2225ECA1-9F07-49E7-BB7D-406AA72EC054 (resized).jpeg
4995A1E7-F44C-41D6-A7F2-F8233482EE64 (resized).jpeg
B6E877CA-02E2-41B3-B16B-19315571E757 (resized).jpeg
#1 6 years ago

On Sky·Line there are three ways to earn a replay:

1. Achieving various scores
2. Advancing to certain "floors"
3. Lighting #s 1-12 during game play

Recently, my game stopped awarding replays for the third situation. The "Special When Lit" lights properly when all twelve floors have been completed but no replay will be awarded.

A few weeks ago I changed the scoring and floor replay levels to make the game more challenging and was able to do so easily - there are a series of pins behind the backglass and a handy instruction card. Simple.

Unfortunately, after making these changes the 1-12 replay award stopped working. I've looked over the schematic and don't see that this issue could have been caused by changing the replay values...but I'm sort of a novice with all of this.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks in advance!!

B6E877CA-02E2-41B3-B16B-19315571E757 (resized).jpegB6E877CA-02E2-41B3-B16B-19315571E757 (resized).jpeg

4995A1E7-F44C-41D6-A7F2-F8233482EE64 (resized).jpeg4995A1E7-F44C-41D6-A7F2-F8233482EE64 (resized).jpeg

2225ECA1-9F07-49E7-BB7D-406AA72EC054 (resized).jpeg2225ECA1-9F07-49E7-BB7D-406AA72EC054 (resized).jpeg

AF58BB1A-A865-4678-8388-81F53E9C0443 (resized).jpegAF58BB1A-A865-4678-8388-81F53E9C0443 (resized).jpeg

#2 6 years ago

You forgot to mention matching the last number in your score to the number that appears on the backglass at the end of the game, if that feature is enabled!

#3 6 years ago

Your photos show the elevator level adjustment pins, but not the score level ones. You're saying that the machine doesn't award a replay when you complete the number sequence and the "special" light comes on?
I don't think the score level adjustment or the elevator floor adjustment would affect the playfield "special".
Can you be a little more specific as to what replay award doesn't work?
If the game isn't awarding replays for anything, be sure the credit wheel isn't maxed out. There's an upper limit at which point a switch on the replay unit will open and not allow any further replay awards. Check this switch anyway to make sure it closes and makes good contact when the credit reel is below the maximum setting. On many Gottliebs of this era, the maximum is usually set to 15 credits.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

You forgot to mention matching the last number in your score to the number that appears on the backglass at the end of the game, if that feature is enabled!

Yes. That is true. A match would also count!

#5 6 years ago

My skyline does not give a replay or light the special when lit when you max out the floors.

To get special when lit you need to turn off all the number lights.

You can change the plugs on the back of the elevator doors to get a free play from advancing floors, or put the plugs in to get one from certain points.

Once you roll over all the roll overs and shut the lights off and light special when lit lights, you get a replay when you roll over the lit up light.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Your photos show the elevator level adjustment pins, but not the score level ones. You're saying that the machine doesn't award a replay when you complete the number sequence and the "special" light comes on?
I don't think the score level adjustment or the elevator floor adjustment would affect the playfield "special".
Can you be a little more specific as to what replay award doesn't work?
If the game isn't awarding replays for anything, be sure the credit wheel isn't maxed out. There's an upper limit at which point a switch on the replay unit will open and not allow any further replay awards. Check this switch anyway to make sure it closes and makes good contact when the credit reel is below the maximum setting. On many Gottlieb's of this era, the maximum is usually set to 15 credits.

Replay works for both score and floor achievement...plus the "match" as you astutely mention in your last post.

It is only malfunctioning (or failing to function) when the special is lit for hitting all twelve numbers on the play field. But, the special DOES light - I just can't get the replay.

I really appreciate your help. Thanks for the quick response!!

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Briehl:

Once you roll over all the roll overs and shut the lights off and light special when lit, you get a replay when you roll over the lit up light.

That's the part that isn't working. The special lights but no replay is awarded.

The problem seemed to have started when I changed the floor plugs to different settings, but that may have just been a coincidence.

#8 6 years ago

When you roll over the lit up light after special when lit is lit, does the light change to the next number?

#9 6 years ago

I can't imagine why this would have started after changing the floor level replay pins. Check the 0-9 unit. Make sure all the contact shoes are making contact with the rivets on the disc, and there are no wires off of the contact shoes. It's this unit that alternates the number which awards the special when it's lit. Sometimes the little black wires come off. I imagine there's a relay that lights the "special" lamp and enables replays when the sequence is completed. Check it, and verify that all the switches on that relay are clean and making proper contact.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

I can't imagine why this would have started after changing the floor level replay pins. Check the 0-9 unit. Make sure all the contact shoes are making contact with the rivets on the disc, and there are no wires off of the contact shoes. It's this unit that alternates the number which awards the special when it's lit. Sometimes the little black wires come off. I imagine there's a relay that lights the "special" lamp and enables replays when the sequence is completed. Check it, and verify that all the switches on that relay are clean and making proper contact.

Ya my suggestion is to check and make sure that 0-9 unit is working properly. And this relay is located on the bottom of the playfield, furthest right.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from Briehl:

When you roll over the lit up light after special when lit is lit, does the light change to the next number?

It does.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from Briehl:

Ya my suggestion is to check and make sure that 0-9 unit is working properly. And this relay is located on the bottom of the playfield, furthest right.

I'll take a look at that!

#13 6 years ago

I guess I've never thought about it, bit why does the game cycle through different lights when the special is lit?

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from zh2oson:

I guess I've never thought about it, bit why does the game cycle through different lights when the special is lit?

It's a feature that's a bit unusual for a Gottlieb machine. Bally games tended to have a random or moving reward, but Gottlieb was more like, light the target, hit the target. Gottlieb did have quite a few alternating specials, but only a few others with a traveling special, notably "World Fair, and "Aquarius". On "Sky Line", the numbers change via the 0-9 unit, as I mentioned above.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

It's a feature that's a bit unusual for a Gottlieb machine. Bally games tended to have a random or moving reward, but Gottlieb was more like, light the target, hit the target. Gottlieb did have quite a few alternating specials, but only a few others with a traveling special, notably "World Fair, and "Aquarius". On "Sky Line", the numbers change via the 0-9 unit, as I mentioned above.

It is definitely a cool feature! When family obligations slow down, I'll check the wiring as suggested and see if that is the issue.

Thanks!

1 week later
#16 6 years ago

Connections all seem good. In testing, I notice that the game is now awarding two replays for score achievement as well as two replays for floor advancements.

However, lighting the special does not award a replay.

Thoughts?

#17 6 years ago

Staples will scan your schematic for $2 and Kinkos will do it for $7. Make it easy for us to help you!

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Staples will scan your schematic for $2 and Kinkos will do it for $7. Make it easy for us to help you!

$5.50 at Kinkos! Thanks for the suggestion.

Sky-Line Schematics.pdfSky-Line Schematics.pdf

#19 6 years ago

Hi zh2oson
here a snippet, JPG (squeezed) from Your schematics --- NONE does work - so I first would investigate "along my orang wiring".
We always can cheat a bit - simulating "a relay pulls-in" when Your pin is in play - try: MANUALLY activate the "F-Relay" and then let go on the F-Relay --- wear rubber gloves or use an wooden stich - "push onto the armature on thr relay - simulate "relay-coil pulls" - what happens ? Greetings Rolf

0Sky-Line-Work-01 (resized).jpg0Sky-Line-Work-01 (resized).jpg

#20 6 years ago

Check that NC 15th pos. sw. right before F. Might not be closed or is gooked up. Also make sure your 3-5 ball adj. is seated well.

1 week later
#21 6 years ago
Quoted from rolf_martin_062:

Hi zh2oson
here a snippet, JPG (squeezed) from Your schematics --- NONE does work - so I first would investigate "along my orang wiring".
We always can cheat a bit - simulating "a relay pulls-in" when Your pin is in play - try: MANUALLY activate the "F-Relay" and then let go on the F-Relay --- wear rubber gloves or use an wooden stich - "push onto the armature on thr relay - simulate "relay-coil pulls" - what happens ? Greetings Rolf

Good suggestion! Thanks for taking a look - i'm back in town and will tackle this over the weekend.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

Check that NC 15th pos. sw. right before F. Might not be closed or is gooked up. Also make sure your 3-5 ball adj. is seated well.

This place is awesome. Thank you for your suggestion. I'll update once I've poked around.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Swansea, IL

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sky-line-replay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.