pasted_image (resized).png
There are 360 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 8.
#1 4 years ago

I like Skill Roll. I like weirdo EM games. I've always wanted a Skill Roll. I'm way too cheap to buy one (if one would ever come up for sale).
So I decided to make one.
It's not a reproduction as I'll be using modern electronics to control the game.
But nearly all of the parts and dimensions are reproduction quality.

I've been working on this for the past month and made a lot of significant progress.
While I'm stuck planning and designing during quarantine, I plan on using the tools available to me at my local hackerspace to get this done.
Some things I'm familiar with - Laser cutter, 3D printer, vinyl cutter, Arduino
Some things that are new to me - Tormach CNC (for metal), Shopbot CNC (for wood), plasma cutter, welding, metal lathe, brake and mill.

I love learning new things and this project has been a great excuse to do something new. I've been a bit burnt out with pinball projects and shopping playfields.
It's been on my list for a few years to learn proper modeling. I knew a little in SketchUp but knew that wasn't the right path. Fortunately, Fusion360 licenses are available for free for home hobbyists. I followed the "Learn Fusion360 or die trying" series in YouTube university. I'm very please with how powerful and versatile Fusion is. Also pleased with how much I was able to do with only a few hours of messing around with it.

Here's what's done:
Wood:
Cabinet design
Lightboard panel

Metal:
Knob
Flicker plate
Decorative bezel under knob
Shaft

Electronics:
I'll be utilizing an Arduino Mega to control the game logic, I got the programming done in a little over 1000 lines of code.

I'm itching for quarantine to be over to get the cabinet cut and assembled!
I've got a bunch more parts on the way and a few more problems to solve, but it's been very fun!
I finished the code tonight and am hoping to have a breadboard prototype with the switches and lights in a week or so.
cab (resized).JPGcab (resized).JPGknobflicker (resized).JPGknobflicker (resized).JPGbezel (resized).JPGbezel (resized).JPGflicker (resized).JPGflicker (resized).JPGknob (resized).JPGknob (resized).JPGlight board (resized).JPGlight board (resized).JPGplayfield (resized).JPGplayfield (resized).JPG

#2 4 years ago

I have a real old and crappy 3D printer that had a bunch of things wrong with it.
Spent a couple hours today fixing it and tuning it up.
Still have some improvements to make, but I managed to squeeze out this prototype of the flicker knob.
Good for testing, but the final will be CNC'd out of 303 stainless.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#3 4 years ago

I'm trying to keep costs down (see frugality in post #1).
A bell and knocker unit was being considered, but a nice eBay auction got me both in brass for $40 shipped, how could i say no!?

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from dudah:

I'm trying to keep costs down (see frugality in post #1).

How much do you estimate you will spend on the remake for the components/materials? Asking since quite a few Skill Rolls have been coming out of the woodwork in Northern Michigan (Lower Peninsula) in the past few years for under $200.00; Usually complete just needing a repro glass and cabinet repair or painting.

#5 4 years ago

Yes!!! The world needs another Skill-Roll!

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Asking since quite a few Skill Rolls have been coming out of the woodwork in Northern Michigan (Lower Peninsula) in the past few years for under $200.00; Usually complete just needing a repro glass and cabinet repair or painting.

holy carp! Please go tell them Skill-Roll thread because there's a lineup forming of people looking for one.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-skill-roll/page/

#7 4 years ago

I imagine you are going to have a lot of people who will want to buy one from you.

Great work, keep the updates coming.

#8 4 years ago

Awesome start.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

holy carp! Please go tell them Skill-Roll thread because there's a lineup forming of people looking for one.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-skill-roll/page/

See my wanted add below

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

How much do you estimate you will spend on the remake for the components/materials? Asking since quite a few Skill Rolls have been coming out of the woodwork in Northern Michigan (Lower Peninsula) in the past few years for under $200.00; Usually complete just needing a repro glass and cabinet repair or painting.

Lol I think you’re missing a zero there. Ipdb has 1500 confirmed units, from 1956 so there can’t be many left!

I’m currently a little over $200, I’d love to keep it under $400 but I’m not there yet.

#11 4 years ago

I'll buy all the $200 Skill Rolls I can get my hands on, bring em' on!!

John

#12 4 years ago

After John send one my way for $200.

I believe there is aNot her company making a remake. I’ll see if I can find.

#13 4 years ago

You don't find them in the pinside marketplace or on-line ads for that matter. You need to drive and look for them.

#14 4 years ago

Not what I was thinking of but way better. Following

#15 4 years ago

Interesting. Following. You need the most unnoticed part... the escosion washer around the lock

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from edward472:

Interesting. Following. You need the most unnoticed part... the escosion washer around the lock

Nice! I didn't know what these were called, thanks for the info.
Managed to find one here - https://web.archive.org/web/20170417165448/http://pinballsalvage.com/Product/test
Their site seems messed up so I send them a message. Worst case I can make this also. While not necessary, I like the look.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from dudah:

Nice! I didn't know what these were called, thanks for the info.
Managed to find one here - https://web.archive.org/web/20170417165448/http://pinballsalvage.com/Product/test
Their site seems messed up so I send them a message. Worst case I can make this also. While not necessary, I like the look.[quoted image]

Give him a call. His website hasn't worked for awhile. Super nice guy. I bought a couple recently.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from dudah:

I didn't know what these were called

Just trying to be helpful: actual spelling is escutcheon, might help in searching.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

I'll buy all the $200 Skill Rolls I can get my hands on, bring em' on!!
John

Hell, $2,000 is starting to sound good...

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from edward472:

Give him a call. His website hasn't worked for awhile. Super nice guy. I bought a couple recently.

Did! Rich was a pleasure to talk to. Grabbed 4 of them in case I end up making a few more.

#21 4 years ago

So how much for all the plans to make my own...or just to commission one ha...

#22 4 years ago

Really nice job, thus far.
Looks like your close to having this become a reality.
Following.....

#23 4 years ago

I’ve always wanted one too. Add me to the list right behind John Dayhuff.
Howie

#24 4 years ago

If you are using modern controls, it would be nice to add a way to keep track of the exit of the nickel. The original design allows more than one nickel to be added at one time. This can cause jams that are a pain. If you had to wait for the nickel to exit before adding another you could avoid kids loading it up.

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from ryan1234:

If you are using modern controls, it would be nice to add a way to keep track of the exit of the nickel. The original design allows more than one nickel to be added at one time. This can cause jams that are a pain. If you had to wait for the nickel to exit before adding another you could avoid kids loading it up.

I've already accounted for this. I'll be using a modern coin mech with a lockout coil. Once it detects a game is started/a coin is in there it locks out the coin mech.

Quoted from grantopia:

So how much for all the plans to make my own...or just to commission one ha...

I'm certainly considering offering it as a kit or maybe fully built units, all depending on how much it costs and long it takes to make one. I will revisit this when the project is complete.

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from dudah:

I've already accounted for this. I'll be using a modern coin mech with a lockout coil. Once it detects a game is started/a coin is in there it locks out the coin mech.

I'm certainly considering offering it as a kit or maybe fully built units, all depending on how much it costs and long it takes to make one. I will revisit this when the project is complete.

Please do!

#27 4 years ago

Love this project. I would buy one

#28 4 years ago

Looks like a fun game. Good luck.

#29 4 years ago

Thanks for the kind words so far, all! Makes me so happy to see the warm reception in this community.
Please shoot me a PM if you would be interested in a kit or a complete unit so I can gauge interest and I will assess it after the first unit is complete.

I should note that this unit has been re-designed to accept and flick quarters.
I have a design for a nickel based unit and could program the coin mech to accept them, but figured if this game were ever to earn, I need to bring it into this century.

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from dudah:

I would definitely be interested in a kit containing plans, basic instructions and parts that are not readily sourced.

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

You don't find them in the pinside marketplace or on-line ads for that matter. You need to drive and look for them.

Tell you what, you drive and find and I'll come get them from you and I'll double your money. Deal?

John

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from ryan1234:

That would be an awesome mod to add to the originals as well because your right it's a huge pain.

John

#33 4 years ago

Ok but can wire it up so it makes huge bomb sound effects when you make the 50 points

#34 4 years ago

Wow, you've just added something to my "need to build" list.

#35 4 years ago

I am psyched - good luck and keep us posted. My new favorite thread - much better than the insults and crime stories in the NE for sale thread.

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

Ok but can wire it up so it makes huge bomb sound effects when you make the 50 points

Anything is possible!

I've flirted with the idea of making a different track the coin rides on but shined away from it as there's only so much real estate to play with.
Another idea is swappable playfield with different tracks.

Another idea is a cool modern art package, I like monsters and tits.
I've got a very good idea in my head how this will come together, but always open to ideas and suggestions!

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from dudah:

Yes- you will need a coin lock out- but you will also need switches to tell when a nickel leaves through a drain hole or maybe a switch to detect a nickel before it enters the coin box. Either way it will be worth the effort.

#38 4 years ago

double post

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from dudah:

Anything is possible!
I've flirted with the idea of making a different track the coin rides on but shined away from it as there's only so much real estate to play with.
Another idea is swappable playfield with different tracks.
Another idea is a cool modern art package, I like monsters and tits.
I've got a very good idea in my head how this will come together, but always open to ideas and suggestions!

Considering your costs are so low, might as well entertain swapping playfields! Put in some loop tricks
Don't forget this contemporary version exists: https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=5722
and yours could be way cooler

#40 4 years ago

Got the stencils done in about an hour.
While I love the idea of cool modern graphics, I also like the idea of sticking as close to the original out of the gate.

frontart (resized).JPGfrontart (resized).JPGside art (resized).JPGside art (resized).JPG
#41 4 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

Tell you what, you drive and find and I'll come get them from you and I'll double your money. Deal?
John

I don't work that cheap.

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from dudah:

I like monsters and tits

Some of the best art out there is a combination of these two (three?).

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

Some of the best art out there is a combination of these two (three?).

sexy kaiju

#44 4 years ago
Quoted from dudah:

While I love the idea of cool modern graphics, I also like the idea of sticking as close to the original out of the gate.[quoted image][quoted image]

Very Nice!

#45 4 years ago
Quoted from dudah:

While I love the idea of cool modern graphics, I also like the idea of sticking as close to the original out of the gate.[quoted image][quoted image]

I suggest you cut rigid stencils with the CNC in, e.g., 1/8" hardboard. That will give you a reusable stencil with an authentic overspray look. Don't use vinyl.

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from dudah:

I don't know how close you are trying to stick to the original. In case you are trying to stick close,the lines angle all the way to the top

Inked6fe4e40386f394d5e1dea9ee72a74b83475b58df_LI (resized).jpgInked6fe4e40386f394d5e1dea9ee72a74b83475b58df_LI (resized).jpg
#47 4 years ago

If this took quarters I could see it earning decently on location. The small footprint makes it easy to fit in lots of spaces.

#48 4 years ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

I suggest you cut rigid stencils with the CNC in, e.g., 1/8" hardboard. That will give you a reusable stencil with an authentic overspray look. Don't use vinyl.

That's the plan! I've had great success with my vinyl cutter but also prefer the overspray look and not having to perfectly line the stencils up.

Quoted from edward472:

I don't know how close you are trying to stick to the original. In case you are trying to stick close,the lines angle all the way to the top[quoted image]

Good point! I was up too late working and didn't compare to my reference photos! I will calibrate them.

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from westofrome:

If this took quarters I could see it earning decently on location. The small footprint makes it easy to fit in lots of spaces.

I'd let my Skill Shot go for the right price if anyone is interested. https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=5722

#50 4 years ago

This is so awesome.

When I was a little kid, I regularly spent afternoons tagging along with my Dad as he made the rounds of the local watering holes. Skill roll was my favorite of the few EM games that were still on location(mid 80’s). I spent countless hours dumping nickels into that thing, and only got to the bottom twice! Both times, Myron, the archaistic proprietor, rewarded me with a handful of nickels from the coin box and an orange soda on the house. Not to mention the compliments and cheers from the flys at the bar!

I’ve been obsessed with oddball coin operated EM skill games ever since.. One day I’ll find one of my own. I’ve always thought it’d be great with quarters. I love your idea. Once you get it dialed in, please make kits or a couple extra machines!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
There are 360 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/skill-roll-remake and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.