slick1.jpg
DSC9810-478.jpg
DSC09792.JPG
DSC09776.JPG
DSC09775.JPG
DSC09768-306.JPG
DSC09770.JPG
DSC09772.JPG
There are 124 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 10 years ago

After 2 years of looking I finally found a Slick Chick. I bought it sight unseen from a seller in Nebraska on Craigs List and had it shipped to Colorado. Photos looked pretty good and seller seemed honest so I bought it.

The machine needed a good cleaning and waxing, a few switch adjustments, bulbs, new rubber, sleeves and replacement dead bumpers as the originals had partially melted. My playfield has a little wear right on the face of the rabbit with the lantern and I decided to leave that touch up to a pro sometime in the future and sometime in it's history someone painted the cabinent non-original colors, but kept the same pattern.

She's up and running now and I'm addicted. I love it when the slick chick bumpers reset after completing them. The huge drain hole and the nasty gobble make this game tough, but when you're in the groove it flows.

Will post photos soon...

I'm surprised there isn't a club already. Let's get this one going!

Allen

#2 10 years ago

One of my favorite games. Can play it for hours.
Don C.

#3 10 years ago

My Slick Chick is my desert island pin. It would be one of the last 2 or 3 to leave my collection.
IMO it is one of the toughest most challenging Gotts of the early 60's. It definitely requires your best nudging skills .
I love this game.

Brian

#4 10 years ago

Nice to see our club growing! I'm still perfecting my nudging, would like to find a way to get the ball to the upper target more often, once the ball is in the lower playfied it's tough to get it back up to the top through all the bumpers.

#5 10 years ago

I had a very nice one for a few years. i was offered a fair price for it so i decided to sell it. well i had sellers remorse with in hours but continued with the sale because i said i would sell it. it took me less than a week to find another one not quite as nice as the first but still pretty good.
this a game that lets you get just close enough to winning but stops just short, very good player

#6 10 years ago

I'm wondering if any of you have upgraded the electrical system on the machine to add grounding to the high voltage circuits and a real on/off switch? I'm torn between keeping my machine as original as possible and making it safer for home use. Everytime I knock on the bottom of it to turn it off, I cringe thinking what the impact must do long term to the wood and other components.

#7 10 years ago

Not a member, but I could play this machine forever. Absolute masterpiece of design.

Top of my wishlist.

#8 10 years ago

I picked up a nice one recently that only needed a few tweaks. So I started the tweaks, and led to screwing something up, so unfortunately she is down for a while until I get some time to mess with her again.

I will use this thread to inspire me to get that dang score reel working again!!!

#9 10 years ago

Sign me up. I just started shopping the one I picked up a year ago. I've shopped/rebuilt the head relay board, the body cabinet and the main relay board. The coin door and the playfield remain. I'll share pictures as I get through it.

I'm looking forward to the addiction of this game.

Mike O.

SC 1.jpgSC 1.jpg
SC 2.jpgSC 2.jpg

#10 10 years ago

I will spare you the pictures of my Slick Chick that just won a blue ribbon for Best Resto and 100 dollar cash prize. LOL. The reason being it is the Slick Chick that boilerman kindly sold me. Slick Chick is my desert island holy grail pin. Now if someone could find me a 1950 Gottlieb Knock Out in collector quality condition to go with it, then I would be even happier.

#11 10 years ago

I have a working project one for sale. If anyone is interested just PM.

#12 10 years ago

Slick Chick is simply a masterpiece, and that's why it is one of the only 2 pins that I have in my basement. Tough, challenging, and addicting, a game that will never leave my collection.

#13 10 years ago

Mike-o - the cabinent on your chick looks more yellow then mine. Do you know if those are original colors? I just did a minor shop on mine, I replaced the coil sleeves for the pop bumpers and coils and sleevs on two of them becuase the sleve had melted. Getting the ball in the middle of all the bumpers when they are fast and strong is a blast!

#14 10 years ago

If anyone in Texas wants to trade their original slick chick cabinet for one that is restored, let me know. I don't like restored cabinets for some reason and prefer them to be original. It looks pretty good, but the webbing is a little heavy handed in my opinion.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from alb0711:

Mike-o - the cabinent on your chick looks more yellow then mine. Do you know if those are original colors? I just did a minor shop on mine, I replaced the coil sleeves for the pop bumpers and coils and sleevs on two of them becuase the sleve had melted. Getting the ball in the middle of all the bumpers when they are fast and strong is a blast!

I'm sure the yellow tint on my cabinet is patina, not the original color. You can see a more original color at the front left leg position. It looks to be more of an eggshell color than whiter or yellowed.

Mike O.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from alb0711:

I'm wondering if any of you have upgraded the electrical system on the machine to add grounding to the high voltage circuits and a real on/off switch? I'm torn between keeping my machine as original as possible and making it safer for home use. Everytime I knock on the bottom of it to turn it off, I cringe thinking what the impact must do long term to the wood and other components.

For that era of game (including the Slick Chick that I had), I just plug them into a power strip, and then turn off the power strip when I want to power off the game. No slapping the bottom of the cab that way. And it keeps the game unmolested.

Just one of those 4 to 6 outlet strips is plenty for a run of EMs on a standard 15A wall outlet. Even better if they have surge protection and are fused.

#17 10 years ago

Well I am in, too. What a fantastic machine - I never ever wanted to own a machine with the short flippers, but Slick Chick is really special.

I bought it one week ago... condition of the machine is okay, two not so big wears, pretty good "official" backglass, repainted (not top quality) cabinet and backbox...

Beside the excellent ruleset the main attraction is the vertical and horizontal bumper action - pretty cool.
I recorded a first short video:
http://www.flippervideos.de/videos/mp4/slick_chick_1.mp4

Even though the gobble hole "steals" your ball, it is a nice feature progressing through 1 - 2 - 3 - 4. Specials are not so much of a deal in a home environment, but still they are fun!

#18 10 years ago

I guess I am a newb when it comes to these machines, but you have to knock on it to turn it on?

Also, I loved playing Slick Chick this weekend at TPF. I had never played one before and I would love to own one someday.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

I guess I am a newb when it comes to these machines, but you have to knock on it to turn it on?
Also, I loved playing Slick Chick this weekend at TPF. I had never played one before and I would love to own one someday.

You have to slam tilt it from the underside to turn it "off." I wasn't around for this era, so it confused the hell out of me on my Sing Along too.

Edit: I suppose "slam tilt" isn't exactly accurate, as it is a switch actually designed to turn it off; that's just what I've always called it. For any and all EM inquires, please always defer to master DF directly below me.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

No, to turn them on, they either need to be "coined up" (coin dropped in), or the replay button pressed (if they already have credits). If they've been modified for free play, then usually just pressing the replay button.

But to turn them off, they either need to be unplugged, or slapped on the bottom of the cabinet to activate a 'knockoff' mechanism (small plunger that bounces up to open a switch).

Gottlieb didn't add on/off power switches until about five years later.

That's why putting them on a power strip that has its own on/off switch is convenient (and preserves the originality).

#22 10 years ago

Well, I love Gigi but I am not understanding how the pop bumpers go on and off on SC - can't really get the rules from videos and never played it.

Anyone fancy explaining the basics as this game is so highly rated I need to figure out why!

#23 10 years ago

frg - looks like someone painted the head of your machine black. Mine has a strange light blue color. Why someone would change the color is beyond me! You've got some good flipper skills, those 2 inchers make ball catching a challenge!

#24 10 years ago

@ alb0711... first - thanks, but I have to get used to 2 inchers... trying to catch is not always a good idea!

Well, my cabinet and backbox are repainted. It is not black but rather dark blue. Light blue would have been the right choice. That's why I really was not sure about buying this particular machine - I do like original stuff much more...

But there are not many Slick Chicks here in Germany, so I went for it, especially because of the technical condition which is really nice! I am glad, I did it. Now I have five EMs and this is it with this era, maybe I'll trade my Jungle Queen later for something like Fast Draw or Surf Champ.

But this is a Slick Chick thread, so it is another story...

I was just at in the basement playing Twilight Zone... but at the end Slick Chick seemed to be more attractive to play!

#25 10 years ago

Happy to chime in -
Been in several private discussions with Rat where we talked about the color of our Slick Chicks.

I agree with most of the other SC club members, that this is one of the best ever. I've had many machines over the years, but down to 3 at the moment and the SC is the first one I play when I go to the basement. Love the fact that some days the machine will kill you and everything drains and then, you tell that bad girl who is boss. Have rolled the score a few times and my best is 1824...not quite as good as Rat who rolled it twice.

You can see it proudly displayed next to my TOM and Bank-A-Ball. Next in the queue is a King of Diamonds which Rat made me order.

My cabinet was recently refinished before I got it. The blue is more of a medium/navy rather than a light/"baby" blue. The pix enclosed seem to have a slight purplish cast to it, but that's likely from the flash. Depending upon the angle and lighting, the blue definitely could look quite dark, or much lighter. The blue does seem to be the same color as the pop bumpers. (which on my machine is the original marbelized plastic).

The white of the cabinet is a stark white and has faint cob web "scratches" in it. To my knowledge, this is a faithful repainting and for my purposes, is fine. I'm not able to bring my machines to the pinball festivals, but definitely think it's great that many of you do. To that, a round of applause to Rat for his Blue Ribbon example

BTW - I turn all my machines on/off via the switch on a surge protector. I can, if I want, turn the TOM off by a switch on the bottom, and the BAB can turn off by opening the coin door and tripping the relay on the back side. But it's easier to use the surge protector.

Also, you'll see in the pictures that I have a repro of the Slick Chick brochure. I went to ipdb and found the picture of the brochure and printed it out in high quality on glossy photographic paper. Looks neat.

Enjoy the games!

DSC09919-406.jpgDSC09919-406.jpg DSC09917-25.jpgDSC09917-25.jpg
#26 10 years ago

backglass.JPGbackglass.JPG whole machine.JPGwhole machine.JPG front.JPGfront.JPG playfield.JPGplayfield.JPG
#27 10 years ago

Rat - I've got chick envy. I hope my chick looks as nice as yours someday!

#28 10 years ago

oh yeah......

SC1.JPGSC1.JPG SC2.JPGSC2.JPG SC3.JPGSC3.JPG SC4.JPGSC4.JPG schiscore4.JPGschiscore4.JPG
#30 10 years ago

Gov did you play it at TPF? The pictured machine was set up in the tournament area.

#32 10 years ago

this what dans pretty machine looked like once

2011-12-09_18-34-36_787.jpg2011-12-09_18-34-36_787.jpg
#33 10 years ago

it was painted red then painted again a brownish red

// Error: Image 214904 not found //
#34 10 years ago

I had the best game on Slick Chick this evening. I scored 973 points on the first ball. I lit up 4 out of 5 buttons and 3 out of 4 roll overs on that first ball. My final score was 2805. Both specials were lit up. My highest score in the 5 months I have owned the game. The game is set on kickers to light up for 10 points after 3 buttons are completed. My pitch is set at 4%.

schiscore5.JPGschiscore5.JPG

#35 10 years ago

Nice game! My best is only 1200, but I've only had my machine a few weeks. Mine is also set for 10 points on kickers after 3 buttons are lit. When the ball gets caught up between all the pops, you can really rack up some points!

#36 10 years ago

Someday I'll get to mine.......

Slick Chick 001.jpgSlick Chick 001.jpg
#37 10 years ago

Anybody know if the webbing on my backbox was part of the original design? Cabinent was repainted with the wrong blue, but I'm not sure if the person who painted it in the past also painted the white and added the webbing. I'm preparing to repaint in original colors and want to make sure I get the white and webbing or lack of webbing correct.

photo (5)-244.JPGphoto (5)-244.JPG
#38 10 years ago

That webbing is a repaint also.

If original was webbed, it was much more delicate. I'll have to look closer at mine tonight. I'm not convinced that SC even had webbing originally.

Mike O.

#39 10 years ago

Black webbing was common but they also used silver/gray webbing on some games which almost looks black with age on some games. They even used blue. If they didn't repaint under the coin door area or the legs you might see the original.

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from alb0711:

Anybody know if the webbing on my backbox was part of the original design? Cabinent was repainted with the wrong blue, but I'm not sure if the person who painted it in the past also painted the white and added the webbing. I'm preparing to repaint in original colors and want to make sure I get the white and webbing or lack of webbing correct.

photo (5)-244.JPG 25 KB

Rat may be the final authority here, he's the one who just got a blue ribbon on his Slick Chick. My machine recently had a repaint and I'm of the understanding that this is "pretty faithful" to the original. Soon it will have one of Wade's playfields put in, so when done, everything should be reasonably back to the original.

The blue is a medium Navy blue, not the dark blue or violet versions that appear in some pictures. Nor is it the light "baby blue" that is seen on others. My blue is very similar to the color of the pop bumpers and looks pretty close to the picture of Rat's as well as some of the pix that you see on the ipdb site.
The white is a stark white and the webbing is very light and delicate. From normal viewing distances, the webbing doesn't jump out at you, it looks like there is some dirty patches on the white. Only when you get really close, does it appear to be purposeful. The webbing looks like pencil marks - so it is a gray/black color. The webbing is very minimal around the coin door. As you can tell from the pix, I had to get real close with the zoom lens to bring out the details of something that you wouldn't normally see.

And for fun, I'm showing the topper for my machine. Two 1963 mags...

J

DSC09937.jpgDSC09937.jpg DSC09943.jpgDSC09943.jpg DSC09947.jpgDSC09947.jpg DSC09945.jpgDSC09945.jpg
#41 10 years ago
Quoted from oldcarz:

Soon it will have one of Wade's playfields put in, so when done,

I've not seen any talk about Slick Chick making it near the top of Wade's repro playfield list. If it is getting there, this would be great news and I would be in for one.

Mike O.

#42 10 years ago

Your repaint is nice! Don't change a thing. It is slightly darker but even better matched blue than mine. The only thing I would change on yours in the bee hive on the shooter. Your's is red...Get a white one. I hope Wade does you guys some service and makes a repro playfield for Slick Chick soon. It would be a full on waste for me to buy one. Before I won the ribbon I contemplated repainting mine. I changed my mind completely after winning the ribbon and have moved on.

The 500 dollars I have saved will go towards small things on North Star like new bumper caps from PBR at 12 dollars a pop (5 of them) and seven pop bumper 44/47 sockets because #555 lamps under bumper caps run super hot and melt plastic. I want to buy a new coin door and chute 130 dollars and I need to make a move on one of the Shay repro backglasses for North Star at 300 dollars. The one I have is a nice original but I am nit picky.

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

I had the best game on Slick Chick this evening.

How long did you game last?

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

How long did you game last?

I didn't time it but a typical game of slick chick where you get all 5 buttons and score about 1400 will be about 3 and a half minutes. I would say my game lasted about 5 minutes to 5 and a half. It felt like I completed Slick Chick about 10-12 times. Balls 1,2 and 3 were crazy. Ball 4 was good and ball 5 was rather weak.

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Well, I love Gigi but I am not understanding how the pop bumpers go on and off on SC - can't really get the rules from videos and never played it.
Anyone fancy explaining the basics as this game is so highly rated I need to figure out why!

I'll give it a try:

The bumpers go off when hit in order, ie you must hit the S in Slick or the C in Chick before any of the others in the line will go out. The I will go out when hit in either word and doesn't have to be hit twice. You can't spot individual letters, but you can spot either word, (and score 50 points). The upper middle target alternates between awarding Slick, Chick, and both Slick and Chick (100 points!), the 2 rollover lanes at the top award Slick on the right, Chick on the left, same as the 2 lower kickout holes. It is actually more lucrative to spot the words than complete them by hitting all the bumpers as you get 50 points for spotting each word, but no special bonus score for completing the words the hard way.

Completing each Slick Chick lights one of the 5 buttons in front of the flippers, completing 3 to 5 buttons (adjustable) lights the slings to score 10 points instead of 1, major boost to scoring on a game like this

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from dgpinball:

I'll give it a try:
The bumpers go off when hit in order, ie you must hit the S in Slick or the C in Chick before any of the others in the line will go out. The I will go out when hit in either word and doesn't have to be hit twice. You can't spot individual letters, but you can spot either word, (and score 50 points). The upper middle target alternates between awarding Slick, Chick, and both Slick and Chick (100 points!), the 2 rollover lanes at the top award Slick on the right, Chick on the left, same as the 2 lower kickout holes. It is actually more lucrative to spot the words than complete them by hitting all the bumpers as you get 50 points for spotting each word, but no special bonus score for completing the words the hard way.
Completing each Slick Chick lights one of the 5 buttons in front of the flippers, completing 3 to 5 buttons (adjustable) lights the slings to score 10 points instead of 1, major boost to scoring on a game like this

Now I really want this pin as it has similarities to Gigi with a bit more depth.

#47 10 years ago

Old cars - thanks for the photos! Sounds like a little webbing is correct. I may do without it though when I repaint. It will be very hard to not overdo the amount of webbing.

My beehive on the shooter is also white.

I'd also buy a new playfield in a heartbeat if someone made them. Please post if they become available!

Allen

#48 10 years ago

Sam Harvey's Favorite, since he is not internet savvy, i am letting him in the back door.

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from alb0711:

Old cars - thanks for the photos! Sounds like a little webbing is correct. I may do without it though when I repaint. It will be very hard to not overdo the amount of webbing.
My beehive on the shooter is also white.
I'd also buy a new playfield in a heartbeat if someone made them. Please post if they become available!
Allen

The amount of webbing becomes a matter of personal taste - artistic license, perhaps. The original intent of the webbing is to break up the large white areas, making defects in the paint and wood less noticeable. For a repainting, I would suggest a little bit of webbing, rather than none at all. The webbing is part of the character and charm of these old games. Start with a little bit first and you can always go back and add a little more.

I have both a red and white beehive shooter housing. The red is an original product, the white is a new repro. Personally, I like the red since it matches the red of the cabinets. For an $8 part, it's real easy to swap out if I'm looking for a change.

I posted my highest score on it today - 2161. Still shy of Rat's record which is astounding.

J

20140411_144706.jpg20140411_144706.jpg
#50 10 years ago

My high score progression 1955, 1990, 2028, 2115, 2413 and 2805

IMG_0222.JPGIMG_0222.JPG
schiscore1-202.JPGschiscore1-202.JPG
schiscore2-553.JPGschiscore2-553.JPG
schiscore3-661.JPGschiscore3-661.JPG
schiscore4-256.JPGschiscore4-256.JPG
schiscore5-880.JPGschiscore5-880.JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Staunton, VA
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shaker Heights, OH
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 124 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/slick-chick-club-visitors-welcome and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.