IMG_1149 (resized).jpg
IMG_1148 (resized).jpg
IMG_1147 (resized).jpg
SF switch matrix (resized).JPG
switch matrix (resized).JPG
door slam switch (resized).jpg
pinball door (resized).jpg

#1 4 years ago

ok, installed new eproms and finally got everything working...for several games. Then the game quit problem came back. I checked all coil diodes, and didn't see any ground problems in the new power and 6803 boards. Then it occurred to me that the slam switch description matches what the game is doing. Trouble is, the previous owner had cut the red & yellow wires and removed the slam switch. It's the only slam switch so I don't see how it can be registering. Any ideas?

pinball door (resized).jpgpinball door (resized).jpg
#2 4 years ago

Is the slam switch on your switch matrix ? If so classic switch matrix error. Switch wired wrong, diode on backwards, a short to switch wiring or switch lugs.

Or another one in your game on the floor of the cabinet ?

LTG : )

#3 4 years ago

yes, the door slam switch is listed in the column with the coin chutes. Not sure what you mean by wired wrong, diode on backwards etc. The switches for the coin chutes both work but I use free play. I'm ok with eliminating the slam switch. what do you think ? try and find a slam switch or is there something I can do with the cut red and yellow wires?

#4 4 years ago

This is a picture of a working special force door and slam switch

door slam switch (resized).jpgdoor slam switch (resized).jpg
#5 4 years ago
Quoted from mrmwt:

Not sure what you mean by wired wrong, diode on backwards etc

Just what I posted. Your issue could be anywhere on the switch matrix, in the game. Might not be isolated to the coin door.

LTG : )

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from mrmwt:

yes, the door slam switch is listed in the column with the coin chutes. Not sure what you mean by wired wrong, diode on backwards etc. The switches for the coin chutes both work but I use free play. I'm ok with eliminating the slam switch. what do you think ? try and find a slam switch or is there something I can do with the cut red and yellow wires?

What LTG is saying is the slam tilt is in the same row of other switches then you need to check all those switches in that same row.Like a bad/faulty diode,wire soldered in wrong order,ect.Work your way across that whole row according to the switch matrix chart.Or like you said in same column work your way upstream on all those switches in the column.follow the same color wiring.

#7 4 years ago

Thank you for clarifying that. I'll check the diodes on each switch. I ordered a new slam switch and diode. The switch matrix column shows 3 coin chutes (left, right, and middle) but the door only has two??? I ordered extra 2004 diodes, they should be ok for switches correct?

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from mrmwt:

Thank you for clarifying that. I'll check the diodes on each switch. I ordered a new slam switch and diode. The switch matrix column shows 3 coin chutes (left, right, and middle) but the door only has two??? I ordered extra 2004 diodes, they should be ok for switches correct?

Hold on,Some Switches need diodes and some do not!Dont not put a diode on a switch not knowing if it does or doesn’t.The game manual/schematics will tell you and at this point it would be very handy to have
If those switches have diodes on them,yes test them if any are bad/shorted then just replace them with new diode and put them back in the same banded side order

#9 4 years ago

HMMM now I'm confused. The picture of the slam switch doesn't seem to show a diode but the game matrix shows a diode at each game switch. Any Special Force guys able to shed some light?

switch matrix (resized).JPGswitch matrix (resized).JPG
#10 4 years ago

Very hard for me to see but if you look on the bottom right hand side of that page it says
1.all switch diodes are ?
Man I need glasses

#11 4 years ago

The Special Force manual is crap and drives everyone nuts. Anyway, it says the diode is IN4140 but I'm pretty sure I can substitute a 4004. I'm posting a matrix that I found. I'm not sure why the strobe column and the rows both show two sets of wires. The cut wires at the missing slam switch are yellow and red/green as indicated but when I went to the right outlane switch they were the other colors. Should I only be concerned with switches with red/green?

SF switch matrix (resized).JPGSF switch matrix (resized).JPG
#12 4 years ago

Ok those diodes will be fine,
All 3 of those switches are in the same column but all 3 are in different rows that’s the reason your seeing different color wiring on the right outlane switch.The slam,tilt,and right outlane,those switches should all be the same color wiring going upstream in that column-white/blue and red/green but are different colors going across in their rows.I would just go ahead and put that switch in and make sure the diode is soldered in the correct order

#13 4 years ago

Tested the diodes on the two coin switches and they were both shorted. I'm going to replace them when they come in. Question, only the right coin switch is presently hooked up and working. The other had the wires cut off with the slam switch. It appears they just run over from the right switch. Is it necessary to run new wires over or can I just leave them cut since I only use free play anyway.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from mrmwt:

Tested the diodes on the two coin switches and they were both shorted. I'm going to replace them when they come in. Question, only the right coin switch is presently hooked up and working. The other had the wires cut off with the slam switch. It appears they just run over from the right switch. Is it necessary to run new wires over or can I just leave them cut since I only use free play anyway.

Honestly I would just leave it the way it is since the game is in your home and not on route.No need for coins when set on free play

#15 4 years ago

I would be happy to leave well enough alone but the game keeps reacting like the slam switch is being activated stopping game play and turning off all the attraction lights except the lower lights. The idea that the problem probably lies in the switch matrix got me started down this road.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from mrmwt:

I would be happy to leave well enough alone but the game keeps reacting like the slam switch is being activated stopping game play and turning off all the attraction lights except the lower lights. The idea that the problem probably lies in the switch matrix got me started down this road.

Yes that would be a pain in the ass playing a game and hoping it will not tilt or slam during gameplay.Let me ask you this while playing a game does slam/tilt happen when a certain switch is hit?Or does it happen when the ball is in a certain area on the playfield?

#17 4 years ago

Great question, And thanks for helping me think this through. I was trying to figure out a relationship during gameplay but it seemed to offer no relationship. It even froze up right after a ball was served into the shooter lane. Researching this, it was mentioned about a "ghost" trigger in the matrix. Still waiting on the diodes and slam switch. I think I'll try to rewire the door switch when they get here. Any chance you have a Special Force? The left coin switch has two red wires (and a blue) and from the pic, I can't tell the trace colors of the red. Looking to see which one went where.

#18 4 years ago

I’m sorry no I don’t have a special force.This really puzzling but how about trying this to see if it makes any changes.Unhook/disconnect all wires to all the coin chutes,Slam,tilt,plumb bob switch under playfield in the cabinet.Disconnect them all and let’s see if you can play a game without it tilting or slam tilting the game to shut down.I know you already stated that the slam and tilt are already disconnected but just to test and see disconnect all the other as well.Take pics so you will know where all the wiring goes back,it’s easier that way

#19 4 years ago

Well crap, went to take your advice. Turned it on and got 1 flash (reason I replaced eproms). On the 4th try, it started, everything looked good. Started game play and it fed a ball then shut down with a loud transformer buzz. That's the only major part I haven't replaced. Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree. What do you think?

#20 4 years ago

Did you just buy the game recently?Was it sold to you as a project pin? The roms you put in did you put them in the correct way according to the notch?The notch is on the rom and on the board,It’s a ‘U’ shape

#21 4 years ago

No, I've been working on this off and on for over four years. I replaced the MPU and power boards with new ones. Bought a rebuilt sound board and installed new displays. Replaced most of the MPU plugs and exchanged most of the coils. Still cannot get any reliable play out of it. Like I said, the only major item I haven't changed is the transformer, and now I'm wondering if that is not failing.

#22 4 years ago

I see,Are all the wires connected to the transformer in good shape?

#23 4 years ago

Looks ok, I get all the proper volts except 4.8 on the 5 volt test point which is a little low. Not sure if that could do it. I quickly shut her off when the game freezes and buzzes because I fear burning something up so I don't know the voltages at that time.

#24 4 years ago

just finished testing every switch diode in the game. Like I said, the only coils that haven't been replaced are the three target in the box and I ordered them. Started a video to show what happens but of course it played fine. Shure is driving me nuts.

2 weeks later
#25 4 years ago

I have a Special Force. Just took a look and the wires going to the coin switch are 2 red with green trace and 1 blue, the other coin switch has 2 red with green trace and 1 brown with white trace. Thanks for getting me to take a look, seems my blue wire needs a little attention.

IMG_1147 (resized).jpgIMG_1147 (resized).jpgIMG_1148 (resized).jpgIMG_1148 (resized).jpgIMG_1149 (resized).jpgIMG_1149 (resized).jpgIMG_1150 (resized).jpgIMG_1150 (resized).jpg
#26 4 years ago

Thank you PinballforRob for the pics. I got the slam switch in but it looks like I will need the metal bracket to function. I got the game to start and play but it still has freeze/reset issues but I don't think they are related to the switch matrix. Anyway thanks again for the pics.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Machine - For Sale
Blaine, TN
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/slam-switch-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.