(Topic ID: 226425)

Sky High Cost to ship a populated playfield ?

By DRDAVE

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Sky High Cost to ship a populated playfield ?”

• Use UPS 0 votes
  • Use Fedex 1 vote
    33%
  • Shipping big items not worth the costs, offer local pick up only 0 votes
  • Use DHL 2 votes
    67%

(3 votes)

#1 5 years ago

I have a populated Paragon playfield that I have wrapped up and placed into a bicycle shipping box. The box is 58x11x33. This calculates to 152lb dimensional weight according to the shipping calculator. Actual weight is around 50 lbs. I had sticker shock with the Fedex and UPS quotes that came back as $260 was the lowest I could find. I was expecting around $75. Anyone have similar experience and better advice on shipping a populated playfield?

(If it really costs this much, looks like I'm going to have to sell my populated playfields locally instead.)

Thanks for any help on this!

#2 5 years ago

The problem is the "dimensional weight" that is calculated is inaccurate. But expect to pay about $130-$150 to ship it.
I have used DHL with no issues but their calculator was way off as well, almost estimated double the actual price to ship.
-Mike

#3 5 years ago

Just got back from UPS and actual did come in *a little* lower: $230 to ship with no insurance/no signature etc to residential addy.

#4 5 years ago

This is shipping using a bicycle box so it is a bit large.

#5 5 years ago

I think the only way to ship a populated playfield is to pull the major mechs and ship them in a separate box. I've received too many playfields with broken coils and cracked or bent brackets and mechs that I ask sellers to clip the wires close and take them off.

It's very hard to protect a populated playfield without shipping it in a crate.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

I think the only way to ship a populated playfield is to pull the major mechs and ship them in a separate box. I've received too many playfields with broken coils and cracked or bent brackets and mechs that I ask sellers to clip the wires close and take them off.
It's very hard to protect a populated playfield without shipping it in a crate.

I packed it with large styrofoam corners that suspended the playfield so the box itself wasn't touching any of the mechs. It would have shipped fine.
Moot point now as I will just sell these locally at this point.

#7 5 years ago

Fastenal could be an option if you could crate and pallet it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Munster, IN
$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MO
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

3,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mountainside, NJ
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sky-high-cost-to-ship-a-populated-playfield- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.