5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by jgadzia
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

Started having a problem with my TAF not recognizing the skill shot. Checked all the switches from the outhole to the shooter lane to the outhole for the skill shot and they are all working appropriately per the switch test with a real pinball, (not just with my finger) When the ball hits the outhole for the skill shot the outhole plunger ejects the ball so i know the switch is detecting the ball, it is just not scoring the skill shot. unplugged and repluged in all the ribbon cables, still having the problem. all the switches pass the switch test and the switch for the skill shot is working appropriately especially as it will trigger the ball eject. So since the signal is clearly reaching the board but the board isnt registering the shot, can i assume that either the rom is corrupted or the cpu board is bad? The diagnostic lights on the cpu board are lit appropriately per the manual on startup and during game play. any help appreciated

#2 5 years ago

Been a few years since I had TAF but I remember this problem when I bought my game.

Did you go into switch test and actually launch a ball to see if the correct switch sequence occurs. It may be registering the hole switch but not in the expected order since that kickout hole is used for several scoring sequences like thing. Also if another switch is scored erroneously it wont count.

#3 5 years ago

all the switches are working. i tried firing a ball up through and all the switch test check out appropriately. Bad ROM or CPU board?

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from jgadzia:

all the switches are working. i tried firing a ball up through and all the switch test check out appropriately. Bad ROM or CPU board?

It seems weird for a ROM or CPU to go bad in a way that affects a single game rule.

What KJL is saying is that all the switches may be working, but if not activated in the correct order during the ball launch, this may be your issue. Say for example there are two different switches triggered by the ball entering. Or maybe due to a short, or a misplaced wire travelling through a switch, a different switch also gets activated. If the wrong one is registering first, it fails your skill shot. Just one possibility.

#5 5 years ago

I had a similar problem on a spiderman at the doc ock hole. It would register the ball and kick it out but it wouldn’t register the shot and advance multiball.

It ended up being a switch adjustment issue, even though it registered the ball in test mode. The switch needs to stay closed while the ball is there or it won’t register the score. Go to active switch test and put a ball in the hole. Make sure the switch stays closed and doesn’t just flash.

#6 5 years ago

Agree with above. Sounds like the switch needs to be adjusted or replaced.

#7 5 years ago

ok thanks for the help. I figured it out for anyone else who runs into this problem. I checked the switch levels and saw that the right slingshot switch was closed, which is interesting because it wasnt firing the kicker at all, but during a game it seemed to work normally, maybe both switches have to be closed? anyway fixed that and still didnt work. I spent the next hour checking the shooter lane and thing eject switches which is far as i could tell were working properly. decided to record a video of what the game was doing to post on here and as i was reviewing the video to post noticed that graveyard value was popping up on the screen anytime the ball was ejected into the shooter lane. Then realized that the blue popbumper was firing everytime the ball was being ejected into the shooter lane. I guess the vibration of the ball eject was causing the popbumper switch to make contact and delivering a score which then negated the skill shot. Increased the distance of the pop bumper switch and everything works! Thanks for everyones help!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/skill-shot-not-registering-on-taf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.