Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 68 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by lpeters82
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

sleeper01_LI (resized).jpg
    There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 6 years ago

Hi!

Looking at picking up a new game this spring in the $2,500ish range. I'm trying to avoid turning this into a "which game should I buy" thread because I know alot comes down to personal preference. I'm more looking for ideas on games not seen as much in the wild that are worth checking out before I make a decision. For example, I love Lawlor games, so a friend recommended I check out a Monopoly, which never even crossed my mind. Currently games on my radar are Baywatch, No Fear, and Jurassic Park (only have played JP out of these 3). Ideally looking for something with a DMD and 2 or more ramps. Also a big fan of drop targets. Just wanted to ask not so much "what should I buy" but what should I check out that isn't typically floating around on location. Thanks!

#2 6 years ago

I'd say WPT. Might be a little higher than your budget, but it checks a lot of boxes on your list. Deep rules, ramps, drop targets and not a lot of people have it in their collection. It's not designed by Lawlor, unfortunately, but it does have Keith Johnson on the coding keyboard.

#3 6 years ago

Baywatch out of your list for sure. Pretty challenging game to make it to earthquake mode.

#4 6 years ago

Last Action Hero is a grossly underrated game. Lots to do, lots of depth, and at a great price. If you can find the alternate backglass without Arnold's big mug on it all the better. Feature list below:

Flippers (2), Pop bumpers (3), Ramps (1), Scoops (3), Captive balls (2), 6-ball Multiball mode, Automatic Plunger, Game-controlled Magnets (3), 5-bank targets (1), Shaker motor, Motorized crane target moves ball from one ramp to another, Ripper target when hit returns ball at fast speed, Smart Missile button awards current award when pressed. Three electromagnets under the playfield affect ball movement when energized.

#5 6 years ago

Be careful of the recent "sleepers" because many are terrible. I'm thinking WPT, NASCAR, WWE, CSI...

If you really want a "sleeper" bargain stick with EMs or old digitals under $1,000, or any 90s WPC game at or under the $2500 mark.

There's really very few bargains in pinball these days.

#6 6 years ago

There is nothing wrong with WPT Levi. Great game!

#7 6 years ago

RollerCoaster Tycoon is another cool Lawlor game you can get for 2's. It's got a lot going on with some neat features and 4 flippers as well.

I would definitely get some significant play on it first, as the price suggests, opinions are far from unanimous on it.

#8 6 years ago

Gottlieb system 3 games like gladiators, data east games, last action i think was said, rocky and bullwinkle, jp, system 11 games like rollergames, 6803 like atlantis or strange science

#9 6 years ago

My recommendation is Stargate. Has everything you’re looking for and a great rule set.

#10 6 years ago

Some sleepers well within your budget:

DE Maverick
    Bally Atlantis

#11 6 years ago

Starship troopers. Great game lots of different multiball modes

#13 6 years ago

I agree. Stargate is an excellent game.

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from HoneyBadger:

Some like it some don't. I just can't get into the layout, at all. The theme and general tacky look of the game doesn't help either.

People who like deep and convoluted rulesets might get into it. A lot of work certainly went into the software.

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from HoneyBadger:

This title specifically comes down to what people look for in a game. If people like theme immersion and cool factor WPT is just about the worst game on the planet. It has absolutely nothing going for it. Terrible theme, callouts, music, art, etc. If people strictly like rules and base their judgement off that WPT is a top contender and seriously one of the greats. Most people fall somewhere in the middle and unfortunately for WPT the theme and excitement factor is so brutal that people never actually get into the game to see where it shines.

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from brad808:

This title specifically comes down to what people look for in a game. If people like theme immersion and cool factor WPT is just about the worst game on the planet. It has absolutely nothing going for it. Terrible theme, callouts, music, art, etc. If people strictly like rules and base their judgement off that WPT is a top contender and seriously one of the greats. Most people fall somewhere in the middle and unfortunately for WPT the theme and excitement factor is so brutal that people never actually get into the game to see where it shines.

It's true about the music and sound. Some of the worst in modern pinball. Most of it sounds like it came from a public domain bank.

#17 6 years ago

RBION is a Lawlor game that is packed and a lot of funny. It's better than Monopoly but an ugly game to look at, though.

#18 6 years ago

Judge Dredd is a great game and honestly still undervalued IMHO.

Not many DMDs last long in my collection but I liked JD enough to upgrade to a nicer version and it have been around for a few years.

#19 6 years ago

Wow, lots of quick and helpful responses here! I've got a WPT near me, and I'm okay with the theme, but haven't played it enough to really notice the depth. One of the big turnoffs for me initially was the stop and go of the ramps, something about that was just really unsatisfying for me...can't really put my finger on it. Stargate and Starship Troopers I can't recall ever seeing in person - I'm going to take a look into both of those. Appreciate the input!

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

Wow, lots of quick and helpful responses here! I've got a WPT near me, and I'm okay with the theme, but haven't played it enough to really notice the depth. One of the big turnoffs for me initially was the stop and go of the ramps, something about that was just really unsatisfying for me...can't really put my finger on it. Stargate and Starship Troopers I can't recall ever seeing in person - I'm going to take a look into both of those. Appreciate the input!

FYI you can turn off the ramp holds in service menu for WPT and I'm assuming most people do. Same with the orbit. If you are looking for depth you absolutely won't find anything with deeper rules in that price range.

#21 6 years ago

There aren't any sleepers anymore, really. SEGA games probably area still a bit underrated....

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

RBION is a Lawlor game that is packed and a lot of funny. It's better than Monopoly but an ugly game to look at, though.

Did you miss "in the $2,500ish range"? RBION is well north of that.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/archive?s=1&ad_machine_key=1153&sort_by=ad_end_date&sort_order=DESC#results

#23 6 years ago

Demo man, Johnny Mnemonic and World Cup Soccer 94 come to mind.

#24 6 years ago

Most of the games that put me to sleep cost more than $2500.

#25 6 years ago

Another vote for Stargate. It has two challenging ramps, 5 drops (Admittedly not a huge part of the game, but they do have a few different functions), two wizard modes, lots of strategy. Been my only pin for two years, and I still enjoy it so much I don't want to let it go.

#26 6 years ago

I'll counter the Stargate suggestion.
    It's a beautiful game. Probably one of the nicer looking games ever. But I found myself not having fun when I played it. I sold it to a pin friend who was a SCI-FI fan, and who thought he'd love it. He got rid of it soon after he got it. It's really not all that fun or satisfying, for some odd reason. It's nice to look at, though.

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

It's a beautiful game. Probably one of the nicer looking games ever. But I found myself not having fun when I played it. I sold it to a pin friend who was a SCI-FI fan, and who thought he'd love it. He got rid of it soon after he got it. It's really not all that fun or satisfying, for some odd reason. It's nice to look at, though.

interesting... Stargate was probably the 5th game in the door and is still here years later. It is also and often loved game when guests come over.

#28 6 years ago

Might want to look at Sharkey's Shootout. Its miss on your criteria is it is a one-ramp game. However, it has 8 drop targets (that see a lot of use), is DMD, 90s-era depth of code, not seen often, and generally goes for under your listed price range. Basically plays like Eight Ball Deluxe but with deeper code and a more forgiving, modified layout (and indeed something you'd want to try first, but if you love drops it might get you to look past the lack of a 2nd ramp).

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

interesting... Stargate was probably the 5th game in the door and is still here years later. It is also and often loved game when guests come over.

You have my old Stargate.

#30 6 years ago

My first thought as soon as I read this thread title was Stargate. I just sold mine after being in my collection by far the longest of any game (10 years). It checks every box for what you are looking for. Great rules which make you shoot all over the playfield, drops which you need to hit in a sequential order, two sets of modes and wizard modes, a great skill shot and a nice backglass.

#31 6 years ago

Johnny Mnemonic. I really regret selling that game.

#32 6 years ago

Gilligan's Island for the win! Not a very deep game, but the shots are great and the rotating island is a great toy.

#33 6 years ago

I made a list a year or so ago by going through similar threads:

#no-good-gofers
    Goldeneye
    Last Action Hero
    Dirty Harry - slightly disagree
    Tales from the Crypt - highly recommend
    Judge Dredd
    Starship Troopers
    Johnny Mnemonic
    Who Dunnit

Oh and i heard lots of good things about Baywatch

#34 6 years ago

Apollo 13.

#35 6 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

You have my old Stargate.

yup

#36 6 years ago

One I just purchased for the second time-

Getaway High Speed II

#37 6 years ago

Can B/W games really be sleepers these days?

#38 6 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

Can B/W games really be sleepers these days?

The ones I own tend to keep me awake late into the night.

#39 6 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

Stargate is a shit salad of the highest order for sure.
    This is the textbook example for "wow look at how much stuff is in this game so that means it's good."

#40 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Stargate is a shit salad of the highest order for sure.
    This is the textbook example for "wow look at how much stuff is in this game so that means it's good."

The problem with Stargate is somehow 4 or 5 really loud people managed to convince a bunch of other people that "it's the Gottlieb worth owning."

It's not, as it's a 90s gottlieb, none of which are worth owning. But you've got people paying WPC money for Stargate these days instead of just paying $1000 for a Mario Andretti, which makes much more sense if you really want to get that 90s gottlieb experience into your basement. Choose wisely folks!

#41 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The problem with Stargate is somehow 4 or 5 really loud people managed to convince a bunch of other people that "it's the Gottlieb worth owning."

Neo was really beating that drum when I started collecting...... It's mostly his fault.

#42 6 years ago

Come over & play my Baywatch anytime.

#43 6 years ago

Dirty Harry is a really fun game that falls into your price point. Lots of fun modes, tough wizard mode, several different multi balls, and the gun.

#44 6 years ago

Waterworld. I call it the poor mans MM... not many know how deep it actually is code wise. Not a masterpiece but for 1000-1500 it’s a good deal.

#45 6 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

Waterworld. I call it the poor mans MM...

#46 6 years ago

#47 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballocks:

Come over & play my Baywatch anytime.

I'd take you up on that! I'll shoot you a PM. I'd love to see if it's something I'm into.

Quoted from brad808:

FYI you can turn off the ramp holds in service menu for WPT and I'm assuming most people do. Same with the orbit. If you are looking for depth you absolutely won't find anything with deeper rules in that price range.

This could actually be a game changer for me. Have you played it like this? I'm assuming it really ups the flow of the game.

Lots of love coming in for Stargate too...seems like it might be worth taking for a spin.

#48 6 years ago

I have a lot of sub 2500 games, if youre ever by toledo, you can always swing by. I just sold 4 or 5 low end games too

#49 6 years ago

Roadshow, very under rated and a lot of Pinball fun for the money.

T3 is also a lot of fun on the cheap

#50 6 years ago
    Quoted from PNBLWZD:

Roadshow, very under rated and a lot of Pinball fun for the money.
    T3 is also a lot of fun on the cheap

T3 was half on my radar too...are there traditional modes or is it more the T2 style progression?

There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sleeper-games-to-consider-for-purchase/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.