Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 505 posts
  • 145 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by GravitaR
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CourierHST-DS1L.jpg
    Way_things_work.jpg
    Obliterator.jpg
    Obliterator-1.jpg
    Barbarian.jpg
    Barbarian.gif
    Frank.jpg
    hqdefault-738.jpg
    timmy.jpg
    Gods_(Amiga)_03.png
    gods-ss1.gif
    Screen Shot 2015-02-11 at 5.47.54 PM.png
    359969.jpg
    359973-i.jpg
    359971-i.jpg
    PREDATOR.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chadderack.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Nice to see them attempting an original-ish theme...but the artwork package is pretty terrible. Stiff fan-art drawings, way-too-busy compositions and garish color.

+1

#55 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

both jamie and adams posture look a little too animatronic, if that makes sense.

The figures are stiff.

Quoted from tomdotcom:

Is this going to be a real thing? Worst artwork of all time

Kind of agree with your sentiment, but not strongly.

Quoted from yancy:

Indeed. The art is... (I'm trying not to be a dick here) not my cup of tea. I can't imagine having something like that in my house, no matter how cool the game might be.

Quoted from Rarehero:

You can have a legitimate opinion on bad art without having to "put up or shut up". If the art is bad, there's nothing wrong with someone saying it's bad.

It's true.

The problems:

--Stiff figures
    --Busy background that competes too much with foreground
    --Negative shapes that appear not to have been designed well
    --Pointing elements that don't point anywhere (search light beam pointing lower left to upper right)... the other beam at least points to the dummy's head.
    --Not much color design; competing colors in terms of warm/cool and complementary color theory
    --Illogical lighting; shadows on both sides of figures as well as the top (see dummy's head)
    --Tangents everywhere
    --Perspective mistakes (see barrel tops in translite art)

Could continue, but that's a start.

#163 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

bride_of_mythbusters_by_timshinn... 117 KB

mythbuster_bond.jpg 154 KB

There you are. Good design. Exciting, even.

#219 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

The art department could have taken art classes for a few months while Predators got built.

Months?

#227 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Teeheee....we're dicks.

"We're"?

#230 9 years ago
    Quoted from tslayer71:

You say the artwork sucks - but that's only your opinion right - or is it fact? Right now i see bashing not constructive critism. It would be nice to talk about the game - not how much the art sucks........

There was plenty of constructive crits on the art earlier in the thread.

#236 9 years ago
    Quoted from tslayer71:

You say the artwork sucks - but that's only your opinion right - or is it fact? Right now i see bashing not constructive critism. It would be nice to talk about the game - not how much the art sucks........

None of this was bashing

Quoted from Rarehero:

Stiff fan-art drawings, way-too-busy compositions and garish color.

Quoted from navajas:

...it's very busy, maybe like an ill advised tattoo catalog choice or something

Quoted from Linolium:

1) The logo, while it looks very cool, is very busy and difficult to actually read. I believe that if I'm unable to take a quick second or two glance some important advertising text (such as a logo) and easily read it, then I tend to question it's ultimate effectiveness.
    2) The lines on the playfield seem very thick which causes the objects and people seem very simply drawn without much interior detail besides large crosshatched lines. It almost seems as though it was drawn on a normal sized or legal sized piece of paper with a fine tip pencil, then blown up to playfield size.
    3) The shading seems very basic... how can I quantify this... everything seems evenly shaded in a semi-uniform manor without much attention spent on where an actual light source is. I believe this is called Pillow Shading. Look at this web page for a better idea of what I'm talking about http://www.natomic.com/hosted/marks/mpat/shading.html
    2 and 3 are definitely easy to fix, and I wouldn't be surprised if the shown playfield art is just a work-in-progress image rendered solely for the reveal. 1, however, may be more of a licensing thing, but I feel the title logo should be greatly simplified so it's easier to read.
    -Lin

Quoted from chadderack:

The figures are stiff.

--Stiff figures
    --Busy background that competes too much with foreground
    --Negative shapes that appear not to have been designed well
    --Pointing elements that don't point anywhere (search light beam pointing lower left to upper right)... the other beam at least points to the dummy's head.
    --Not much color design; competing colors in terms of warm/cool and complementary color theory
    --Illogical lighting; shadows on both sides of figures as well as the top (see dummy's head)
    --Tangents everywhere
    --Perspective mistakes (see barrel tops in translite art)

Quoted from jdoz2:

Look at all the bombs/missiles that designate shots. They are the same image reused 4 times.

Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

The overall appearance is flat and dull. Some elements seem large to just take up space while others are too small. Tiny gripes would be could Jamie really fire that gun one handed ? Regarding Adam it would be cool if the art showed him on the follow through of his swing cutting the dummies head off. The dummies head could be spinning as it flys off its body facing forward then you could light its eyes up or something via playfield insert.

Quoted from Rarehero:

-The poses are terrible. The big Dummyzombie...is he supposed to look menacing? It looks like he's trying to poop in the city. Why is the smoke from Beret-man's gun going down? Smoke rises! Or is it a hat-gun? Did he just shoot that hat onto Leatherjacket-man's head? Look at the characters' hands. AMATEUR HANDS!
    -The color is terrible
    -The shading/rendering is terrible. Cross-hatches everywhere and colored-pencil style shading
    -The fire looks terrible...it looks like soft-serve ice cream ghosts.
    -Bad composition and tangents everywhere...look at that arm Beret-man is holding...right on the Dummyzombie's back. Professional artists should know not to do things like that!

Quoted from Aurich:

When you do things that violate the perspective of a drawing (see the roundel on the dummy's chest above Jamie, it's facing dead towards the viewer in the round when the chest it's on is sloped away from the viewer) it looks bad. When you combine cross hatching with pillow shading and indeterminate light sources it looks bad.
    This design is a mismatch of styles, it's overly busy, difficult to read, and full of mistakes in composition.

Quoted from Richthofen:

The point of the backglass and playfield art is to TELL A STORY, and to get you to drop a quarter in the coin slot. It has to read, it has to emphasize a year's worth of work by engineers, designers, musicians, programmers, etc distilled down into something that reads well enough that you turn your head and want to play a game.
    I didn't even notice the backglass had a logo / name of the game on it until I re-examined the glass 4 or 5 times.

Quoted from JoelOmatik:

The characters seem somewhat stiff and should stand out with more flow, urgency and energy, while still retaining the comic vibe of the Mythbuster guys... I don't care for the logo, it's too busy, overwhelming and the colors clash too much.

Quoted from blondetall:

...the logo is still really hard to read. The red and yellow together messes with my eyes, and while the 'dangerous' looks cool in theory, it comes across as a big jumble.

Quoted from Aurich:

I showed my wife the translite design and asked her the name of the game and she was just confused by my question, the visual noise level was so high she didn't even notice it (granted she was also tired and didn't really want to put up with my stupid questions). That's bad.
    So like the tangent with the dummy arm that Jamie is holding, it's just visually really awkward the way it seems to connect with the shoulder of the dummy in the background. The depth of field becomes skewed by that.
    Jamie is holding a huge gun with just his left hand, but it's drawn such that it looks like he's braced it against his right shoulder. Then the smoke from the barrel is drifting downwards, implying that he just shot right at Adam, whipped the gun back up, and then struck his stiff robot pose. It doesn't make any sense
    Look at the saw blade. The 3D depth doesn't have a consistent direction. The teeth of the saw look warped and torqued instead of flat.

Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

The title of the game seems to be camouflaged right into the backglass (you barely even notice it's there). The most important characters (Jamie and Adam) are much less prominent than the crash-test dummies. The theme of the game is "Experts of Dangerous" and not "Crash Test Dummies Revenge", right? Overall, the colors in general make everything seem to run together.

#244 9 years ago
    Quoted from tslayer71:

What if like the one on the Right? I'm wrong according to you. I can't have an opinion. Now I'm starting to see. I'll ask the question again is it a fact that the game's art is bad, or is it your opinon. Simple question, I don't need a four paragraph answer.

The design is bad. Or rather, the design is missing. There is no design. Answers already given by many.

#270 9 years ago

"Beating a dead horse" implies that nothing can be done about the art. Is that really the case?

#286 9 years ago
    Quoted from reltham:

Art is purely subjective. If you think otherwise, then you are disconnected from reality.

Either that or you may know a damn thing about art & design.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chadderack.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/skit-b-newest-machine-experts-of-danger?tu=chadderack and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.