(Topic ID: 199356)

Sky Jump, more fun... bumpers this time.

By fotoboy

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Briehl
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

Hey again,
I have what I think is an easy problem, I have a side sticky bumper. So the two outside bumpers are joined together with circutry, and there are two switches for each. For lack of proper terminology, I will just refer to them as the start and quit switch. Both switches need to be open for the bumpers to switch off. Problem is, one will not. Video, here if you want to see it... http://tinypic.com/r/am8k9j/9 Showing each side activating.

#2 2 years ago

Can you post up to youtube?

#3 2 years ago

Shared bumpers use a common "shared" pop bumper relay. And, as you stated, both Pop Bumper coils have to hit their "End of Stroke" (EOS) switches in order to let the Pop Bumper hold circuit drop out (de-energize the relay).

Even though they share the same relay, each coil usually has its own set of contacts on the relay to energize the pop bumper coils. More than likely, you have one of these switches dirty or misadjusted. You could also have an intermittent connection to the coil wires but this is more unlikely.

To find which switch is in question, you can short between the blades on each switch on the pop bumper relay and find the pair that energizes the pop bumper coil which isn't moving. Then clean and gap that switch and check solder connections to the lugs on the end of the blades.

#4 2 years ago

Well, I checked the relay, and located the switch that activates the sticky bumper, but the switch makes contacts fine it just doesnt release. Is there something that causes it to release? All wires seem solid (tug test).
thx

#5 2 years ago

Well again... I gave the sticky bumper assembly a good cleaning, which made it look better, and perform better (I'm sure), but did not stop the sticking issue.

I did, however quite by accident, discover that the bumpers function fine without the offending sticking switch. so,,, If I bypass the switch, with paper or whatever for testing, everything seems to work fine... as if the entire switch is redundant. Is this by design, (which makes me scratch my head, if it is) or a symptom of something else awry?

Hrmmmm.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

Can you post up to youtube?

done...

#7 2 years ago

Both EOS switches must open (each pop bumper) in order to let the relay drop out. If either of the pop bumper coils does not move or move enough to open it's switch, one or both of the coils will stay energized.

#8 2 years ago

I see.
So, more testing and I discover.. when the pop bumper is activated top side (like with the pinball) the 'sticky' pop bumper is not completely activating (only moving a twitch)and then sticking. But when I activate it with the relay (manually)--If I press lightly just until the relay goes, it will stick (the relay), but it will activate completely (and not stick) IF I press a little bit HARDER on the relay switch,

Thoughts?

#9 2 years ago

clean and gap the contact on the relay that drives the pop...

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from fotoboy:

I see.
So, more testing and I discover.. when the pop bumper is activated top side (like with the pinball) the 'sticky' pop bumper is not completely activating (only moving a twitch)and then sticking. But when I activate it with the relay (manually)--If I press lightly just until the relay goes, it will stick (the relay), but it will activate completely (and not stick) IF I press a little bit HARDER on the relay switch,
Thoughts?

Re-read post #3.

#11 2 years ago

They all appear to be gapped and cleaned... just double checked.

I can send photos or vids if that would help.
could it be the relay coil itself? How would I test that?

also, disregard this from my previous post >>>

Quoted from fotoboy:

but it will activate completely (and not stick) IF I press a little bit HARDER on the relay switch

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from fotoboy:

They all appear to be gapped and cleaned... just double checked.
I can send photos or vids if that would help.
could it be the relay coil itself? How would I test that?
also, disregard this from my previous post >>>

did you identify the contacts that drive the pops? A small screw driver works well. Or an alligator jumper. On a rare occasion you can have a pad get loose in a finger (sometimes you can see scorching on the finger around pad) and give you intermittent operation. You may have to replace the contact.

The jumper is a good way to test the coil..

#13 2 years ago

Yes, when I press the switches manually they work fine.
I just disassembled and cleaned the relay, and it is working. That is good news, but it makes me nervous because it wasnt very dirty. Are the tolerances for the switch gaps that tight? For that matter, what should that gap be? Right now they're at about 1mm. Well, Onward to the next issue, hope this one stays fixed.

#14 2 years ago

Gottlieb relays have a much narrower tollerance than Bally and Williams due to the smaller amount of movement.

The key principle when gapping relays is for the points to open far enough to not make contact with other outside influences like vibration. And for when it goes to close, the dynamic (moving) blade should meet and actually push against the static blade and actually cause it to move a little. This provides a self cleaning wiping action and also insure good contact.

#15 2 years ago

Wow, so I have heard about a business card thickness... that seems about right. (although some of my gaps are 2 or 3 cards thick)thx

#16 2 years ago

Did you check to make sure the spoon that the end of the pop bumper skirt rides in is clean? Also make sure that the end of the pop bumper (tit of the skirt) is centered in the cup and doesn’t ride outside the edge.

#17 2 years ago

will do

1 week later
#18 2 years ago

Ok, got bumpers cleaned dismantled, remantled, adjusted and ... drumroll please... working!
Thanks a bunch. I dont know which of those things was the culprit, most likely more than one of them.

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from fotoboy:

Ok, got bumpers cleaned dismantled, remantled, adjusted and ... drumroll please... working!
Thanks a bunch. I dont know which of those things was the culprit, most likely more than one of them.

Probably the eos switch

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Macomb, MI
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 55.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 107.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
$ 89.99
$ 74.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods
Boards
German-Pinball-Modular
$ 55.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos
$ 100.00
$ 13.00
$ 210.00
Playfields
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 219.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 230.00
Tools
PinDoc Restorations
$ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 1,000.00
Playfields
Pinball Playfields
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside