Rectifier Board Assembly 3 (resized).jpg
Rectifier Board Assembly 1 (resized).jpg
2X3X4X5X (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
MPU (resized).jpg
Backbox (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

Hey everyone-
Thank you for adding me to the forum. I have a Skateball machine that I have had since it was brand new in 1980. It was played regularly for about 8-10 years at our house growing up. But since then, it been very sporadically played and left dormant for years at a time. My wife and I cleaned out our basement recently and she suggested we get it working again.

So given that she has given me permission, I have been obsessing over the maintenance and repair of my old buddy! I thoroughly cleaned it from top to bottom including the playing surface. I have replaced all the rubber, bumper lights, tightened all the posts, put new acorn nut post caps on the plastics, replaced the plunger springs, end, and clip and finally a new shiny ball. I fired it up and it worked, with a few issues I wanted to ask about here.

Now, I am a novice in the world of pinball and electronic repair in fact this is the only machine I have “worked” and the extent of my “work” is outlined to the above and the occasional replacement of a bulb back in the day.

Here is a list of the items I want to address…

• The upper left flipper skips. It will operate and then jump/jitter while extended.
• The back box does not light up. (See photo) The LED score displays work and a few of the lights work. (The ones that display messages like Game Over, Match and Same Player Shoots Again). However, the Same Player Shoots Again message stays on all the time, even during game play?
• Then there are the light bulbs under the playing surface. I have several that are out, and I want to replace them, but they are darn near impossible get to and access to replace. Is there a tool or an easy way to do this?
• There is some corrosion on the battery on the MPU. (See photo) Do you recommend replacing the MPU? I saw an Alltek Bally/Stern Ultimate MPU online. Thoughts?
• And finally, and this is going to show my novice when it comes to all things electrical… do the fuses need to be replaced as they get old even if things seem to be working?

Thank you all in advance!

Backbox (resized).jpgBackbox (resized).jpgMPU (resized).jpgMPU (resized).jpg
#2 2 years ago

first thing get rid of the leaking battery. follow repair guides.

#3 2 years ago

There is a quite decent amount of battery damage already on that board. You can even see it on the right corner of the board. I would go with this board and it as good as an Alltek and sell the old board. https://nvram.weebly.com/mpu.html
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from Trooper-140:

Then there are the light bulbs under the playing surface. I have several that are out, and I want to replace them, but they are darn near impossible get to and access to replace. Is there a tool or an easy way to do this?

Remove the plastics on the topside of the playfield and you can access them easily.

Quoted from Trooper-140:

And finally, and this is going to show my novice when it comes to all things electrical… do the fuses need to be replaced as they get old even if things seem to be working?

No.

Quoted from Trooper-140:

The back box does not light up.

With power off, inspect the square rectifier board, at the bottom right corner of the backbox. There are 3 connectors to remove to see if there are any burnt connectors.
https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern#General_Illumination_.28GI.29_Problems

Quoted from Trooper-140:

(The ones that display messages like Game Over, Match and Same Player Shoots Again). However, the Same Player Shoots Again message stays on all the time, even during game play?

Section 5.9.3.1 just below the GI section linked above talks about the SCR's that can short and keep featured (insert) lamps stuck on all times.

#5 2 years ago

PinballManiac40 - Thank you the detail is very helpful! I will check out these items tomorrow and report back! On the playfield lights, I am talking about the one you access from underneath the playfield. Sorry for the lack of detail! For example, the 2X, 3X, 4X and 5X lights (See photo), etc. Is it okay to bend the bases they sit in, in order to remove the old bulb? I don't want to damage them. Thanks again! You've been a great help!

2X3X4X5X (resized).jpg2X3X4X5X (resized).jpg
#6 2 years ago

Always good to check the fuses with power off to make sure they are correct! Even customers games that I previously worked on gets rechecked before I do any work.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

Always good to check the fuses with power off to make sure they are correct! Even customers games that I previously worked on gets rechecked before I do any work.

Well, seems it was not worth mentioning in this case.

Quoted from Trooper-140:

I have a Skateball machine that I have had since it was brand new in 1980.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from Trooper-140:

Is it okay to bend the bases they sit in, in order to remove the old bulb?

Yes, you can bend them. You mentioned Same player shoots again was always stuck on and that was what the 5.9.3.2 section is about-repairing the lamp board.

#9 2 years ago

With power off, inspect the square rectifier board, at the bottom right corner of the backbox. There are 3 connectors to remove to see if there are any burnt connectors.
https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern#General_Illumination_.28GI.29_Problems

PinballManiac40 - You nailed it! Fried connector!!! I've got a new MPU and Rectifier Board Assembly with new connectors on the way!

In the meantime, I am going to replace all the light bulbs beneath the playfield and test the for the defective SCR, buffer amplifier or integrated circuit on the lamp driver module.

After that it should be up and running like new.

Thanks again!

Rectifier Board Assembly 1 (resized).jpgRectifier Board Assembly 1 (resized).jpgRectifier Board Assembly 3 (resized).jpgRectifier Board Assembly 3 (resized).jpgRectifier Board Assembly 2 (resized).jpgRectifier Board Assembly 2 (resized).jpg
#10 2 years ago

An IDC connector at the rectifier board? Looks like someone replaced that connector at some point. Haven't seen too many of those burn up in home use. I would recommend going back to the stock Molex connector instead of the IDC connector when you replace it.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from BrianBannon:

An IDC connector at the rectifier board? Looks like someone replaced that connector at some point. Haven't seen too many of those burn up in home use. I would recommend going back to the stock Molex connector instead of the IDC connector when you replace it.

I agree go back to original molex style. Use trifurcon contacts for 1,2,6,10,11 Replace the header pins.

#12 2 years ago

Congrats on being an original owner and keeping this game alive for 40+ years. As soon as I started reading I mumbled to myself, original battery!
Since your game is still working it might be worth an attempt to restore the original board(s) rather than replace with an Alltech or B&I board. To service the original MPU you will need to immediately remove the battery and mitigate the damage by cleaning with a mix of baking soda and vinegar. (lots of other home brew cleaning solutions out there besides mine). Order an NVRAM chip to replace U8 on the MPU eliminating the need for batteries forever.
If your board does not survive surgery both Alltech and B&I (Weebly) offer quality replacements.

The other issue is the power supply connectors are burned out. That is normal for Bally games of this vintage. I have been ordering kits from Big Daddy which include keys. Getting a connector key wrong or leaving out could be death to your game. You will need a proper crimping tool and should practice with it before beginning the repining. Do this one wire at a time. Then compare to the schematic wiring guide.

Good luck. -Al-

#13 2 years ago

PinballManiac40 BrianBannon greatwichjohn BigAl56

Is this transformer okay? It looks like it should be replaced to me, but like I said earlier. I have no electrical background. Can these be replaced? It still works... at least it did before I took it out when was I working on replacing the rectifier board.

1 (resized).jpg1 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg
#14 2 years ago

No the transformer looks ok. Only replace if a melt down or has other serious problems.

#15 2 years ago

PinballManiac40 BrianBannon greatwichjohn BigAl56

Great news everyone! It's up and running great!!! Thank you for all your help and knowledge!

I have three minor things to address...

* I have two lights ("same shooter shoots again" on the back box, and the "2" bonus on the playing field stay on all the time... which I believe is a defective SCR, buffer amplifier or integrated circuit on the lamp driver module. Still need to figure out how to check that.

* The upper left flipper skips. It will operate and then jump/jitter while extended. Not sure where to begin here?

* And I have two lights on under the playing field that do not light. I need to replace bulbs again, clean the sockets and then replace if needed.

Glad to be workin' the flippers again! Thanks again!

Trooper-140

a (resized).jpga (resized).jpg
#16 2 years ago

Don't bend those old lamp socket brackets back & forth too many times or the metal will fatigue and they'll snap off at the bend.

#17 2 years ago

Congrats. It is looking good so far.

Quoted from Trooper-140:

And I have two lights on under the playing field that do not light. I need to replace bulbs again, clean the sockets and then replace if needed.

You can jumper from a working insert lamp to a non working insert lamp. If it does not light, then it is a bulb or socket issue. If it lights, issue is in the backbox, SCR, board connector, or wired pin issue.

#18 2 years ago

If you are so inclined, you can replace those Bally lamp sockets with new LED strips in various colors to eliminate those sockets, so called "Yoppsickles".
You can read more about them in this area:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/all-praise-be-to-the-yoppsicle-

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from Dent00:

If you are so inclined, you can replace those Bally lamp sockets with new LED strips in various colors to eliminate those sockets, so called "Yoppsickles".
You can read more about them in this area:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/all-praise-be-to-the-yoppsicle-

Dent00 Thanks for the advice! I spent enough for now. If the bulbs begin to go out, I might be able to convince the wife to let me spend a little more on it.

#20 2 years ago

Your upper left flipper issue sounds like a broken hold winding in the flipper coil. I would replace the coil.

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from BrianBannon:

Your upper left flipper issue sounds like a broken hold winding in the flipper coil. I would replace the coil.

BrianBannon Ordered the coil yesterday... should be here by Friday. Thanks.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 10.00
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/skateball-repair-questions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.