Topic Stats

• 126 posts
  • 37 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by dudah
  • Topic is favorited by 45 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 57 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).png
DSCN5190 (resized).JPG
DSCN5224 (resized).JPG
cam (resized).jpg
1561D096-C3D4-44D3-9330-2556A6C71995 (resized).jpeg

There are 126 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 51 days ago

I'm ready to rock and roll.
Hackerspace (where all the fancy tools are) won't open back up until COVID lightens up in Chicago.
We still haven't peaked yet. Was looking like June 1 but now June 15 is more likely.
I've been keeping myself busy with knocking out other house and pinball projects.

Been meaning to use the above trial setup to test the flicking action and coin travel physics.

Summary:
Game logic 1.0 is done.
I've been thinking about writing some cooler attract light sequences but they're very manual and can be done later.

All the design files for the cabinet, playfield, light board, and art stencils are ready to cut on the CNC.
Track and plexi covers will be cut on the laser cutter.

I recently gave a game to a family friend who's a machinist and gave me a crash course on milling in his garage shop.
The metal rods will be turned on the lathe by hand.
The knobs and flickers will be CNC'd on a Tormach.
Sensor holders will be cut on a plasma cutter and bent on the brake.

I have all the power supplies and parts in a box ready to go.

I've been scratching the surface at learning CAM in Fusion360 via YouTube and that's the last missing part of the puzzle.
My pieces are relatively trivial so I've been putting it off.

#102 51 days ago

Thanks for the update, I can’t wait to see the finished product.

#103 50 days ago

cool project, following

#104 50 days ago

Also following.....
Great job thus far.
Keep up the good work.

2 weeks later
#105 34 days ago

So Chicago re-opened this week. Hackerspace is back open but with social distancing and occupancy restrictions. No big deal.
I was authorized on the ShopBot (CNC) but forgot everything about it, so will be re-authorizing June 20th.
Until then, I have some work to do learning more Fusion360 with toolpaths.

#106 34 days ago
Quoted from dudah:

So Chicago re-opened this week. Hackerspace is back open but with social distancing and occupancy restrictions. No big deal.
I was authorized on the ShopBot (CNC) but forgot everything about it, so will be re-authorizing June 20th.
Until then, I have some work to do learning more Fusion360 with toolpaths.

Keep up the great work and I look forward to additional progress and updates!

2 weeks later
#107 19 days ago

Refresher course was pretty easy. Nice to have someone to ask questions to instead of googling and youtubing for answers.
Part II of the authorization is cutting a project IRL which the instructor is gonna try scheduling people in a week or two.
Learning toolpaths is pretty straight forward, especially for what I'm doing.

cam (resized).jpg
#108 17 days ago

Getting more comfortable with Fusion in terms of lining up my projects to get ready for CNC, generating toolpaths, cleaning up construction.
Instructor mentioned that somebody broke the CNC so the in-person authorization won't be for at least two weeks until parts arrived and it's fixed
In the meantime, I can continue to tweak the playfield layout.
To setup the playfield for quarters vs. nickels - I first measured the holes you drop down and compared to the width of a nickel to get a ratio. I then applied that ratio to the width of a quarter. Some of the track layout got very tight. I'm a little worried about the physics of a quarter traveling in some tight spaces, but have made it the best I can. Worst case, I can easily made a nickel version.
Next time I'm at Home Depot I'll do some shopping for the nice oak wood/stain on the sides.
Pandemic timing wasn't the best, but it's certainly letting me take my time with this project and plan intelligently.

#109 16 days ago
Quoted from dudah:

To setup the playfield for quarters vs. nickels

Looking forward to seeing how the quarter mod plays. I think it’ll be great

#110 16 days ago
Quoted from dudah:

Getting more comfortable with Fusion in terms of lining up my projects to get ready for CNC, generating toolpaths, cleaning up construction.
Instructor mentioned that somebody broke the CNC so the in-person authorization won't be for at least two weeks until parts arrived and it's fixed
In the meantime, I can continue to tweak the playfield layout.
To setup the playfield for quarters vs. nickels - I first measured the holes you drop down and compared to the width of a nickel to get a ratio. I then applied that ratio to the width of a quarter. Some of the track layout got very tight. I'm a little worried about the physics of a quarter traveling in some tight spaces, but have made it the best I can. Worst case, I can easily made a nickel version.
Next time I'm at Home Depot I'll do some shopping for the nice oak wood/stain on the sides.
Pandemic timing wasn't the best, but it's certainly letting me take my time with this project and plan intelligently.[quoted image]

You should be good with the quarter. I've seen the originals converted to quarters and they work fine. I'm guessing since you are going the opto route you won't be doing the inner plexi

#111 16 days ago
Quoted from edward472:

You should be good with the quarter. I've seen the originals converted to quarters and they work fine. I'm guessing since you are going the opto route you won't be doing the inner plexi

I'm still undetermined on that. I love the glowing effect where the switches are.
Naturally I wouldn't have that. So what else could I engrave in there that would look cool?
Otherwise I'd have to modify the mounting and keep the playfield flush with the front plexi to keep the coins flush. Which saves on material/cost.

Loose plan now is to build a cabinet, cut a playfield, and rather than use measurements from the original cabinet, come up with my own system for mounting the playfield/front glass. TBD

#112 16 days ago

for the switch areas, route a small engrave and then edge light and they will all glow and possible backlight with a different colour when a switch is activated

#113 16 days ago
Quoted from dudah:

I'm still undetermined on that. I love the glowing effect where the switches are.
Naturally I wouldn't have that. So what else could I engrave in there that would look cool?
Otherwise I'd have to modify the mounting and keep the playfield flush with the front plexi to keep the coins flush. Which saves on material/cost.
Loose plan now is to build a cabinet, cut a playfield, and rather than use measurements from the original cabinet, come up with my own system for mounting the playfield/front glass. TBD

I'm not gonna lie. The glow is really cool on the inner plexi. I'm sure you could engrave something on the plexi for the same effect

1 week later
#114 9 days ago

The discussion above got me thinking I was missing out on the switch holes illuminating.
I decided to put in some pinball inserts (50cents/pc x 27) where the points circle artwork is.
I will also put some individually addressable RGB LED's behind each insert.

There's already logic in the code for what "level" the coin is at, I'm shooting to have the biggest point value fading rainbow and maybe solid colors on the smaller points. Flickering red and orange on the drain holes.
I also will have the ability to do some very impressive lightshows with the FastLED library - http://fastled.io/
I'll install these with the cabinet but likely won't program them in until the tail end of the project.
I currently want to focus getting the cabinet built and putting everything in there instead of having a mess of wires on my workbench.

Been knocking out some random small things:
Bought the LED's and tested them with an Arduino
Bought the inserts from PBL
Cleaned up the front and side stencils and sized them up for perfect sized stencils
Made a cutout for the coin door
Made the coin door (with proper edges)
Designed some brackets to hold the RGB LED's for the drain holes and inserts (just modified the sensor holder)
Tweaked the playfield rails and design
Updated the playfield to include the playfield inserts

Waiting to get authorized on the CNC, still antsy to cut the cabinet and get that going. Hopefully in the next 2 weeks.

For the playfield I'm planning to ever so slightly "engrave" where the tracks go on the playfield.
I will also laser cut some 1/8" for the tracks and in a perfect world they'll line up perfect!
When I get there, I've thought about only using the plexi on the playfield and nixing the extra piece of glass.
Since there's no incentive to light up the plexi, I could put playfield illumination (a warm white LED strip) outside of the playfield.
It'd be a good cost saving measure, but having some real glass cut would also certainly give it an authentic touch!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#115 9 days ago

Whipped up this replica coin acceptor in 10 minutes.
May 3D print it, may CNC it out of metal, may not use it.

#116 8 days ago
Quoted from dudah:

Not very pleased with the colors and printing on the window cling, politely complained to the company.
AM pleased with the artwork! Will likely lighten up the colors a little bit.
Not sure I'll stick with the window cling material. The white isn't very transparent. May just make a translite and tape it.
Good news is it lined up with the light board perfect!
The diodes are obviously visible, but if I pull them about a half inch away it all blends together.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Love the Q101 sticker on the mirror

#117 8 days ago

I've had so many requests for my skill roll. Please make this so I can just forward people to your shop.

#118 8 days ago
Quoted from cait001:

I've had so many requests for my skill roll. Please make this so I can just forward people to your shop.

And here I thought everyone would be after that sweet Sega Basketball

#119 8 days ago
Quoted from edward472:

And here I thought everyone would be after that sweet Sega Basketball

You mean this one? http://www.pinrepair.com/baseball/segabb.htm
I don't have one of those. Would love to play one some day.

#120 8 days ago
Quoted from cait001:

You mean this one? http://www.pinrepair.com/baseball/segabb.htm
I don't have one of those. Would love to play one some day.

Must have had you mix up with someone else. I played one when I was young and recently at the Pinball Museum. It was still awesome.

#121 8 days ago

Duplicate

#122 6 days ago

Photoshopped up the "game of skill" sticker - turned out pretty good. Wish I was able to get a proper scan or at least took my picture more head on.

The inserts also arrived today, very pleased at the part tolerances - 1" wide, .25" depth, .1" lip. Easily added these into the playfield file.

DSCN5224 (resized).JPG

#123 6 days ago
Quoted from dudah:

Photoshopped up the "game of skill" sticker - turned out pretty good. Wish I was able to get a proper scan or at least took my picture more head on.
The inserts also arrived today, very pleased at the part tolerances - 1" wide, .25" depth, .1" lip. Easily added these into the playfield file.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

If you need pics of anything let me know

#124 5 days ago

So excited to see the progress here. Even more so to actually buy one and add it to my game room
Wonderful work!

#125 5 days ago
Quoted from dudah:

Looks pretty good! You might be able to stretch/skew that photo back into a rectangle, or find a close enough font to reproduce the top line.

#126 3 days ago

Went back to the hackerspace for the first time in months to help a friend.
Printed the LED bracket - very nice.
Printed the coin acceptor - needs some adjustments but I like the idea of it.

I don't think I mentioned it before but what's pictured is what I got for a coin mech.
It's nice because it can pulse the Arduino to start a game and the coin meter separately.
It can also be programmed to accept any size coin.

While it's cool functionally, I wasn't thrilled with the idea of that coin mech face on the side.
From a cosmetic, authenticity, and practicality (what if against a wall) standpoint.

CNC'ing the coin acceptor in metal could be a fancy addition.
I'd also have to come up with a reject rod.
And make the reject chute/tray.

May go the extra mile and make these also.
I suppose I need to translate my skills I've learned in Fusion to the Tormach CNC.
I'm curious as to how much it will cost in material and labor.
Just researched and need to do some training online first.
I contacted the authorizer (whom I've met before and is a cool guy) and he's willing to get me trained up!

Otherwise, getting very antsy to cut the cabinet!
Not this week, but next week I'm taking off for my birthday, so am hoping to make a serious dent in this project then!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngDSCN5190 (resized).JPGpasted_image (resized).png
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Kansas City, MO
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
MI Pinball Refinery
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Arcade Arts
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CzTV Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 2.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 28.00
£ 50.00
Cabinet Parts
PinballToys
€ 6.50
Flipper Parts
Buthamburg
$ 25.00
Apparel - Unisex
T-shirt- Grey Color Out of stock
Project Pinball Charity
$ 229.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 62.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 20.00
Various Novelties
GC Pinball
$ 9,099.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 5,599.00
Pinball Machine
Ghostbusters Pro Out of stock
Operation Pinball
$ 65.00
Playfield - Plastics
Ramp-O-Matic
There are 126 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside