(Topic ID: 25591)

Skypilots Rotisserie Plans (storable option)

By Skypilot

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 116 posts
  • 45 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by Mbecker
  • Topic is favorited by 174 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 54 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

D11BD2EB-3C4A-45A2-8A50-503C88DFA9B6 (resized).jpeg
    A9D494AE-275D-454D-95C3-F55850D75E0F (resized).jpeg
    132186 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20180901_174220.jpg
    B0B65AD9-555A-429A-BDE4-5D5F03E3F66E (resized).jpeg
    6F13BEF1-90A8-4DA0-B6EE-3C416008852B (resized).jpeg
    2E323BEB-60F4-4A6D-BCA5-41928D0D2144 (resized).jpeg
    04306E85-784C-4C09-B12F-21612E4C7CAE (resized).jpeg
    45C4B706-F72B-47D0-9D49-2288D6D7AF68 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20180517_205521 (resized).jpg
    31EF0087-7DBF-4CF1-8FBE-93C90DEBBF5B (resized).jpeg
    02001D91-6892-43CA-9387-7589C01CCB30 (resized).jpeg
    20171229_151208 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3664 (resized).jpg
    General Pinball 035 (resized).jpg
    General Pinball 036 (resized).jpg

There are 116 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 3 years ago

If anyone has more build pics or any tips please post them. I may tackle this this weekend.

#52 3 years ago
    Quoted from Shredso:

If anyone has more build pics or any tips please post them. I may tackle this this weekend.

PM or post any issues. I'm more than happy to help

#53 3 years ago

I'm putting my list together. I'll post some build pics as I make progress. Can't get a full sheet of ply into my Traverse so hopefully I can borrow a truck tomorrow. How do you feel about using pocket holes? I recently bought the jig and I've only used it a couple times.

#54 3 years ago

Love it, Have one myself. I strongly suggest a good wood glue when you assemble it.

untitled_(resized).png

1 week later
    #55 3 years ago

I'm almost done. The pocket holes worked out ok. I ended up adding some additional screws. If I planned better I could have done all pocket holes. It's only the 2nd time using the jig and I was a little sloppy. My cuts aren't as precise as I would like. It's my first time working with hardwood plywood. It chips very easily. I upgraded the blade in my circular saw, I think that helped a bit. I made some rookie mistakes with the roundover on the router but I like the soft edges. I still need to add the pivot nut, dowel lock and aluminum angle. Tonight I'm going to see how it takes stain. In hindsight I wish I marked some measurements before I cut the angles and rounded the edges.

Overall a fantastic set of plans. I spent a lot of time trying to make sure the important parts were square, the rotisserie turns very smooth, much more so than my old black iron one. I just donated $25 to the Greater Boston Food Bank. I'll post some pics after the stain.

2016-04-07_21.14.26_(resized).jpg

#56 3 years ago
    Quoted from Shredso:

I just donated $25 to the Greater Boston Food Bank.

Fantastic

#57 3 years ago

First coat of stain applied. I hope I can get away with 2 coats, that took a lot longer than I anticipated.

2016-04-07_22.44.10_(resized).jpg

#58 3 years ago

I'm pretty much done. I'm thinking about adding a french cleat system around the perimeter and making movable shelves for screwdrivers/nut drivers, soldering station etc. The playfield is sitting a little high on the aluminum angle. I'll have to recess it. I can see how the dowel lock could wear out fairly quickly. How is the acrylic holding up?

2016-04-10_16.58.14_(resized).jpg
    2016-04-10_16.58.24_(resized).jpg
    2016-04-10_16.59.16_(resized).jpg

#59 3 years ago

The acrylic was a great fix. the table locks nice and tight. Your rotisserie looks great!

4 months later
    #60 3 years ago

This thing is the shizznit. $50 to the local food bank. Best. Rotisserie. Ever.

IMG_8246 (resized).JPG

IMG_8247 (resized).JPG

#61 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

This thing is the shizznit. $50 to the local food bank. Best. Rotisserie. Ever.

That looks great!

#62 3 years ago

I have finally assembled all of the scrap steel I need to make a rotisserie. I don't have a welder but do have a complete wood shop.

hum, I might be rethinking my plan.....

Great design!

4 months later
    #63 2 years ago

Looks like a fantastic product.

Anybody who's built one remember how long it took to put it together?

#64 2 years ago

Once I finalized my version in size and design, took two days from raw wood to finished product. I have all the tools and a good amount of experience... your results may vary.

#65 2 years ago
    Quoted from chadderack:

I'm building right now.. super easy to follow. It's pretty quick with circular saw, also used table saw. Maybe an hour to an hour half to mark and make all the cuts, bit of sanding time. Another couple hours to glue & screw everything so far. I'm almost done minus the angle iron cut, finishing bolting the Susan's.

IMG_1965 (resized).JPG

#66 2 years ago

Finished! Thank you skypilot!!! I am liking this design!! Few things I noticed (for others):

I used 1" bolts to fasten the Susan, left just a bit fast the nuts once tightened up, worked well.

My angle iron is wimpy, going to find the solid alum and replace it. Also found that I lacked a good way to cut the metal, and went with sawing two channels on the sides to accommodate the angles. (Well 4 technically as I mis-measured.)

Finally I used an old flipper bat to lock the table. Should be able to throw a bushing on the other side, but I need a new bat as this old Bally one is chewed to shit.

IMG_1966 (resized).JPG

IMG_1968 (resized).JPG

IMG_1967 (resized).JPG

IMG_1974 (resized).JPG

#67 2 years ago
    Quoted from chadderack:

The basic construction of this is very simple. You could have a a working rotisserie easily in half a day. I took some extra time making sure measurements were close to exact, using a router to round over corners, staining it, etc. Mine is in a living space. Maybe took me 6 hours?

#68 2 years ago

Builds rotisserie and his initials are KFC?

LOL, finger licker.

#69 2 years ago
    Quoted from Shredso:

The basic construction of this is very simple. You could have a a working rotisserie easily in half a day. I took some extra time making sure measurements were close to exact, using a router to round over corners, staining it, etc. Mine is in a living space. Maybe took me 6 hours?

The reason I asked the original question is of course, you measure how much stuff costs sometimes by your work rate. If this thing takes half a day to do, what is that in work dollars? It's coming out pricey that way for me, but on the up side it looks like the best model there is. I did buy a pre-made one from a pinball supplier a few weeks ago... we'll see how it goes and if the money saved will have been worth it.

If the one I bought turns out to be a P.O.S., I'll definitely build a pimped out Sky Pilot model.

#70 2 years ago
    Quoted from chadderack:

The reason I asked the original question is of course, you measure how much stuff costs sometimes by your work rate. If this thing takes half a day to do, what is that in work dollars? It's coming out pricey that way for me, but on the up side it looks like the best model there is. I did buy a pre-made one from a pinball supplier a few weeks ago... we'll see how it goes and if the money saved will have been worth it.
    If the one I bought turns out to be a P.O.S., I'll definitely build a pimped out Sky Pilot model.

I guess that makes sense if you otherwise would have been working during that time.. it's a different rate for me since I would otherwise be doing some other project. Free time is awesome but I value it less than a work hour I think.. especially since doing these things yourself is pretty rewarding

#71 2 years ago

Made this last year. Plan on T-molding and paint this summer.

IMG_1960 (resized).JPG

IMG_1961 (resized).JPG

#72 2 years ago

trekie I'm seeing some things I like there, very sharp! That second shelf is awesome, and I love the ice cube trays for parts sorting.. may have to get some more.. and here I thought they were only good for my manhatten ice cubes ha!

#73 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

trekie I'm seeing some things I like there, very sharp! That second shelf is awesome, and I love the ice cube trays for parts sorting.. may have to get some more.. and here I thought they were only good for my manhatten ice cubes ha!

Yeh, that second shelf and the ice cube trays are the bomb!

#74 2 years ago
    Quoted from Trekie:

Made this last year. Plan on T-molding and paint this summer.

I was trying to figure out a way to get some storage on the sides, wood wasn't beefy enough for anything I liked. Magnet strips are brilliant. Can you rotate it with the shelf in place or do you have to move everything off of it?

#75 2 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/show-and-tell-your-diy-homemade-tools/page/4#post-2936793

Thought this should be added to this thread.. I'm liking the addition skypilot - going to have to try something similar

#76 2 years ago
    Quoted from Shredso:

I was trying to figure out a way to get some storage on the sides, wood wasn't beefy enough for anything I liked. Magnet strips are brilliant. Can you rotate it with the shelf in place or do you have to move everything off of it?

I made a bunch of accessories for tool storage that mount along the sides. They're really helpful, and swap out as needed. Unfortunately, the tools will fall out if forget and flip it upside down first. Amazing how many times I still forget and do that, lol. I was thinking of adding a velcro strip or some elastic pockets for some tools instead of a magnet, but the same idea.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-pinball-rotisserie-is-finished#post-1233251 post #39

#77 2 years ago
    Quoted from Shredso:

Yes I rotate the pf with out tools coming off. The mag strips come from HB. Pretty strong.

#78 2 years ago

I would like to thank Sky Pilot again for sharing his brilliant design with us.

Donation made to the local food bank.

#79 2 years ago
    Quoted from Trekie:

I would like to thank Sky Pilot again for sharing his brilliant design with us.
    Donation made to the local food bank.

You are welcome.

In the coming weeks I will be building a more storable unit. I will do my best to document it .

2 months later
    #80 2 years ago

Finally got my units finished.

I made two, so I can easily do playfield swap overs. I built them a while back, but hadn't assembled them.

Last weekend I finished them off.

I made them out of scrap MDF board, and while they a look a bit ropey they do the job admirably.

Cheers for the plans! Donations have been made!

rd

IMG_5708 (resized).JPG

#81 2 years ago

Awesome. Someday....

1 week later
    #82 2 years ago

I was asked to make one of these for a friend. I added the blocking so the sides could be removed and the unit could be stored. General Pinball 040 (resized).jpgGeneral Pinball 039 (resized).jpgGeneral Pinball 038 (resized).jpgGeneral Pinball 037 (resized).jpgGeneral Pinball 036 (resized).jpgGeneral Pinball 035 (resized).jpg

#83 2 years ago

Amazing work there.

#84 2 years ago

You should sell these! It's probably not worth the effort and work, but this looks like the rotisserie to have.

Marc

#85 2 years ago

Sweet woodwork skills.

Makes mine look like crap. Haha!

rd

#86 2 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Makes mine look like crap. Haha!
    rd

The first step is admitting it to yourself.

#87 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

The first step is admitting it to yourself.

Haha! I admit it every day.

I slapped my two together in 30 mins, made out of an old sheet of scrap board I had lying around on my building site.

Literally ... "hey! A sheet of wood! I'll make two rotisseries!" Saw saw saw screw screw screw! It took me longer to google search for the lazy Susan plates than to make them. Hey, I'm busy!

Very functional!

Very ugly!!

My motto - function over fashion.

As long as the playfields turn out nice, they'll do the trick for now.

Now I've seen the dismantable version, I'm gonna make those next! I'll even buy some nice wood!

rd

#88 2 years ago
    Quoted from Skypilot:

I was asked to make one of these for a friend. I added the blocking so the sides could be removed and the unit could be stored.

I really like the break down for storage option, I think I will be modifying mine.

#89 2 years ago

I do, too! Hey, Skypilot...can you redo the plans to include the storage option, since you sit at a desk answering phones all day and have tons of time to do so? And please list all overpriced Festool products that you use to complete the job. I'm particularly interested in how you round all your edges so that you don't get any splinters in your girlish hands.

Thanks in advance.

#90 2 years ago
    Quoted from Skypilot:

I added the blocking so the sides could be removed and the unit could be stored.

Brilliant. Modification to be forthcoming!

Shawn

#91 2 years ago

Love the mod -- won't need it for a few years at least but will do it when it's ready for storage

#92 2 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

since you sit at a desk answering phones all day

I don't answer phones all day . I have people to do that for me. I tend to nap.

Quoted from beelzeboob:

list all overpriced Festool products that you use to complete the job.

No Festools were used or harmed in the production and filming of this project.

Quoted from beelzeboob:

I'm particularly interested in how you round all your edges so that you don't get any splinters in your girlish hands.

I routed all edges with a 1/4" round over bit. I also wore gloves!

#93 2 years ago

Sky, do you perhaps have a modified plan set for this? My only hesitation to building one has been no where to put when not in use. But THIS would slide right under my workbench!

#94 2 years ago
    Quoted from wxforecaster:

Sky, do you perhaps have a modified plan set for this? My only hesitation to building one has been no where to put when not in use. But THIS would slide right under my workbench!

I will put one together and post it

2 weeks later
    #95 2 years ago

One Modification I need to share.IMG_3664 (resized).jpg I flipped the angle iron. This locks the playfield in. It cannot move forward and come out of the pivot bolts.

#96 2 years ago

Good idea on flipping the angle iron around.

4 months later
    #97 1 year ago

Hey Skypilot, great design! I'm working on planning mods to the design to support both standard and wide body pfs. It seems like the octagonal and hexagonal shapes on either side are more for esthetics than functionality, right? It doesn't seem like cutting them from rectangles is needed to avoid any sort of contact during rotation, but I wanted to double check with the expert.

#98 1 year ago
    Quoted from etlandfill:

It seems like the octagonal and hexagonal shapes on either side are more for esthetics than functionality,

You need the wider center to accommodate the lazy susan rollers. The ends are thinned down for a slimmer side .It would be bulky and cumbersome if left at the full 8 inches.

#99 1 year ago
    Quoted from Skypilot:

You need the wider center to accommodate the lazy susan rollers. The ends are thinned down for a slimmer side .It would be bulky and cumbersome if left at the full 8 inches.

Great, so the exact dimensions of that slimmed down area don't really matter as long as the lazy Susan fits. Thanks!

#100 1 year ago
    Quoted from etlandfill:

Great, so the exact dimensions of that slimmed down area don't really matter as long as the lazy Susan fits. Thanks!

Correct

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 12,500.00
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 39.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    £ 55.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 109.99
    $ 269.00
    Displays
    Boston Pinball Company
    $ 64.00
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 248.85
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 249.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 142.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 15.00
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 1,400.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 40.00
    Lighting - Other
    Funhouse Custom Lamp Out of stock
    Professor Pinball
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    There are 116 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside