• 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by ezed123
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

9E54F13A-2DEB-4DAE-894F-9F66B672A48B (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ezed123.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

Hi all. New problem with my continuing saga of reviving a Bally Skateball. I thought I would start a new post to isolate this issue. Game is booting up and I can start a game. In switch test, game won’t go past switch 11 which shows as stuck. That is the middle coin which doesn’t exist. Wiring is there and connected correctly as if a switch were present but it won’t go past 11 on the switch test. In game play I can manually check switches.

Now coil test:
2 doesn’t fire (knocker)
3 doesn’t fire (saucer)
10 & 11 won’t fire (both of the 3 drop target banks)

Boards are new Alltek MPU, new Alltek SDB, Bally light board and new Xpin rectifier. Also new Weebly sound board.
I do not blow any fuses. Carefully double checked all wires going to each coil (as per list sent to me by @quench) and all are connected correctly at coils and at connectors in backbox. All switch wires are connected correctly at switches and on connectors in backbox. All wires tone out from backbox to playfield.

I can get every coil to fire by grounding at the coil on the signal wire. All coils test fine with proper ohms.

When I activate switch on right sling, both the right pop bumper and left sling fire. Checked all the diodes at the switches along the yellow red wires which are in line on the switch matrix. Clipped a couple of caps on the pops. I’m ready to pull my hair out.

What can I try next? I’ll be at this machine all day today so I need direction please. Quench or BigAl56 i know you guys are great at this stuff. Please help!

Thanks! Ed

9E54F13A-2DEB-4DAE-894F-9F66B672A48B (resized).jpeg9E54F13A-2DEB-4DAE-894F-9F66B672A48B (resized).jpeg
#4 1 year ago

SOLVED!
OK guys thanks so much great advice on everything. Quench and @BigAl56. the switch problem was the coin door wiring was wired together for middle coin so that is what was causing switch 11 problem. Once I cleared that switch I found several other stuck switches which is now remedied and I have a 0 on switch test.

Regarding the coil issue. I did repin ALL connectors in the back box right from the start because many were literally cut off to rob the connector. Others that remained looked horrible so they were done.

However in re-pinning I inadvertently had the blue red (21) wire interchanged with the blue orange (27) wire on J4 of the driver board. From the wiring being 40 years old they both looked the same (red faded to orange) so when I toned out the J4 mpu to J4 SDB I found the error. That fixed the solenoid problem. My bad.

Thanks again so much for pointing me in the right direction. I always appreciate you all.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ezed123.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/skateball-coils-dont-fire-or-incorrect-and-switch-problem-?tu=ezed123 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.