DSC05578 (resized).JPG
DSC05586 (resized).JPG
DSC05583 (resized).JPG
DSC05579 (resized).JPG
DSC05576 (resized).JPG
DSC05222 (resized).JPG
DSC05218 (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

This restore has taken a lot longer than usual. There is a lot going on under the hood with this game.

Finally was able to get the innards finished and finally got on with the cabinet. It was a good cabinet painted over with a white paint and red splatter. Was able to find the original paint underneath and got a good red under a leg and blue sample for mixing inside the cabinet.

Used a Krylon silver marble can to add the webbing mixed with a little bit of thinner per Boilerman's recipe and applied through a spray gun. Think Pinhead52 does it this way to.

The cabinet was solid except the front that was delaminating, warped and needed major loving to fit back properly.
DSC05078 (resized).JPGDSC05078 (resized).JPG
DSC05218 (resized).JPGDSC05218 (resized).JPG
DSC05222 (resized).JPGDSC05222 (resized).JPG
So after much filling using Bondo and tried the Half Time product too.
First the priming using cheap auto paint. Did the spraying in my new spray booth.
DSC05576 (resized).JPGDSC05576 (resized).JPG
DSC05579 (resized).JPGDSC05579 (resized).JPG
Sanded smooth and then sprayed the base coat. Not stark white but a nice Ivory color.
DSC05578 (resized).JPGDSC05578 (resized).JPG
Then the webbing. Wow, was I uncomfortable but it was the easiest part of the work.
DSC05583 (resized).JPGDSC05583 (resized).JPG
DSC05586 (resized).JPGDSC05586 (resized).JPG
Painted with over spray (not intended) and started to put together.
DSC05590 (resized).JPGDSC05590 (resized).JPG
DSC05596 (resized).JPGDSC05596 (resized).JPG
DSC05598 (resized).JPGDSC05598 (resized).JPG
DSC05623 (resized).JPGDSC05623 (resized).JPG
DSC05632 (resized).JPGDSC05632 (resized).JPG
DSC05633 (resized).JPGDSC05633 (resized).JPG
DSC05634 (resized).JPGDSC05634 (resized).JPG

#2 7 years ago

Looks great, the webbing did come out nice.

#3 7 years ago

Looks good. What did you use for the stencil?

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from Briehl:

Looks good. What did you use for the stencil?

I make them out of 0.05" thick mylar. I make a master from the game and then make copies and cut them out. I use a electric cutter that you scribe with and it cuts the mylar like butter. You can use an exacto knife and it works fine to. Finally I use a tacky spray glue to place in position.

For a good example look at the link starting at thread #16.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-1962-world-series-pitch-bat-game-restore-%E2%80%93part-2#post-2461314

#5 7 years ago

Very nice job. Bring it to TPF and put it up against my Flipper Pool for best 60s Your colors look perfect. What did you use?

#6 7 years ago

I use a Pantone book to compare the game color and then get that matched with auto paint. I have had bad luck with the box stores as they say the Pantone swatches are too small.

The job is nice but not ready to put one of my games next to yours. I'm still learning from you guys.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from SteveinTexas:

The job is nice but not ready to put one of my games next to yours. I'm still learning from you guys.

i beg to differ, that is worthy to put up against any repaint i have seen. don't sell yourself short steve WELL DONE

#8 7 years ago

Yes, using custom colors with auto paint puts you in the big leagues. As Dave said WELL DONE.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

i beg to differ, that is worthy to put up against any repaint i have seen. don't sell yourself short steve WELL DONE

Thanks Dave,

From you that is a compliment indeed.

Learning the techniques that are described and then being able to master them is a very satisfying feeling. You and Ken have given excellent pointers and advice over the years it is fun to try them all out and so satisfying when it all works out.

#10 7 years ago

Amazing webbing job. Im about to undertake a similar project. Can you let me know what spray gun you used? I would like to get one myself. Thx

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from Chum43:

Amazing webbing job. Im about to undertake a similar project. Can you let me know what spray gun you used? I would like to get one myself. Thx

Straight up, I use the cheap Harbor Freight equipment recommended by Vid. I have one for colors and one for clear that I don't mix up. I have a third for the webbing that has a small top mounted cup.

#12 7 years ago

Stright up, I use the cheap Harbor Freight equipment recommended by Vid. I have one for colors and one for clear that I don't mix up. I have a third for the webbing that has a small top mounted cup.

Here's the one I use

http://www.harborfreight.com/touch-up-air-spray-gun-66871.html

#13 7 years ago

That webbing truly looks perfect and is the hardest part of the whole process. Well Done!

#14 7 years ago

Here is the guns I use.

Painting and Clearing. (2 separate guns)
Gun for Paint and Clear (resized).JPGGun for Paint and Clear (resized).JPG
Small touch up or as of now webbing.
Smaller Gun (resized).JPGSmaller Gun (resized).JPG

#15 7 years ago

Here is the guns I use.
Painting and Clearing. (2 separate guns)

Small touch up or as of now webbing.

Thanks for the info. I was curious about the small gravity feed and wasn't sure if they would work. Now I know! I think thats my ticket!

#16 7 years ago

Best thing about those guns is that they are basically disposable and produce a pretty nice finish.

#17 7 years ago

When spraying the webbing, do you have to wave the gun around or spray as normal and the pattern emerges??

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from DaveBuckholts:

When spraying the webbing, do you have to wave the gun around or spray as normal and the pattern emerges??

Similar to the way we spray paint, except quicker. A side was done in 3-5 seconds. I let it dry for a 10 minutes then re sprayed where I thought it was light. Did not need to touch it again.

I later on the next day made a painting mistake on the light box and had to repaint the base coat on two sides and re apply the webbing. I mixed less than 2 oz of the webbing from a spray tin added a drop of lacquer thinner stirred and added to the gun and it was similar to the first day.

The first day I sprayed most of a can into a jar before adding a thimble of thinner. An hour later I stirred the mixture a bit and added to the gun cup and lowered the recommended pressure to about 57 PSI and it was a nice light webbing without any over-spray or anything. Ten seconds later I felt confident enough to add to the cabinet. 30 seconds later I was done. I had most of the mix left, so you could practice a lot until you were sure.

Steve J.

#19 7 years ago

Quick question on the webbing Steve...
I am having a real problem getting that 4oz smaller gun up here without getting it in a $200 kit or importing it from China and incurring who knows what in duty etc.
Do you think you would get the same results using your large 20oz capacity gun?

#20 7 years ago

Yes , keep the flow 100% open and the air at 60 psi. I answered your PM. Good luck Larry and practice a bit first to get your confidence.

#21 7 years ago

This game is looking sweet. Good work buddy.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

1,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Staunton, VA
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shaker Heights, OH

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/slick-chick-cabinet-painting and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.