Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20160217_182544597_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160217_182600738_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160217_182535780_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160217_182549673_(resized).jpg
#1 8 years ago

My son and I are of a different opinions I have a Sky Lab pin that I recently purchased the play field was very dirty I have cleaned and polished but all of the inserts where all lose and sunken for a while the way it looks. Any way there is some where and I think that it needs painted my son says that I should leave it and just clear coat the field and call it good. I would like to get the opinions of the folks here before I do some thing. I have the ability to get a custom adhesive stencil so that I can redo the lettering and am just planning on painting the parts that have bare wood. What is the best approach?

IMG_20160217_182549673_(resized).jpgIMG_20160217_182549673_(resized).jpg

IMG_20160217_182535780_(resized).jpgIMG_20160217_182535780_(resized).jpg

IMG_20160217_182600738_(resized).jpgIMG_20160217_182600738_(resized).jpg

IMG_20160217_182544597_(resized).jpgIMG_20160217_182544597_(resized).jpg

#2 8 years ago

Looks like a nice project. I would touch it up myself. I would not clear it in its present condition though. Do some thorough research on it and give it a go. There are some introductory videos on playfield restoration out on the interwebs and some great work out here by some talented Pinsiders.

#3 8 years ago

Just do paint touch ups and polish with Novus 2. Then put a good coat of carnauba wax on the playfield. When you clear coat a playfield like this you ruin the originality of the game and greatly change the way the game plays. Also, there could be major consequences in the future with the clear coat cracking... Clear coating playfields and sealing backglasses on EM and early SS games also devalues them if you want to sell in the future...

#4 8 years ago

I would do a few really minor touch up's with enamel. Only areas that really are in the eye so to speak.

Actually maybe only the tiny bit next to the 15000.

I wouldn't touch in the inserts as invariably they look worse.

Clean it, wax it and it will look pretty nice while maintaining it's originality.

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from fredsmythson:

Just do paint touch ups and polish with Novus 2. Then put a good coat of carnauba wax on the playfield. When you clear coat a playfield like this you ruin the originality of the game and greatly change the way the game plays. Also, there could be major consequences in the future with the clear coat cracking... Clear coating playfields and sealing backglasses on EM and early SS games also devalues them if you want to sell in the future...

Without clear or another kind of protection the paint will wear off. And wax is NOT protection.

#6 8 years ago

But - assuming that the game is kept very well waxed - only the minor touch-ups will (maybe) wear off (after a considerable number of plays), so the playfield will be back where it is now condition-wise, and a decision can be made in the future. Also, minor touch-ups can be protected by being painted over with a varnish before waxing, which is perhaps a good alternative to clear-coating the whole playfield.

#7 8 years ago

You should give it to me and I'll shoulder the burden of deciding.

If it were mine I would touch it up and clearcoat it. Sure it reduces the collector value and will play a little differently, but how much is it worth as is? And you'll be afraid to play it and risk wearing off whats left if it's not coated. I think if it's not a minty collector's piece it's better being able to play the crap out of it without worry.

That being said you can do a thin clear over what's there, then do touchups, then clear over that. This allows you to back out if touchups don't go well.

Touch up the black lines and borders first. You'll be amazed how much this does for the overall look.

#8 8 years ago

I agree with many of the previous posts. Your pf is not too bad! I would just do minor touch-ups & brush clear the minor touch-ups for protection then x 10 wax the whole pf. There are some really good threads on restoring the arch ball line which would be useful on your pf. For home use that will be fine & should all look great. Clear coating an em pf is not for me-there just seems something unnatural about the final result & there is no turning back!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
La Fayette, IL

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/skylab-to-paint-or-not-to-paint and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.