(Topic ID: 124377)

Gottlieb Sky Jump - Jacks Open - Golden Arrow - Best Gameplay/Ruleset?

By EM-PINMAN

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by EM-PINMAN
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Sky Jump - Jacks Open - Golden Arrow - Best Gameplay/Ruleset in Order”

• Sky Jump, Jacks Open, Golden Arrow 2 votes
    7%
  • Jacks Open, Sky Jump, Golden Arrow 12 votes
    44%
  • Golden Arrow, Jacks Open, Sky Jump 0 votes
  • Sky Jump, Golden Arrow, Jacks Open 1 vote
    4%
  • Jacks Open, Golden Arrow, Sky Jump 2 votes
    7%
  • Golden Arrow, Sky Jump, Jacks Open 2 votes
    7%
  • I have not played all 3 so I cannot say 6 votes
    22%
  • I have played all 3 but I cannot make up my mind which I like best 0 votes
  • I have no mind and wish to be left all alone in a corner with my empty thoughts 2 votes
    7%

(27 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

2012-08-30_14-25-14_991.jpg
Garage draft  -4-12-15.jpg
Garage draft  -4-12-15.jpg

#1 5 years ago

Sky Jump -Jacks Open - Golden Arrow - Which one has the Best Gameplay/Ruleset, and is all around fun? Never mind the Colors/Artwork as I like them all.

What do you think?

Also Please Rate what you would pick in order on the poll:

Thanks!

Ken

#2 5 years ago

Sky Jump would be my fav of the 3, followed by Jacks Open
Golden Arrow doesn't quite meet its potential, great artwork though.
Sky Jump has the right combo of drops vs. rollover lanes and spot targets.

#3 5 years ago

I've had all three (and still have Jacks Open and Golden Arrow). I find that Jacks Open is the most challenging (set up on conservative post settings). More open playfield, longer shots, but symmetrical layout. The buildup of getting the specific combos of drops, and making them count more via strategically getting only 3 of the 4 rollovers takes some concentration. And the duo open elbow return lanes will just mess with you.

Sky Jump feels a bit more crowded, but still plenty to shoot for with the asymmetrical layout. I've just had a hard time keeping this one in the collection due to the art package. I think if you really don't mind it, it's a fine player. The shots are a bit weighted towards the right flipper, but only a bit.

Golden Arrow really has to be on 5-ball to be more challenging, but set up well, it still can kick your butt. As for 'fun' though, Golden Arrow has the 5" gong bell that you get from targets with the golden arrow lit; it's quite fun to chase after targets with the arrow lit, moving around the playfield. It's not a hard game to score high on, but having the roving targets lit, along with the combo of gong bell and chimes, does make it fun.

I still voted Jacks/Sky/Golden, although I probably find myself playing Golden Arrow more "for fun" since it's not as hard as Jacks Open!

Sky Jump will be the easiest of the three to find.

#4 5 years ago

JO > SJ > GA

Luckily I don't have to choose.

#5 5 years ago

I don't know Golden Arrow, so I didn't vote. Sky Jump is a great game though. I picked mine up thinking I'd just flip it shortly for something else I wanted more, and it hasn't actually left yet.

#6 5 years ago

All three are very fun games, but I'd have to go JO, SJ, GA.

Both JO and SJ are great games but JO just seems to have a higher fun factor. Maybe it's the open inlanes mixing things up a bit.

Golden Arrow is a fun game but like Buccaneer, once you've got a fair number of the lights out it sort of runs out of gas.

#7 5 years ago

I have no mind and wish to be left all alone in a corner with my empty thoughts

#8 5 years ago

JO is 1st because of the sequence aspect that is right there in your face - Classic Gottlieb EM pinball - easy to understand but difficult to master.

SJ has the drop targets with the combination of getting the numbers out at the rollovers which lights the drop targets for 500 instead of 50 and then there is the wild card - the pop bumper that changes the lit drop target to make a lit drop target worth 5000. Again, easy to understand but difficult to master. There is some control to getting the rollover lanes unlit but there is an amount of randomness to the effort. That's why I put this game behind JO.

GA has mostly rollovers with some standup targets, some of which are direct shots and some of which are random. Chasing the lit target/number once lit is fun but more random than not. This greater randomness is what causes me to rate it last if the three.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

duo open elbow return lanes will just mess with you.

I would use some TV-MA language to describe those on my game...

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

JO forced me into refining my drop catches and bounce passes more than any other single game due to those outlanes.

#11 5 years ago

Never played Golden Arrow but have both JO and SJ. I find Sky Jump to be much more interesting to play. Jack's Open has better art, but I find it very repetitive.

#12 5 years ago

I haven't played them all but the only one I'd really want is jacks open. I've wanted it since I played it at dirt's house and almost traded for one a few months ago... one of the only 70s games I'd go for right now.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

i use that language regularly with mine... after all these years, you'd think i'd have learned... but no... try to catch, watch ball roll up and out...

#14 5 years ago

Thanks for the feedback so far guys and gals.

I have plans for my new arcade in our garage to be finished hopefully in 2016 sometime. I thought originally I would have room for 9 pins but now it looks like lucky 7, which I already have. Golden Arrow was on my Wishlist but is now off permanently thanks to this poll.

Jacks Open was on my wishlist as well but I have no room for it as I am keeping Sky Jump. I would still like a Jacks Open one day but I am not sure how to fit it in at this point, so it is on hold for now.

Ken

Garage draft -4-12-15.jpg
#15 5 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Golden Arrow was on my Wishlist but is now off permanently thanks to this poll.

Are you sure Dirtflipper has a pretty nice double of that title he'd likely sell you.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Thanks for the feedback so far guys and gals.
I have plans for my new arcade in our garage to be finished hopefully in 2016 sometime. I thought originally I would have room for 9 pins but now it looks like lucky 7, which I already have. Golden Arrow was on my Wishlist but is now off permanently thanks to this poll.
Jacks Open was on my wishlist as well but I have no room for it as I am keeping Sky Jump. I would still like a Jacks Open one day but I am not sure how to fit it in at this point, so it is on hold for now.
Ken

looks like there's room for a jacks open in there to me...

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

Are you sure Dirtflipper has a pretty nice double of that title he'd likely sell you.

Unfortunately Alex "Space IS the Final Frontier", not just for Star Trek.

Ken

#18 5 years ago

dump sure shot for jacks open you won't be sorry!

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

looks like there's room for a jacks open in there to me...

No extra room here.

Ken

#20 5 years ago

Yep, space is probably the greatest issue of this hobby. You can always make time and money, space is a greater challenge.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

dump sure shot for jacks open you won't be sorry!

Actually I have thought about selling Sure Shot. It is a good game, but Jacks Open is a better game IMO and with only space for 7 machines I want great players. All my Sure Shot needs is a New Backglass and it could win a ribbon at a pinball show as it is super nice and plays well. Rat_Tomago has played it and can verify that.

Ken

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

Yep, space is probably the greatest issue of this hobby. You can always make time and money, space is a greater challenge.

So true. I'm really curious to see if Heighway's idea of swappable playfields catches on, since it would allow "more pins" for the space.

#23 5 years ago

I had a cherry sure shot I liked it but something had to go at the time so low man out!

bg like this?

you have a nice line up, sure shot is the weakest one. add JO and it would be a killer line up
all top players imo

2012-08-30_14-25-14_991.jpg

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

y'know... all we gotta do is figure out how to get space to expand on a local, rather than universal, scale, and we'd be in business...

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

So true. I'm really curious to see if Heighway's idea of swappable playfields catches on, since it would allow "more pins" for the space.

well, they did it in the old days... so it would be nice if it did catch on today...

it would especially nice if the "creative director of bastardly opining" leans on him for some em style stuff...

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

you have a nice line up, sure shot is the weakest one. add JO and it would be a killer line up
all top players imo

Thanks Boilerman.

My 7th pin that is coming with Flying Carpet from Idaho is a 1977 Gottlieb Big Hit. I do not have it paid off yet so I did not list it in my current pins, but for all practical purposes it is mine. It is a really nice machine too. I think it is a good substitute for a Pitch & Bat, which I would tire of pretty fast owning one, but playing one once in a while is fun.

My Gottlieb King Pin arrives tomorrow from STI .

Ken

#27 5 years ago

Jacks Open all the way among these three! I love it's unique progressive drop target action, challenging open return lanes, and the strategic options to consider when completing the upper rollover lanes.

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

it would especially nice if the "creative director of bastardly opining" leans on him for some em style stuff...

Heh. For better or for worse the commercial opportunity for EM stuff seems pretty much decided now as "nope". Whatever flaws the KOD remake and Woah Nellie have had (I could list off ways I think they could have probably been seen in a more favorable light) they've pretty much shown that the market has spoken.

Maybe Scoregasm will attempt a flipper game next ...

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Heh. For better or for worse the commercial opportunity for EM stuff seems pretty much decided now as "nope". Whatever flaws the KOD remake and Woah Nellie have had (I could list off ways I think they could have probably been seen in a more favorable light) they've pretty much shown that the market has spoken.
Maybe Scoregasm will attempt a flipper game next ...

yea, i know... sad, but true...

#30 5 years ago

I prefer the Lucky Hand (ABB of Jacks Open) as much as my Free Fall (AAB Sky Jump). Just picked up the Golden Arrow in Tucson for $300.00 but have not played enough to comment. Beautiful addition to the western themed pins. Great games and gameplay.

#31 5 years ago

Ken had 5 pins set up back in December (last time I was at his house) The only games I played continuously were his Sure Shot and the AbraCaDabra I sold him. I like Sure Shot because it is like a better Bank-A-Ball with the layout. I would be sorry to see it go, but I do like the selection he has now and need to make it over to his place soon. I have never played a Jack Open yet and look forward to playing one some day.

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Sky Jump would be my fav of the 3, followed by Jacks Open
Golden Arrow doesn't quite meet its potential, great artwork though.
Sky Jump has the right combo of drops vs. rollover lanes and spot targets.

Yup. Totally agree there. "Golden Arrow" is a very nice game, and fun in it's own right, but it's a simple sequence game. "JO" is great, but gotta love the asymmetrical playfield and angled drop target bank on "SJ". I prefer the aab versions of both "JO" and "SJ", but that's just me.

#33 5 years ago

I just picked up a Sky Jump which I love the gameplay, can't really comment on your other 2 choices.

#34 5 years ago

Jacks Open
Sky Jump
Golden Arrow

The tough part is finding a Jacks Open.....
The other two are easier

#35 5 years ago

Looks like for now my plan for 2015 is to Keep Sure Shot and look for a Jacks Open down the road. I will have the space in the new arcade for both in 2016 until a Ball Bowler arrives anyways. Sky Jump will stay and Golden Arrow will not be in the lineup.

Thanks to all that participated in my poll and giving feedback.

Ken

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Renaissance, FLORIDA
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball
2,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St. Petersburg, FL
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
ArcadeArts
$ 3.00
Electronics
Docent Electronics
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.
$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 150.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 6.00
Electronics
German-Pinball-Modular
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 9,500.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
$ 9.95
$ 19.95
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside