Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

sk1 (resized).JPG
skyjump (102 of 3) (resized).jpg
sj6 (resized).JPG
sj2 (resized).JPG
skyjump (100 of 3) (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Well, for better or worse I did a repaint on my Sky Jump (74 Gottlieb)... Thoughts? Questions?

skyjump (100 of 3) (resized).jpgskyjump (100 of 3) (resized).jpg

sj2 (resized).JPGsj2 (resized).JPG

sj6 (resized).JPGsj6 (resized).JPG

skyjump (102 of 3) (resized).jpgskyjump (102 of 3) (resized).jpg

sk1 (resized).JPGsk1 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

Looks good. Curious to know your webbing technique and what kind of paint you used on the cabinet.

#3 6 years ago

Yes, nice job on the webbing...

#4 6 years ago

I've got the same paint job on my list to do. Care to list your paints & methods? Thanks, looks great.

#5 6 years ago

Sky jump is one of of the last Wedgeheads with webbing. Free Fall , same exact stencil, has spatter

#6 6 years ago

jeffc I would be happy to detail the method, including how I did that webbing (what a pain this webbing thing is!). Will get back to this tomorrow or next day.

#7 6 years ago

Okay so the first the cabinet,
As it was the cabinet was significantly yellowed with a tobacco and age, I tried to take that off with Mean Green and Simple Green and Mean Purple but to no avail. So I decided to repaint. I did light sending with machine with I think it 150 grit sandpaper all over. There was some damaged here and there which I fixed with bondo. (Awesome stuff, not just for auto body work)

After the sanding I use rustoleum antique white or some such thing and spray the whole cabinet with two cans of that. I was not pleased with the coverage, So I bought some Restoleum in a (non spray) can and rolled it on. Got good coverage with that, Next time I won't do any spray.

As far as the webbing is concerned I used a touch up spray gun and some of the Krylon wedding diluted with lacquer thinner (De-Canning spray paint is a hoot!!). At about 50 psi. I think that some of the hobby lacquers would do just as well but I would have to experiment with that. I believe that Testers or Tamiya sprays De-canned would be fine.

Here is a link to the Basic recipe I used for the wedding. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/webbing-how-not-to#post-3512101
it is the Boilerman post.

Now, as far as the stencil is concerned and having a photography background, I just photographed the stencil with rulers and printed it out life-size on two or three or four sheets each and tape them together and cut out the blue and the red. (I use the rulers to double check the size on the printout.) I've been sprayed a light coat of spread he said onto the back of the stencil and let it dry for five minutes. Then I was able to apply it to the cabinet and spray and then pull it off. I actually did two sets, one for each color. I thought I could spray one side and flip it over and spray the other side but that did not work at all because of the paint that was left on from the first spray. I had to cut a second set of stencils. I did learn however that the top color which in this case was blue does not need to be as big as the whole cabinet there're three pieces I cut out and just placed by hand.

After all that, I did two or three coats of clear with Restoleum which I will probably not ever use again. I had some pretty serious crackling on a very small portion that I had to redo.

Let me know if there any questions hope this helps.

#8 6 years ago

Thanks for the writeup @fotoboy. This will be my 2nd cabinet, but 1st with webbing. I'm going to get one of those touch-up guns for the webbing.

#9 6 years ago

JEFFC, I think I got mine at HomeDepot for like $15... and I have a small air compressor. You just have to have some room to practice... I did have some trouble with the webbing drying before it landed, and I thinned it some, which helped. But that's why I did a clearcoat. The webbing would initially come off with masking tape... wow, memories!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Machine - For Sale
Santa Rosa, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sky-jump-cabinet-redo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.