(Topic ID: 156600)

SkyJump wedge head did play till this happened!

By SkyJump74

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by pinhead52
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20160319_145352_resized_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
Screen_Shot_2016-04-04_at_9.56.28_AM_(resized).png
#1 8 years ago

First ai want to say I'm a totally newbie to this pinball forum. My dad bought this machine 25 yrs ago at an auction and it was fully playable. I played it last in 1995. I believe that was the last time it was ever played. It has been in the living (game room) of my fathers house since 1993. I now have the machine at my place. So the machine was loaded up in N.C. Only wrapped in cardboard and moved to Indiana. I then loaded onmy enclosed trailer and drove another 2 hrs with it.
Ok with that being said I openned all the doors when I removed the cardboard wrap. All the wiring looked ok to me. There is some "white corrosion". So I plugged it in!!! Lights and sounds and a ball ready to go!!! I was like a kid in the candy shop with no parents!! So ready to play. So I did. The machine wasn't leveled up I just want to see if it played. The ball played great and on ball 3 (I think) I hit the tilt do to the ball hanging up (remember it wasn't leveled up). I reset the machine and now it lights up and makes this reset clicking noise. Two big dials under the playing feild spin non stop and the relay labeled "F" in upper head (which has to potentiometers ) spin and click over and over till I shut it off. No ball enters to play and no flappers work. I took a short video and I will try to post it.
Thanks for anyone who reads and or can help outan any way.

I can't upload the video. If someone can tell me how to or wants it via an email let me know.

#2 8 years ago

Most likely the score reel contacts are dirty. When the reels get to zero a contact closes to tell the machine its ready for play and it pulls in the db reset complete relay on the control bank. Most likely those contacts (1 set on each reel) are dirty, needs a cleaning. I can get you a pic if needed.

#3 8 years ago

what pinhead52 said.

I'd manually actuate each non-zero score reel's plunger by hand to advance them back to 0. Then try starting a game.

Also, I'd start reading this:
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index.htm

#4 8 years ago

Also, here is the startup sequence for Sky Jump:

Screen_Shot_2016-04-04_at_9.56.28_AM_(resized).pngScreen_Shot_2016-04-04_at_9.56.28_AM_(resized).png

#5 8 years ago

Great info!! I hope to try this later today. Thanks to all. I keep you posted.

#6 8 years ago

Ok so the numbers had gone back to 0 on their own when this all started. But I can roll each a bit and the points open up. I cleaned the points a bit with an emrey board. Still no change. The ball counter was way past the 12 on the dial. I was able to roll it back to 4 but still no change. Reading the "operation Instructions" is like foreign language to me. I'm not sure where Relay A, motor 2 B..... Are located. I have never worked on a pinball machine in my life. I'm very mechanical so with a few points in the right direction I think I can get there.
Thanks again and don't give up on me. Lol.

#7 8 years ago

Anybody who calls them "flappers" is gonna be in way over his head on this one. You really need to find someone local who is into electromechanical games.

Fortunately it's a one-player so pretty simple but a total newbie is in really bad shape when it comes to EM games.

It could be any number of different issues - switches, relays, switches in the score motor, or the scoring reels.

#8 8 years ago

from Pinrepair.com:
Before Beginning: Introduction to Pinball Repair
Before attempting any pinball repair, there are some basic questions that should be asked. Simple things like, "how is the playfield glass removed?" or "how is the backglass removed?" (if you're asking these questions, even this basic document is probably beyond your skill set, and I recommend hiring a professional to fix your games).
But a very simple thing that is often asked is, "what equipment is needed to fix a pinball?" This document covers the electronic equipment needed, and how to use it. And the other repair guides cover the basic non-electronic tools needed for each system of games. But for completeness (since we mention all the electronic equipment needed below), here are some basic non-electronic tools need for pinball repair.

Screwdrivers: two phillips (#1 and #2), two flat head (one small, one medium).
Nut drivers: full SAE set (english units).
Wrenches: full SAE set.
Allen wrenches: full SAE set.
A good shop light.
Flexstone (EM games only) for cleaning switch contacts.
Contact adjust tool (EM games only) for adjusting switch contacts.
Beyond the basic tools, a level of "common sense" is also needed when fixing games. Remember the people that designed these games were probably much smarter than you and I, so we need to trust their design (unless I tell you otherwise, ha!) If they have a connector on a board, and it is burnt, it's best to replace it (and not solder wires directly to the board, circumventing the connector, and making the game "unservicable" in the future!)

As my buddy Kirb says, "Now let's start with some basics. Do you know what an amp or volt is? Do you know that electricity can kill you? Are you scared to look under the playfield of your game when it is turned on? Think about all of this before trying to save $100 and fixing a game yourself. For those of us dumb enough (like me) to waste time working games, we should all first learn how to do so." Hopefully this document (and some common sense) should save a new pinball learner some trouble.
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index.htm
(read all this section!)

#9 8 years ago

Total agreement CrazyLevi. Not sure how to find someone I trust to not make it worse. Maybe some one here is local to Central Indiana. I'll have to open a post up to that. I did find the ball counter and it reset. I guess I'm not sure that the number dial in the lower right on the score board is for. It isn't labeled on the backboard or inside. The ball counter was found on the lower right side when looking in the back of the machine.

Here are a few picture of my machine. Maybe some can help me out with photos? Or even a phone call or email videos. I'm game (no pund intended ) for any way to make this happen. I at least played one game on it 2 days ago!!

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

#10 8 years ago

I think I've seen this game around here somewhere before...

#11 8 years ago

Stashboy. Thanks for the article. I will spend sometime reading it. I do know the difference from an amp and a volt. Also my job is a machine repairman journeyman trade for a large automotive company. So I work on the machines in an automotive factory. I also have master electronic electricians I speak with daily. I just don't know how a pinball machine works, but I plan to learn. Thanks.
Also I'm not real good with this forum stuff. So sorry if Im not "tagging" someone or thing correctly.

#12 8 years ago

Well the Sky Jump seems talked about much but this actual one would be a nope! In the family and storge for over 25 years. I really want it passed down to my 10 year old video game loving son in 20 years.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I think I've seen this game around here somewhere before...

Exactly! Thought the same thing this morning. From the previous days, Topic: "Help diagnose a friends Wedge head."
Least now we can now go direct to the owner.

#14 8 years ago

This is the relay "F" with is just constantly turning when I power the machine up. I feel like this might be the issue but I'm not sure which out put line I should check.

#15 8 years ago

CrazyLevi you might be right a friend of mine from out of town lead me to this site. I bet it was him reaching out for me. I'm going to try and find that post. Or can you link them together if there is discussion on there?

#16 8 years ago

Just like I told your buddy that F relay probably has Zero to with your issue.

It's spinning isn't a cause, it's just a symptom, like the constantly turning score motor.

Focus on the ball count unit. Focus on the score reels. If there is a reset bank or latch trips in the bottom of the cabinet, I'd look there too.

#17 8 years ago

Ha yeah I was going to send you a link tonight, SkyJump74, but you beat me to it. Now you know the secret source of all my pin knowledge! These folks are definitely the ones to ask. Sharp eyed people have already spotted this thread https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-diagnose-a-friends-wedgehead#post-3075700 was the one I started to put some feelers out for you. But I think at this point you already know more about EM machines than I do! (My sole and current pin project so far is doing a full art/sound overhaul of a 1979 Willliams Flash solid state pinball using the videogame series Mega Man as a theme).

#18 8 years ago

Reset bank under the cabinet???? There is a power button under there. The reset button I think is one in the middle of the coin door. Not sure. Read my last post on my friends thread. I need to stick to one thread but not sure which one. I tried a few things that maybe I shouldn't. Let me know your thoughts

#19 8 years ago

Hi
I do not own a modern Gottlieb SINGLE player game. I looked up in the schema of my Far Out, to distract / confuse people who try to figure out "what will the "Number Match be in the next game"
(trying to count how many times I made 10 points -> conclude / deduce "next No-Match": My Far Out does step the F-Ministepper forward when the pin steps forward (towards Zero-Position) the Score-Reels of Player-1. And when all the Score-Reels are stepped to Position-Zero the pulsing for "stepping forward" stops - for the score-Reels AND the F-Ministepper.

I say the same as "CrazyLevi": The stepping (endlessly) of F-Ministepper is a SYMPTOM - the pin does not realize (does not get the information) Score-Reels ARE at Zero-Position.
So -> Post-4 -> the Startup-procedure -> "A-Relay-Reset-Coil should fire". Maybe a wire to that coil has broken-off (coil cannot fire) ?
Want to try: At the time You would like the pin to stop stepping -> manually actuate the A-Relay-Reset-Coil ?
Want to try: Take out ALL Score-Reels and have a close look at ALL reels / ALL Zero-Position-Switches -> do ALL Reels / Switches act 100% identical ? Greetings Rolf

#20 8 years ago

rolf_martin_062. wow I will need the baby version of what you said. I understand the general idea of what you are thinking but the post-4>.........broken wire. Where might this be located?
I took all the reels out and points / contacts on all look the same as far as I can tell.

I'll keep nosing around.

#21 8 years ago

Ok so if I flip a few levers on the ball count reel. It spun back to #1 then some how it reset and I got a ball in the play feild. But I shut the coin door and it turned off the play feild so I had to hit the reset button ( one on the coin door). Then I'm right back where I started. So it is a sequence thing. But I'm not smart enough yet to under stand what position everything needs to be in. Well I've learned a lot today do to everyone on here. Thanks and I'll keep plugging away. Don't stop with the ideas or advice.

#22 8 years ago

There are two people in Kokomo with EM pins. Maybe send them a message and they can help locally?

#23 8 years ago

Ok so I Pmed the locals and we will see what happens. I watched a lot of YouTube EM repair vids today. I'm thinking something is wrong in the "free" game counter. So I hope to pull that out in a few days and dive into it.

#24 8 years ago

Like Stashyboy suggested, read thru the pinrepair site and also what helped me a lot when I started was the "This old Pinball" or TOPS dvd's. Especially the EM ones. I believe they are listed on the pinrepair site also.

#25 8 years ago

F-I-E-L-D.

I don't know why "feild" drives me crazy, but it does. I before E, except after C...

#26 8 years ago

If the match relay continues to spin I would just say it's a stuck switch on the playfield somewhere, especially if it was working before. Why is this fact being ignored? Am I wrong?

Also sounds like your ball count unit is gummed up which could also cause this if it doesn't detect it reset. I file down the contacts with high-number grit sandpaper and wipe off, adjust the springs, and you're supposed to add Teflon Lube Gel on the contacts too, but I don't do this. (and probably should)

I'm a big believer of "don't fix what isn't broken" especially given your lack of EM repair knowledge so much better to diagnose first than go through and rebuild the whole game. It was working fine(?) before this happened, so it's obviously not too bad.

#27 8 years ago

Update:
Great news. We had an hour of fun playing the machine last night! My 10 yr old son went to bed with the high score trophy!
So I spoke with a couple locals from the forum and I was able to find the issue on the reset. It seems to be in the "free ball" counter roll. Not sure if that is the right term. But I was able to reset it by hand and exercise it to the point the game resets and plays. The "free ball counter" doesn't seem to work but I'll deal with that later.

But today after school my boy is dying to play. So we did. We played 3 games each and then like a switch all power goes out! So I'm taking a break to write this and to read how to remove the glass (well the front trim piece) then I can go after fuses. Hope it's and easy fix. Thanks to all. I'll keep you informed as things change!

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from SkyJump74:

Update:
Great news. We had an hour of fun playing the machine last night! My 10 yr old son went to bed with the high score trophy!
So I spoke with a couple locals from the forum and I was able to find the issue on the reset. It seems to be in the "free ball" counter roll. Not sure if that is the right term. But I was able to reset it by hand and exercise it to the point the game resets and plays. The "free ball counter" doesn't seem to work but I'll deal with that later.
But today after school my boy is dying to play. So we did. We played 3 games each and then like a switch all power goes out! So I'm taking a break to write this and to read how to remove the glass (well the front trim piece) then I can go after fuses. Hope it's and easy fix. Thanks to all. I'll keep you informed as things change!

You mean the credit counter? the wheel in the head that goes from 0 to 15 (8 if the post is in an alternate place). Yes these are usually gummed up and need to be cleaned/worked so all the leavers move freely

#29 8 years ago

Ok so the Slo Blow 5 amp main fuse popped not sure why but I replaced it and we have had hours of fun today!!'

Now Pinhead52 has taught me the term I'm looking for is the credit counter wheel. Great thanks so now I can study why it is there and how it should work. We had one game tonight that it advanced 1 count. ????? It never resets when a game is over. So I'll study up on the reason for advancement.
I also need to research the flippers. It seems that some times (mainly the left) doesn't have much "power" and it will buzz a little. So I'm sure I need to do some type of connection cleaning.
Wow, I have lots of homework to do.

High score award is still in the 10 yr olds hands. Lol with a new all time high of 39,210! Man this kid is good

#30 8 years ago

Its the credit counter.... if you coin up it adds credits, if you win games due to points or specials, it adds. Start a game and it subtracts... If at zero, game wont start unless contacts are hacked...

#31 8 years ago

As we have been playing some scores have made the credit wheel advance. Pinhead52 you are correct it will not reset on 0. We started at 1 and now we are at 14. Fyi the coin slots are not complete so they do not work.

#32 8 years ago

I can show you how to jumper the credit wheel (aligator jumper) to have the game set for free play. ie 2 sets of contacts open when the post on the wheel comes around to zero, the set of contacts that have the pvc coated wiring you jumper (keep closed even at zero) will allow the game to start with the credit button

Here's my Sky Jump, needs a little work (this is the third one Ive owned)

20160319_145352_resized_(resized).jpg20160319_145352_resized_(resized).jpg

#33 8 years ago

Hey

Quoted from pinhead52:I can show you how to jumper the credit wheel (aligator jumper) to have the game set for free play. ie 2 sets of contacts open when the post on the wheel comes around to zero, the set of contacts that have the pvc coated wiring you jumper (keep closed even at zero) will allow the game to start with the credit button
Here's my Sky Jump, needs a little work (this is the third one Ive owned)

20160319_145352_resized_(resized).jpg

If you are coming to pinfest I can give you a far better cabinet for that sky jump!
You need it.......

#34 8 years ago

Where and when is this Pinfest

#35 8 years ago

Its in your back yard, Allentown PA, May 6th and 7th.... the all weekend long flea market makes it worth the trip, a chance to stand around and berate the folks that think they can get top dollar for a pile of crap!

Is so much fun Im driving from Texas (empty) just to fill up and drag it home.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/skyjump-wedge-head-did-play-till-this-happened and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.