Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

33333 (resized).jpg
twelve_(resized).jpg
U7_U8_use1_(resized).jpg
U7_-_U8__PDB_pin_5_(resized).jpg
TAF-opto-isolators_(resized).png
TAF-opto-isolators_(resized).png
There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 8 years ago

Followup/Status Report:
I replaced the ribbon cable between the CPU and the Powerdriver board and that resolved the issue of no continuity between the Power Driver Board and the CPU. All switches are registering in Switch test mode. The game boots up and plays fine, but when I press both flipper buttons, (all four flipper buttons activated) I am still getting the slam tilt and the game reboots. I tested voltages with the game in diagnostic test mode and got the following:

TP1 (12v unregulated) -- 14.89v
TP2 (+5v) -- 4.98v on the Power Driver Board and 4.96 on the CPU
TP3 (12v regulated) -- 11.8 on Power driver board and 11.75 on CPU
TP7 (20v) 21.9v
TP8 (18v) -- 18.3v

I started a game and measured the 5 volt and 12 regulated voltages with one flipper button activated. The 5volt stayed at 4.89 on the CPU but the 12v regulated immediately dropped down to between 6.56 - 10 volt which makes me think I have a problem with the 12 regulated Power supply. Comments or ideas?

#52 8 years ago
#53 8 years ago

Thanks Zaza's! That is it 12vreg dropping way down when one or Both sets of flippers energized. What parts on the power board would be suspect? Could CPU be suspect also
?

#54 8 years ago

Best measure the voltages without the light-show, so go into test-menu T1 and the lightshow stops. Now measure 'red' voltages as in picture, with and without flipperbuttons activated. Where does it drop ?

1st suspect are in green circles, including the traces below C2.

twelve_(resized).jpgtwelve_(resized).jpg

#55 8 years ago

Here are results with and without pressing both flipper buttons in T1 Diagnostic test:
TP 8 -- 18.18/17.92
C3 -- 16.8/16.42
F115: 11.76/6.8v.

So the voltage drop is occurring after C2. So it looks like C2 is bad not BR1? Could Q2 be bad?

#56 8 years ago

zaza rules.

#57 8 years ago
Quoted from Chet:

Here are results with and without pressing both flipper buttons in T1 Diagnostic test:
TP 8 -- 18.18/17.92
C3 -- 16.8/16.42
F115: 11.76/6.8v.
So the voltage drop is occurring after C2. So it looks like C2 is bad not BR1? Could Q2 be bad?

C2 is my guess based on that

#59 8 years ago

Yes, most likely now is a leaking C2 with bad traces below. The chances that Q2 is bad are minimal but not impossible.

Best to do now is take the board out and remove C2 and check/clean traces in that area.

, thanks mot

#61 8 years ago

Guess I did.... Anyway, I installed this daughterboard on my CftBL and all my reset problems were gone.....

#62 8 years ago

I will pull the board, inspect, and replace C2 and post after I get board back in game.

#63 8 years ago

I replaced C2 and also C4 while I was at it. C2 had failed and started leaking electrolyte. Cleaned board and inspected traces, they were good. I used a fiberglass fine point pin to first clean the old solder joints on the old C2 pins and used lots of liquid flux. I added a little fresh solder, then I I used my new Hakko 472 Desoldering station gun to desolder the old cap and removed it. Once electrolyte leaks, it will contaminate the solder and requires special care to desolder the bad component. Just need to take your time and be careful. I next installed the board and played several test games. All is well, activated both flippers during game play at same time and no slam tilts or reboots. thanks everyone for helping me diagnose and resolve my problem, especially to Zaza for the great schematics and nailing the problem and providing the steps to trace the problem. It is satisfying to troubleshoot problem and repair in a systematic, way, not just shot gun things.

lessons learned:
1) The Cpu to Powerdriver Board ribbon Cable can go bad and not provide good connectivity: When in doubt replace them.
2) slam tilt and reboot and other strange behavior can be caused by failed or failing 12v regulated circuit, always check/replace C2. I think these are prone to failing and leaking in these older games, especially if the cap is original. Perhaps because they sit close th the voltage regulator/heat sink.
3) don't be afraid to ask for help here on Pinside. There are lots of extremely talented folks here that are willing to help those who want to help themselves.

#64 8 years ago

Well done Chet and thanks for the summary.

#65 8 years ago
Quoted from Chet:

I replaced C2 and also C4 while I was at it. C2 had failed and started leaking electrolyte. Cleaned board and inspected traces, they were good. I used a fiberglass fine point pin to first clean the old solder joints on the old C2 pins and used lots of liquid flux. I added a little fresh solder, then I I used my new Hakko 472 Desoldering station gun to desolder the old cap and removed it. Once electrolyte leaks, it will contaminate the solder and requires special care to desolder the bad component. Just need to take your time and be careful. I next installed the board and played several test games. All is well, activated both flippers during game play at same time and no slam tilts or reboots. thanks everyone for helping me diagnose and resolve my problem, especially to Zaza for the great schematics and nailing the problem and providing the steps to trace the problem. It is satisfying to troubleshoot problem and repair in a systematic, way, not just shot gun things.
lessons learned:
1) The Cpu to Powerdriver Board ribbon Cable can go bad and not provide good connectivity: When in doubt replace them.
2) slam tilt and reboot and other strange behavior can be caused by failed or failing 12v regulated circuit, always check/replace C2. I think these are prone to failing and leaking in these older games, especially if the cap is original. Perhaps because they sit close th the voltage regulator/heat sink.
3) don't be afraid to ask for help here on Pinside. There are lots of extremely talented folks here that are willing to help those who want to help themselves.

4 years later
#66 3 years ago

This thread is awesome. Thank you @Chet. My TAF is sick too.

Could someone please look at my C2 and tell me whether this needs replacing? The cap looks solid but that black on the trace looks ungood. Thoughts?

EDIT: also take a look at the corrosion under the screw mounted vertically to the heatsink, just to the right of the C2.

33333 (resized).jpg33333 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,159.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 27.99
Rubber/Silicone
Comet Pinball

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 1,059.00
$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 140.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/slam-tilt-and-game-reboots-on-taf-with-both-flipper-activated/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.