• Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Capture1 (resized).PNG
Capture (resized).png
#1 4 years ago

I'm completing a playfield swap on a Gottlieb Sky Jump and have it pretty much complete but I have two nagging problems:
- when you push start, the reels reset to zero and the drop targets reset (good so far)
- the kickout coil doesn't have enough power to eject the ball into the shooter lane. The ball only goes about a third of the way up the rails then back into the outhole
- once the ball is in the shooter lane, the game doesn't recognize the ball is there. The ball rolls over the switch under the apron, but all of the switches and coils are dead, and the game doesn't switch over to ball 1

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

#2 4 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

the kickout coil doesn't have enough power to eject the ball into the shooter lane. The ball only goes about a third of the way up the rails then back into the outhole

That's probably a mechanical or adjustment issue, assuming the kicker mechanism is good and clean and has the correct spring on it. Is the ball kicked more up or more over through the trough? It may be that the ball is resting up on the switch leaf and not falling down enough to get a full kick from the kicker. I think there are other topics here with photos on how to adjust the outhole kicker.

Quoted from Hammerhead:

once the ball is in the shooter lane, the game doesn't recognize the ball is there. The ball rolls over the switch under the apron, but all of the switches and coils are dead, and the game doesn't switch over to ball 1

When the Trough Switch under the apron closes the Ball Count unit in the backbox should take a step to ball 1. Only then will the scoring part of the game get power. There should be a ohm or less of resistance (with the power off) between the blue-orange wire on the Trough switch and the blue-orange wire on the solder lug of the Ball Count Step Up solenoid.

/Mark

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

- the kickout coil doesn't have enough power to eject the ball into the shooter lane. The ball only goes about a third of the way up the rails then back into the outhole

Well, I think this is the first time I've seen this: separate Ball Return relay (O) and Ball Return coil on the schematic. Any rate, I would check everything involved here, esp. the score motor sw.
Capture (resized).pngCapture (resized).pngCapture1 (resized).PNGCapture1 (resized).PNG

#4 4 years ago

I started glazing over looking at those schematics. I can read schematics fairly well, but I have absolutely no idea what you're trying to show me.
- what do the letters mean over switches, relays coils, etc?
- where is the score motor switch? In the bottom of the cabinet? In the backbox near the score reels?
- what am I supposed to "check"?

Aside from looking at every single switch to see if the operate correctly, I have absolutely no idea how to tackle EMs

#5 4 years ago

The letter above a switch indicate which relay it is from. The motor is the round thing in the bottom of the cabinet.

Walking through the Ball Return coil on the schematic: From the coil, a Black/red wire goes to a normally open set of contacts on the "O" relay, and from there it uses a Slate/Red wire to go to a switch on the motor, in this case, 4C. I'm not sure of the color of wire from switch 4C to the common rail.

What you are supposed to check is to see if the switch is opening and closing when it should. That can be by physically looking (Not a good test) or by testing it with a meter. Another way is to use a set of jumpers to go around a switch to see if it is bad. For example, if you put a set of jumpers around the set of contacts on the O relay mentioned above, when the motor turns and switch 4C closes, the Ball Return coil should fire. If it does not, then you likely have a problem with switch 4C on the motor or a broken wire. If it does fire, and you then remove the jumpers from the O relay, and try it again, and if the Ball Return coil does not fire, then you just verified your issue is with the set of contacts on the O relay.

Hope this helps.

1 week later
#6 4 years ago

Billc479 - My sky jump has an issue with either the reset control relay or the ball return relay. Sometimes the score reels wont reset to zero but the game starts normally. Sometimes it resets the scores but the ball wont kick out and the score motor keeps running. Could you possibly post a peek of your schematic with the reset control related relays please.

#7 4 years ago

I have not looked at my schematic, but the symptoms you describe indicate issues with the score reel switches. Make sure they are working properly, I recommend checking them with a meter to make sure they really are opening and closing.

I'll look later to see if the relays you mention could cause the issue.

#8 4 years ago

Check the runout switches on the score reels, and check all the switches on the “A” reset relay.

Also check the switches on motor at 1C

#9 4 years ago

Will do. Thanks.

#10 4 years ago

All the score reel switches are fine. Checked them with a buzzer. The reset control relay has two coils. The smaller of the two causes the scores to reset when I tickle it manually. As soon as the scores reset the other coil energizes and the game starts normally. Now I'm looking for the switch that energizes the small one. Buzzed the start relay too and found nothing strange. \

#11 4 years ago

I am on holiday and won’t be able to look at the schematics until April 5. Maybe someone else can chime in and help.

#12 4 years ago

No problem. Thanks for the advice anyway. I think I'm almost there. Enjoy you holiday.

#14 4 years ago

What was it? I have a similar problem on Sky Jump, haven't posted on here yet though.

#15 4 years ago

Really? Sorted! That's it?

2 months later
#16 3 years ago

Hey, mine is sorted also!! Wondering if it was temp related several months ago? Kinda gave up for a bit and looked at it over the weekend. Starts every time without fail. Played about 10 games in a row. I got motivated sitting in on that pinball class Friday evening.

4 months later
#17 3 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

Hey, mine is sorted also!! Wondering if it was temp related several months ago? Kinda gave up for a bit and looked at it over the weekend. Starts every time without fail. Played about 10 games in a row. I got motivated sitting in on that pinball class Friday evening.

LOL.

Turns out there was a little burr on the reset relay that would mechanically get the thing stuck. Sanded it smooth.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sky-jump-startup-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.