playfield (resized).jpg
stencil (resized).jpg
game (resized).jpg
skateball instructions watermarked (resized).png
skateball credits watermarked (resized).png
SoftSettings_modBW.png
ScoreLevels_modBW.png
Screen Shot 2023-11-01 at 8.09.18 am (resized).png
Bally_1980_Skateball_Manual.pdf (PDF preview)
There are 582 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 12.
#401 3 years ago
Quoted from Newhollend2:

My skateball started acting funny tonight, when hitting the flippers it will sometimes tilt and restart the game or reset and move to the next ball. Anyone have any ideas?

Check your end of stroke switches. You can desolder one of the wires on one EOS then power on the game and hit both flippers. If it still resets repeat on the other side.

#402 3 years ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

Check your end of stroke switches. You can desolder one of the wires on one EOS then power on the game and hit both flippers. If it still resets repeat on the other side.

Thanks for the information, ill give it a try tonight. If that stops the issue what is the fix?

#403 3 years ago

What would you guys say the value on a Skateball with a CPR Silver playfield already installed, new plastics, perfect original backglass, and decent, but not restored cabinet would go for nowadays?

#404 3 years ago
Quoted from Newhollend2:

Thanks for the information, ill give it a try tonight. If that stops the issue what is the fix?

You certainly don't need to un-solder anything to check this. Slide a business card between the EOS switch contacts to keep them from making.

#405 3 years ago
Quoted from John_In_WI:

You certainly don't need to un-solder anything to check this. Slide a business card between the EOS switch contacts to keep them from making.

Good call! Thanks! So if I put the card in the contacts and it disrupts the connect the coils should stay in high power correct?

#406 3 years ago
Quoted from Newhollend2:

Good call! Thanks! So if I put the card in the contacts and it disrupts the connect the coils should stay in high power correct?

No, they'll never go to high power.

#407 3 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

What would you guys say the value on a Skateball with a CPR Silver playfield already installed, new plastics, perfect original backglass, and decent, but not restored cabinet would go for nowadays?

These days much closer to 3k than 2k would be my guess.

#408 3 years ago

My Skateball coils just stopped working today. Only did a cursory look at things. Fuses seemed fine. Any thoughts? No trough eject, slings or pops right now

#409 3 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

My Skateball coils just stopped working today. Only did a cursory look at things. Fuses seemed fine. Any thoughts? No trough eject, slings or pops right now

Check the under playfield fuse next to the flipper mechs - it's a 1 amp slow blow and fuses all playfield coils *after* the flippers.

#410 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Check the under playfield fuse next to the flipper mechs - it's a 1 amp slow blow and fuses all playfield coils *after* the flippers.

That was it. Thanks.

1 week later
#411 3 years ago

I’m trying to find info on how to light the spinner. Could someone please point me in the right direction. Thanks.

#412 3 years ago
Quoted from Nhpolarbear:

I’m trying to find info on how to light the spinner. Could someone please point me in the right direction. Thanks.

A & B rollovers, essentially the inlanes on Skateball.

#413 3 years ago

Thanks Tommy. Maybe I have a bulb out. Time to investigate.

#414 3 years ago

Tommy. Did you ever get an answer to your value question?

#415 3 years ago
Quoted from Nhpolarbear:

Tommy. Did you ever get an answer to your value question?

Roughly $3500 it seems which sounded about right to me. I ended up not needing to sell it fortunately at this time, but it is at the bottom of my list of Bally's right now. The game is so pretty, but the rules need to be re-written, or at least modified to make the BALL Saucer reset after each collect regardless of current value.

1 month later
#416 3 years ago

Can anyone post a picture of their ball trough switch? I bought a game in pieces and have it all back together but the trough switch doesn't seem to line up correctly with the outhole. It is just a regular leaf switch. Is there something I might be missing?

#417 3 years ago
Quoted from frisbez:

Can anyone post a picture of their ball trough switch? I bought a game in pieces and have it all back together but the trough switch doesn't seem to line up correctly with the outhole. It is just a regular leaf switch. Is there something I might be missing?

Actuator and a bracket. Hope this helps.

330F51D3-5211-4954-B4E7-26BCDBB698A9 (resized).jpeg330F51D3-5211-4954-B4E7-26BCDBB698A9 (resized).jpeg
#418 3 years ago

One more straight on

BA40F492-AF8E-4E54-9708-97FA1340448D (resized).jpegBA40F492-AF8E-4E54-9708-97FA1340448D (resized).jpeg
#419 3 years ago
Quoted from Beemus:

One more straight on
[quoted image]

Perfect. Thank you. I'm totally missing the rollover wire assembly.

2 weeks later
#420 3 years ago

I don't know if this has ever been mentioned here before, but originally Skateball had a very different playfield. A friend of mine had told me that many years ago and I had never seen anything about that. Thanks to the IPDB, we now have a pic of it. I love how the game turned out , but would have loved to play the other playfield layout and ruleset. I am curious to hear some of your opinions of this other playfield.

skateball (resized).pngskateball (resized).png

#421 3 years ago
Quoted from out_of_order:

I don't know if this has ever been mentioned here before, but originally Skateball had a very different playfield. A friend of mine had told me that many years ago and I had never seen anything about that. Thanks to the IPDB, we now have a pic of it. I love how the game turned out , but would have loved to play the other playfield layout and ruleset. I am curious to hear some of your opinions of this other playfield.
[quoted image]

Looks like a boring 2 flipper with a nudging though pops upper playfield that is just wasted space imo. Glad this isnt what we got. (Though i dont own any games yet with the big center drain pop up....)

#422 3 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Looks like a boring 2 flipper with a nudging though pops upper playfield that is just wasted space imo. Glad this isnt what we got. (Though i dont own any games yet with the big center drain pop up....)

I agree...
I think it would lend itself better as an EM pinball.
The layout screams EM.
It almost looks like a CCD style game.

#423 3 years ago

Glad they went with the production PF. That bottom end is one of the best ever imo.

#424 3 years ago

Very cool piece. I agree that it looks like an EM playfield. I wonder who the designer is? I think it would be fun in its own regard as an EM game. Definitely not to replace the Skateball that we know and love, but as it's own machine.

#425 3 years ago

The story of this playfield is on IPDB: Thanks to out_of_order for the heads up.

https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=3237

#426 3 years ago

Just finished a pf swap. No way on earth would I have done that with the original pf design.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#427 3 years ago

Mine turned out a little different than stock!!

tftc skateball 007 (resized).JPGtftc skateball 007 (resized).JPG
1 week later
#428 3 years ago

Interested in buying a nice Skateball.

1 week later
#429 3 years ago

I’ve joined the club. Not sure if I’ve played it at all but it looks good.

Yesterday I was browsing FB Marketplace and saw an ad for a $40 machine that had just gone up. Thought it would be a tabletop game - no, a Skateball! I inquired right away. Seller said it wasn’t working but I was the first interested person. The second offered $100 which I agreed to match. Picked it up a couple hours later (it was only a few miles away). Didn’t bother to try it until I got it set up at my place. Plugged it in - nothing. Turned on the switch-it starts right up. Played a game the best I could with broken rubbers.

It has some playfield wear and broken/missing plastics but after a shop job it should be a decent machine.

022C66A5-02E1-40F6-83E4-403FA0C1BF27 (resized).jpeg022C66A5-02E1-40F6-83E4-403FA0C1BF27 (resized).jpeg211AFCFC-87A1-4D56-9F5E-99728DFBDDB7 (resized).jpeg211AFCFC-87A1-4D56-9F5E-99728DFBDDB7 (resized).jpeg304EC105-937D-4BD1-AB32-6655C9D2908D (resized).jpeg304EC105-937D-4BD1-AB32-6655C9D2908D (resized).jpeg7508E103-0A64-4488-BEB3-749D99663CDB (resized).jpeg7508E103-0A64-4488-BEB3-749D99663CDB (resized).jpeg
#430 3 years ago

$100?

Crazy. Amazing.

Look at that glass! What an awesome score.

#431 3 years ago
Quoted from schwism:

I’ve joined the club. Not sure if I’ve played it at all but it looks good.
Yesterday I was browsing FB Marketplace and saw an ad for a $40 machine that had just gone up. Thought it would be a tabletop game - no, a Skateball! I inquired right away. Seller said it wasn’t working but I was the first interested person. The second offered $100 which I agreed to match. Picked it up a couple hours later (it was only a few miles away). Didn’t bother to try it until I got it set up at my place. Plugged it in - nothing. Turned on the switch-it starts right up. Played a game the best I could with broken rubbers.
It has some playfield wear and broken/missing plastics but after a shop job it should be a decent machine.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Awesome pickup! $100? WTG!

#432 3 years ago

You got a bargain. Enjoy it!

#433 3 years ago

Thanks. I’ve thrown on a few new rings so I could play it and it seems to be playing fine. The center drop target in the middle bank is broken but everything else seems okay.

Interestingly the manual says nothing about playfield pitch. Is 6 degrees reasonable?

I need to replace the battery. Some leakage which I’ll need to clean up.

Looking into free play options. Doesn’t look like this can be done with dip switches.

Needs cleaning but there’s a decent playfield under the dirt.

07C21362-C22E-40A1-A84E-0C6ACFA2B353 (resized).jpeg07C21362-C22E-40A1-A84E-0C6ACFA2B353 (resized).jpeg
#434 3 years ago
Quoted from schwism:

Thanks. I’ve thrown on a few new rings so I could play it and it seems to be playing fine. The center drop target in the middle bank is broken but everything else seems okay.
Interestingly the manual says nothing about playfield pitch. Is 6 degrees reasonable?
I need to replace the battery. Some leakage which I’ll need to clean up.
Looking into free play options. Doesn’t look like this can be done with dip switches.
Needs cleaning but there’s a decent playfield under the dirt.
[quoted image]

No free play on these games unless you've got an altec board installed, change the dip switches to give 15 credits per coin and load it up to 40 credits.

6.5 degrees is typical, but I jack mine up in the back to make it play fast. Too floaty and these games are snoozefests imo.

The battery should be clipped off and replaced with an offboard AA battery holder or better yet, NVRAM. Just plug and play with these games. Use hydrochloric acid toilet bowl cleaner and a toothbrush to scrub off any corrosion, then wash it with a bit of water and some 90% isopropyl alcohol. Make sure it's completely dry.

#435 3 years ago

Set your Free Play / Free Credit Award to something attainable in under 3 Balls and you shouldn't have to reload credits much at all.

#436 3 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

No free play on these games unless you've got an altec board installed, change the dip switches to give 15 credits per coin and load it up to 40 credits.
6.5 degrees is typical, but I jack mine up in the back to make it play fast. Too floaty and these games are snoozefests imo.
The battery should be clipped off and replaced with an offboard AA battery holder or better yet, NVRAM. Just plug and play with these games. Use hydrochloric acid toilet bowl cleaner and a toothbrush to scrub off any corrosion, then wash it with a bit of water and some 90% isopropyl alcohol. Make sure it's completely dry.

Thanks for the tips. I did order a battery board from TNT which will get me to a safer and longer lasting CR2032 battery. I’ll clean it up and I think I’ll be okay.

FDFA38FB-C7C3-4D77-BB1E-39ADE406F61D (resized).jpegFDFA38FB-C7C3-4D77-BB1E-39ADE406F61D (resized).jpeg
#437 3 years ago
Quoted from schwism:

Thanks for the tips. I did order a battery board from TNT which will get me to a safer and longer lasting CR2032 battery. I’ll clean it up and I think I’ll be okay. [quoted image]

Yeah, clip that battery off ASAP if you haven't already. A coin battery will do fine, but I always go with NVRAM since the board is socketed to easily accept the replacement. Maybe for next time

2 months later
#438 3 years ago

Still looking to buy a nice Skateball!

#439 3 years ago

Sad to say I’m leaving the club. My plan was to get the game fixed up and keep it for a while but I got an offer I could not refuse from someone in South Carolina.

The game got shipped out Tuesday. I’ll miss it.

1 week later
#440 3 years ago
Quoted from MVCO:

Best thing to do is post a wanted ad. Someone may want to part ways with their machine. I like mine too much to sell it

#441 3 years ago

I’ve been playing mine quite a bit and needed to tighten the upper flipper. Then decided to replace some rubbers and give it a good wax. I discovered two chips in the play field. Can someone direct me to a clear brand in a rattle can. Have seen posts about it but can’t seem to locate. Thanks.

#442 3 years ago
Quoted from MVCO:

Is this one nice enough for you???

tftc skateball 005 (resized).JPGtftc skateball 005 (resized).JPGtftc skateball 009 (resized).JPGtftc skateball 009 (resized).JPG
#443 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballOrphanage:

Is this one nice enough for you???[quoted image][quoted image]

I joined the club! Found one up in Canada. Super stoked about it arriving

#444 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballOrphanage:

Is this one nice enough for you???[quoted image][quoted image]

Its nice but i prefer that minty HUO look

20210116_174629 (resized).jpg20210116_174629 (resized).jpg20210116_182309 (resized).jpg20210116_182309 (resized).jpg20210116_183811 (resized).jpg20210116_183811 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#445 2 years ago

Mid-Swap on my Skateball and am noticing that there are a few holes missing on the CPR PF. The Upper hole for the Orbit Rail is not there, nor id the hole for the post that protects it. Also, the Clear Post to the left of the Center (lower) Pop is not there...

Anyone got a few tips for drilling these? Never had to locate and drill holes on a new PF before. Thanks!

#446 2 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

Mid-Swap on my Skateball and am noticing that there are a few holes missing on the CPR PF. The Upper hole for the Orbit Rail is not there, nor id the hole for the post that protects it. Also, the Clear Post to the left of the Center (lower) Pop is not there...
Anyone got a few tips for drilling these? Never had to locate and drill holes on a new PF before. Thanks!

I'd back check the measurements of the holes in the original area with those around it and if they all are the same, mark where the hole should be and drill the hole.

#447 2 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

I used this post to do my playfield swap:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joust-cpr-playfield-swap-process-and-tips#post-5019799

Most Bally screws used on posts are #6 wood screws to my knowledge.

Just take your time. Double check all the dimples against your old playfield and don’t be afraid to mock up posts and plastics, assemblies, side rails, etc. this will save you from a potential headache if the dimples are not lined up.

#448 2 years ago

Thanks. Lotta good tips there.

Can anyone tell me the size of the Ball Guide / Rail that sits above the left flipper? Basically the inlane guide. It's a short one.

One of the few little parts that were missing on my project machine...would prefer to just buy one rather than fabricate one as it is the only rail I need.

#449 2 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

Thanks. Lotta good tips there.
Can anyone tell me the size of the Ball Guide / Rail that sits above the left flipper? Basically the inlane guide. It's a short one.
One of the few little parts that were missing on my project machine...would prefer to just buy one rather than fabricate one as it is the only rail I need.

1 1/4”

#450 2 years ago

Thanks Pinflip!

Ordered up with a kit to make my own in the future...already paying for the shipping on just the rail.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 582 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 12.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/skateball-club-fans-welcome/page/9?hl=vec-tor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.