• Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

b3695cf3c4824ccc262b4f851e39b14c7914b8a5 (resized).jpg
3558aa6fc3f5560f0e00973e70ab2d1b405a4a93 (resized).jpg

#1 18 days ago

I want to give a bit back to Pinside folks by offering a mod to a handful of people for free, or just enough to cover some costs. I haven't worked out how many I can do, nor how much (if anything) it'll cost to get these out to people. I don't have all the details worked out in my head yet, so I'm not taking names and have nothing definitive planned. All I know is I am trying to figure out the best way to get this to the most people for the lowest amount. (This is not a big production thing, let's set expectations... I'm not a business, I'm just trying to get a handful or two out to people). But the ease at which I can put all this together, the more I can do. If there is enough interest, I'll try to work out how to meet that interest. Here's the back story:

I've really disliked the metal bracket just above the shooter lane, and wanted to cover it up. I thought a nice 3d model of a miniature guitar would look great. (It's GNR after-all, and who doesn't want more guitar?) I've made a few brackets, and painted up and tweaked a model guitar to match Slash's most iconic Gibsons. It is coming along well, and I continue to tweak things as I get more input from pinsiders. I have a highly detailed 3D wooden model of a Gibson-style hollow-body guitar, strings, frets, tuners, multi-coat gloss instrument-grade lacquer et. al. -- in 2 out of 3 of Slash's iconic paint schemes. (I'm working on the third now). To date, here's what I have mocked up so far.

(I created this thread to avoid clogging up the main GNR thread. It also helps me keep everyone's input tidy. Thanks again for all of your help.

3558aa6fc3f5560f0e00973e70ab2d1b405a4a93 (resized).jpg
#2 18 days ago

Those look cool! I would be in for one if you have extras!

#3 18 days ago

I am in for your guitar mod. Looks fantastic.

#4 18 days ago

Your pic from a distance gives great perspective!
Your changes/tweaks is improving on this and looking very good!
Curious on different orientations like neck up in direction of the ball, or pointed towards the shooter.
Too much of the bracket may be left exposed?

b3695cf3c4824ccc262b4f851e39b14c7914b8a5 (resized).jpg

#5 18 days ago

I'm still in ! Let me know when available. Thanks

#6 18 days ago

Following

#7 18 days ago

Sign me up! That looks awesome!

#8 18 days ago

This is super impressive! Love the mod. I know people talked about adding strings but I think it looks great with 4 otherwise I’d worry it’s too crowded. Only other thing when you mentioned orientation is I wonder if you could mount it at like a 30ish degree angle to make it more “dynamic” rather than straight across? Basically keep it as is but just tilt the neck up a little up or towards the top of the playfield. More like how you would hold it playing rather than just rested. Just a thought but if you just left it as is it would still be awesome! Great work and thanks in advance!

#9 18 days ago

Count me in. Looks great.

#10 18 days ago

looks great !

#11 18 days ago
Quoted from Vespula:

Your pic from a distance gives great perspective!
Your changes/tweaks is improving on this and looking very good!
Curious on different orientations like neck up in direction of the ball, or pointed towards the shooter.
Too much of the bracket may be left exposed?
[quoted image]

I tried a few orientations. #1 most important was to not block the lane above it because the entire skill shot system is based on seeing those lights. That forces a neck left or right orientation. Right doesn't work because it's too close to the wall.

HOWEVER, there is a lot of room for customization with the left orientation. Neck could be tilted down, even or up. Also, the angle of the guitar can be adjusted from flat against the plate to 90 degrees so it is directly facing you. I gave it a slight angle. These are easily adjusted.

#12 18 days ago

I would take one as well and have NO issues paying for it and shipping.

#13 18 days ago

Looks great! Count me in!
Thanks
Ed

#14 18 days ago

count me in, love em.

#15 17 days ago

I’d love one. Thank you!!!

#16 17 days ago

Looks great, well done!

I’m interested to take one as well.

#17 17 days ago

Update: I am currently testing several shades of gold paint. I've tried 3 already, and I think they are too goldish-copper. I'm looking for a lighter yellow. Really trying to get this right! I've also ordered more instrument lacquer for the gloss coats. Should arrive in a few days. I use Behlen instrument lacquer when I make real instruments, so I figure it'd be good for this miniature too. But it also needs to work with the gold paint under it. I've never used a metallic paint under lacquer before, so some more testing is needed.

#18 16 days ago

Thank you for your efforts!

1 week later
#19 9 days ago

Update: I have about half a dozen gold paints on a test strip. I haven't chosen the gold yet. I'm going to bring it to a Guitar Center and compare them against a Gibson and select whichever is closest. I think I know which it will be, but I'd like to see it in person.

#20 9 days ago

Let us know what we can do to support you and order!! Thanks for your efforts.

#21 6 days ago
Quoted from Trojanlaw:

Let us know what we can do to support you and order!! Thanks for your efforts.

Very kind; thank you!

#22 6 days ago

What a great ideal , that bracket needs to be hidden. I’m very interested

#23 6 days ago

I'd like one for my game please, should you offer them for sale.

#24 5 days ago

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I'm going on vacation for about a week, but when I get back, I'll kick things into high(er) gear!

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside