Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 505 posts
  • 145 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by GravitaR
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CourierHST-DS1L.jpg
    Way_things_work.jpg
    Obliterator.jpg
    Obliterator-1.jpg
    Barbarian.jpg
    Barbarian.gif
    Frank.jpg
    hqdefault-738.jpg
    timmy.jpg
    Gods_(Amiga)_03.png
    gods-ss1.gif
    Screen Shot 2015-02-11 at 5.47.54 PM.png
    359969.jpg
    359973-i.jpg
    359971-i.jpg
    PREDATOR.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whysnow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#14 9 years ago

interested to see how this unfolds but not until I am playing my Predator.

I actually think the theme and idea of somewhat liscensed but not really combined with having Adam and Jamie to hopefullly be very involved and make some amazing toys could be very cool.

#25 9 years ago

First I have seen the art, thanks Aurich!

I actually think the concept of the art is pretty cool and very "pinbally", it just needs some polishing.

For constructive feedback, both jamie and adams posture look a little too animatronic, if that makes sense. Maybe they are also supposed to be robotic looking.

Kevin >> curious where Sean (the guy that won the sweet prize from last year MRP) is being incorporated? Will be very cool if he is a dummy

Blondetall >> user U2Sean was the prize winner and I think he has provided some mug shots to SkitB?

#27 9 years ago
    Quoted from tomdotcom:

Is this going to be a real thing? Worst artwork of all time...I can draw better with my 3year olds sidewalk crayons...

let's see it...

If you don't like it then be constructive with your critisism.

#31 9 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

thats a deal breaker right there...

lol

#32 9 years ago
    Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

However in the end it's all going to come down to the gameplay.

agreed.

So shot layout appears to provide a 2 flipper game, standard fan layout, some tight shots, possibly a rotating buzzsaw randomizer...

what else

#59 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Here's my shitty 2-second crayon sketch....just a rough idea about how to give the poses more action and personality

shittysketch.jpg 93 KB

yup, pretty bad!

#64 9 years ago

By the looks of it, if they already have a flipping proto with art and translite then there is likely little room for change...

#79 9 years ago
    Quoted from SkitBPinball:

bgnewestr.jpg 518 KB

playfieldcolor.jpg 253 KB

sean.jpg 6 KB

WOW!!! LOL Sean is the blue waffles plastic. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I love it!!!! hilarious!!!!

#81 9 years ago

what is sean saying/ in the thought text? I can't read it. something about good with syrup???

#83 9 years ago

anyone that does not know should google "blue waffles"

#86 9 years ago

still likely one of the coolest prizes ever in pinball!

#95 9 years ago

I am excited for the SkitB guys and understand the need to think about and plan out #2 at this time but they sure as hell better be very cognizant of the 250 paid customers on Predator and the new expectations now that they have a truckload of customer cash. Managing perceptions is very important for any business and as we have seen the good will and trust truck is running pretty low for pinball startups currently.

Communication on Predator will need to uptick and info needs to be provided soon/ progress of parts being ordered and games being built needs to be demonstrated. I think it will as they understand that Game #1 still needs to be deemed a success if they hope to make a long term viable business out of pinball. Fail on game #1 and game #2 will never happen.

#115 9 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

In this case, I may be wrong, but aren't the two SB guys doing everything?
    rd.

There are currently 4 or 5 on the team I believe. That is how many I met at MGC that were official members.

I think the designer for game #2 is Joey???

#145 9 years ago

Just want to say again that I LIKE the overall art package on number 2. Focus is still on number 1. but lots of armchair critics so may as well share my armchair support.

#181 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Again though, it's maybe best to not even use the word art here, it comes with a lot of baggage. We're talking commercial design. Which can still be beautiful and artistic, but it's also functional.
    Your translite, your cabinet, they're billboards for your game. We expect them to do certain things. .

I buy many of my games for the Art and I do not expect anything besides "I LIKE IT". They are NOT commercial designs to me.

I was an art history major at one point in a different life and quickly realized that most of the critics are full of shit and art is all about what people like. Science has rules. Art is whatever the hell the artist wants it to be and often more about the story behind it than the actual work.

It honestly amazes that any pinball designers are willing to share anything at this stage on pinside! It does them no good. They either need to share MUCH earlier in the process and design a game just based on the needs of vocal pinsiders (which keep in mind they will likely never buy the game and just seem to liek to be critical) or just keep it all to themselves, produce the game and then show it as a finished product and be ready to sell it.

The ambiguity of showing a WIP that may have many things already designed and cemented in does them no good.

Maybe an alternative is to find some pinheads who want to help and opinions you value to have a CLOSED focus group before making anything public. Then present as the "final" product to the public at stages.

All that said, it appears many on pinside are very vocal about not liking the current art. If skitB thinks that pinside represents their greater market then they shoudl probably do like Ben says and make some changes.

#185 9 years ago
    Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

Its a good thing you chose a different career path then.

Yes, I quickly realized I did not want to deal with a bunch of art snobs making up rules for something which at its very core is more of an emotion to me. I prefer that portion of my brain to feel rather than analyze.

Oddly enough I am a scientist in a highly regulated world that is COMPLETELY opposite of art.

Quoted from yancy:

They are, whether you know it or not. You're (potentially) buying a commercial product which has been designed to appeal to you. If you enjoy it without "seeing the design," then EOD works for at least one person.

I have to imagine that the VAST majority of games from botique pin manufacturers are made for homes and not actual commercial products?

All I care about at first is IF it is fun to shoot and the code stands up. After that and MUCH lower on the list is how the art looks. Granted I will always take hand drawn over much of the crap on newer games. Even if that hand drawn violates the tangents of alanytical artists.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whysnow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/skit-b-newest-machine-experts-of-danger?tu=whysnow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.