Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by zh2oson
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I'm working on a Skylab pin for a friend of mine. The last (known) problem I have is that the game awards a double bonus on every ball - not just the last ball. I can't figure out why.

The ball count unit seems to be working fine - as does the Spacelab advance / step down unit. I've examined every relay that appears to be relevant, and they all look OK. I can't see anything obviously wrong with the score motor. The timing of the switch stacks / cams appears to be right. And, if I look through the coin door during "game play", I can see that the double bonus relay only activates on the last ball (as it should). And yet, the game still awards a double bonus on every ball - not just the last ball. Any thoughts on why this might be?

Thanks in advance for any help

#2 6 years ago

Check the M/B on the Ball Index relay, and if not that, 3C on the score motor.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from 350zguy:

the game awards a double bonus on every ball - not just the last ball

What are the Bonus relay and Double Bonus relay doing when this happens?

#4 6 years ago

Also, check the switch on the double bonus relay with the yellow wire and red/green wire. This should be a normally open (NO) switch during the start of the game. If it's out of adjustment and in the closed position, it will cause the double bonus relay coil to be constantly energize... You can block off that switch with a piece of paper or tape, and if you're still getting power to the relay, then power is coming from another source. Probably from a ball index relay switch and/or the ball count unit.

If there is an issue with the ball count unit rotation, then this could send power through the ball index relay. Make sure the ball count unit is operating properly by manually advancing it by pushing in on the ball advance solenoid plunger...

#5 6 years ago

Who cares? It’s Skylab.

Sorry, just kidding. Skylab was in the VFW in Barnesville MN, that I’d play as a kid when visiting my grandparents for the summer. It was by the door, so even though it was a bar, the owner would let me play it. 10 cents a play, 3 for a quarter. It was total love/hate. The ball mechnism up the middle was so tantalizing to hit, and so dangerous. And then....nothing else. Just one of those Williams games with a bunch of open space...and weak flippers. But man I played it a lot. Funny, I always remember it being so boring, but I’d probably buy one if I found one locally. Good memories.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

Check the M/B on the Ball Index relay, and if not that, 3C on the score motor.

OK, thanks. I'll check those two things. Thanks again!

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

What are the Bonus relay and Double Bonus relay doing when this happens?

I actually can't see the bonus relay. There's too much in the way when I look through the coin door. The double bonus relay is not activated on the first two balls, and activated on the last ball. It seems to be doing what it's supposed to do.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from fredsmythson:

Also, check the switch on the double bonus relay with the yellow wire and red/green wire. This should be a normally open (NO) switch during the start of the game. If it's out of adjustment and in the closed position, it will cause the double bonus relay coil to be constantly energize... You can block off that switch with a piece of paper or tape, and if you're still getting power to the relay, then power is coming from another source. Probably from a ball index relay switch and/or the ball count unit.
If there is an issue with the ball count unit rotation, then this could send power through the ball index relay. Make sure the ball count unit is operating properly by manually advancing it by pushing in on the ball advance solenoid plunger...

Thanks for the info. The double bonus relay looks fine. The (two) normally open switches are open, and the one normally closed switch is closed. When the relay is energized, the opposite is true I'm in the process of checking the ball index relay.
The ball count unit seems to be working fine. the M/B switch on that unit seems ok, the ball count goes up / down smoothly. Thanks again!

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Who cares? It’s Skylab.
Sorry, just kidding. Skylab was in the VFW in Barnesville MN, that I’d play as a kid when visiting my grandparents for the summer. It was by the door, so even though it was a bar, the owner would let me play it. 10 cents a play, 3 for a quarter. It was total love/hate. The ball mechnism up the middle was so tantalizing to hit, and so dangerous. And then....nothing else. Just one of those Williams games with a bunch of open space...and weak flippers. But man I played it a lot. Funny, I always remember it being so boring, but I’d probably buy one if I found one locally. Good memories.

Initially, I thought Skylab was pretty hokey. It's not a fantastic game, but it's not terrible either. If you can make the captive ball "horseshoe" a regular part of play, it gets more interesting - by way of extra balls, and 1000 points per loop

3 weeks later
#10 6 years ago

Once again, I appreciate all of the advice / suggestions.
There WAS an issue with score motor switches, but it was not 3C. It was the make / break switches at 6B. The make / break "condition" at game over (ball zero) was opposite what the schematic showed. I adjusted those switches, and that resolved the continual double bonus problem.
With that resolved, I noticed that I had the same problem as another Pinsider. Specifically, the game awarded the correct end of ball bonus for even numbered bonus values (and for all double bonus values). But, for all odd numbered bonus values, the game would award an extra 1,000 points. As indicated in another post, I adjusted the "end of stroke" switches on the advance unit (so they open sooner / more quickly), and that resolved the remaining issue. Looks like the game is fine now.

I've marked this thread as complete.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from 350zguy:

The make / break "condition" at game over (ball zero) was opposite what the schematic showed.

I'm shocked.

I have a concurrent tech thread here regarding schematics not being correct: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sky-line-fuse-labels-dont-match-schematics

I mean, come on people.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
La Fayette, IL

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/skylab-double-bonus-on-every-ball?hl=currieddog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.