• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

7BF95A6D-D617-40C2-9573-B62236A6C0A8 (resized).jpeg
skateballswitchmatrix (resized).png
#1 2 years ago

I have some switches that do not work on my Skateball. It appears that an entire row is out because the middle drop targets of the middle and top drop target banks do not register. the “A” rollover and left inlane switches also do not work.

All of these switches were working recently but just stopped. The switches do not show up in the switch test.

I rebuilt the connectors on the MPU. I also swapped out the original MPU board with an Altech board. The switches still don’t work. They worked for a ball or two after the swap then stopped working again. After I switched to the Altech board the saucer and the trough switch started to act up randomly.

I also rebuilt the connectors on the rectifier board and installed a brand new Weebly rectifier board.

What should I look at next? Diodes?

#2 2 years ago

What does it show when you bring up the switch test? Any switches stuck closed? Any switches showing the wrong switch number when activated? Next would be diodes, making sure all were connected and not broken making an intermittent connection. Double check the coin door switches aren't stuck closed or the wire isn't shorting against the coin door.

#3 2 years ago

There were no switches that were stuck on.

I didn’t check to see if any switches registered the wrong number, I will go back and check.

#4 2 years ago

Check for continuity between the pin 10 of connector J2 to each of the orange-white wires on the switch lugs.

If the switches worked for a bit after swapping MPUs I would suspect you might need to repin that J2 connector on the mpu.

#5 2 years ago
skateballswitchmatrix (resized).pngskateballswitchmatrix (resized).png
#6 2 years ago

I just repinned the J2 connector. I will have to double check #10. Maybe I boogered something up.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from Hi-Fi:

I just repinned the J2 connector. I will have to double check #10. Maybe I boogered something up.

Check for continuity to the switches too. My guess since you repinned it if the connector looks good is that a diode on one of those switches failed open and isn't passing voltage through.

#8 2 years ago

Thanks for mentioning the coin door. It turned out to be the easiest solution. The credit switch that someone MacGrubered coming out of the coin door was shorting out against the door.

7BF95A6D-D617-40C2-9573-B62236A6C0A8 (resized).jpeg7BF95A6D-D617-40C2-9573-B62236A6C0A8 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/skateball-switch-matrix-issues?hl=frisbez and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.