rolled it twice.

You can see it proudly displayed next to my TOM and Bank-A-Ball. Next in the queue is a King of Diamonds which Rat made me order.

My cabinet was recently refinished before I got it. The blue is more of a medium/navy rather than a light/"baby" blue. The pix enclosed seem to have a slight purplish cast to it, but that's likely from the flash. Depending upon the angle and lighting, the blue definitely could look quite dark, or much lighter. The blue does seem to be the same color as the pop bumpers. (which on my machine is the original marbelized plastic).

The white of the cabinet is a stark white and has faint cob web "scratches" in it. To my knowledge, this is a faithful repainting and for my purposes, is fine. I'm not able to bring my machines to the pinball festivals, but definitely think it's great that many of you do. To that, a round of applause to Rat for his Blue Ribbon example

BTW - I turn all my machines on/off via the switch on a surge protector. I can, if I want, turn the TOM off by a switch on the bottom, and the BAB can turn off by opening the coin door and tripping the relay on the back side. But it's easier to use the surge protector.

Also, you'll see in the pictures that I have a repro of the Slick Chick brochure. I went to ipdb and found the picture of the brochure and printed it out in high quality on glossy photographic paper. Looks neat.

Enjoy the games!

DSC09919-406.jpgDSC09919-406.jpg DSC09917-25.jpgDSC09917-25.jpg
1 week later
#40 10 years ago
Quoted from alb0711:

Anybody know if the webbing on my backbox was part of the original design? Cabinent was repainted with the wrong blue, but I'm not sure if the person who painted it in the past also painted the white and added the webbing. I'm preparing to repaint in original colors and want to make sure I get the white and webbing or lack of webbing correct.

photo (5)-244.JPG 25 KB

Rat may be the final authority here, he's the one who just got a blue ribbon on his Slick Chick. My machine recently had a repaint and I'm of the understanding that this is "pretty faithful" to the original. Soon it will have one of Wade's playfields put in, so when done, everything should be reasonably back to the original.

The blue is a medium Navy blue, not the dark blue or violet versions that appear in some pictures. Nor is it the light "baby blue" that is seen on others. My blue is very similar to the color of the pop bumpers and looks pretty close to the picture of Rat's as well as some of the pix that you see on the ipdb site.
The white is a stark white and the webbing is very light and delicate. From normal viewing distances, the webbing doesn't jump out at you, it looks like there is some dirty patches on the white. Only when you get really close, does it appear to be purposeful. The webbing looks like pencil marks - so it is a gray/black color. The webbing is very minimal around the coin door. As you can tell from the pix, I had to get real close with the zoom lens to bring out the details of something that you wouldn't normally see.

And for fun, I'm showing the topper for my machine. Two 1963 mags...

J

DSC09937.jpgDSC09937.jpg DSC09943.jpgDSC09943.jpg DSC09947.jpgDSC09947.jpg DSC09945.jpgDSC09945.jpg
#49 10 years ago
Quoted from alb0711:

Old cars - thanks for the photos! Sounds like a little webbing is correct. I may do without it though when I repaint. It will be very hard to not overdo the amount of webbing.
My beehive on the shooter is also white.
I'd also buy a new playfield in a heartbeat if someone made them. Please post if they become available!
Allen

The amount of webbing becomes a matter of personal taste - artistic license, perhaps. The original intent of the webbing is to break up the large white areas, making defects in the paint and wood less noticeable. For a repainting, I would suggest a little bit of webbing, rather than none at all. The webbing is part of the character and charm of these old games. Start with a little bit first and you can always go back and add a little more.

I have both a red and white beehive shooter housing. The red is an original product, the white is a new repro. Personally, I like the red since it matches the red of the cabinets. For an $8 part, it's real easy to swap out if I'm looking for a change.

I posted my highest score on it today - 2161. Still shy of Rat's record which is astounding.

J

20140411_144706.jpg20140411_144706.jpg
#57 10 years ago

2014-03-06 12.54.49.jpeg2014-03-06 12.54.49.jpeg

Quoted from Rat_Tomago:My high score progression 1955, 1990, 2028, 2115, 2413 and 2805

Something that I just noticed. Apparently, the bumper under the flippers can be set in different positions? I don't see multiple pre-drilled holes that allow the player to adjust for different positions, so was it a factory option to choose ahead of time how far apart the bumpers can be positioned? From the pictures that you posted, particularly #4, it seems as if your flippers are at the 1/2 way mark of the bumper (allowing a smaller opening down the middle). Mine appear to be set such that only 1/3 of the bumper extends inward toward the middle, allowing a larger opening down the middle. I don't see any sign of a hole repair, so it must have always been in this position.

Not that I'm looking to make a change, but a fraction more bumper would save many more drains.

Thanks

#62 10 years ago

You are correct that the picture I posted didn't have the correct apron on it. That picture was taken when I first saw the game and was told that it would be replaced once it was finished being shopped out.
The enclosed picture shows that I do have the "Balls played" apron currently installed, although it doesn't have the decal with the girls on it.

Yes, my bumpers are definitely on the conservative side. I guessed 1/3, but it is closer to 1/4...minimal help for the SDTM.

The decal with the girls is a nice touch and something that I'll try to improve upon if/when the playfield gets replaced. I'll also have the bumpers set into the conservative position.
I will also replace the "balls played" decal since mine is so aged. For $1.91, I'll go big.

Thanks for the eagle eye.

DSC09939-824.JPGDSC09939-824.JPG gtb-a4281t.jpggtb-a4281t.jpg
2 months later
#93 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

Is there a good source for the bumper caps? Does anybody sell a complete set? Steve Young seems to have them individually at $12 each and they don't seem to be the proper ones with the triangular edges.

The bumper caps from PBR are a faithful reproduction in the right color, shape and fonts, but they are not made of the "marbelized" blue and white plastic of the originals. Steve said that the stamping machines of today are different than the ones from years ago and that the marbelized plastic will not work. Getting a good set of originals is a difficult find...I know I've been trying to improve my set for awhile and a friend of mine who also has a SC has been looking for an even longer period of time. He gave up and got the set from PBR and he's happy.

4 months later
#110 9 years ago

Wondered how you got to such high scores and how my one epic game of 2000+ was routine for you.

I may have shared that I pimped my Slick Chick by adding a 100 point bell.

Happy T'giving.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shaker Heights, OH
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

1,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Staunton, VA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider oldcarz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/slick-chick-club-visitors-welcome?tu=oldcarz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.