playfield (resized).jpg
stencil (resized).jpg
game (resized).jpg
skateball instructions watermarked (resized).png
skateball credits watermarked (resized).png
SoftSettings_modBW.png
ScoreLevels_modBW.png
Screen Shot 2023-11-01 at 8.09.18 am (resized).png
Bally_1980_Skateball_Manual.pdf (PDF preview)
There are 582 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 12.
#251 6 years ago

Did a restore project a few years ago. Let me dig up the pics and send what I have. Prepare for a tsunami. I'll send them later today.

#252 6 years ago

The blues are darker, but it looks fine to me. More like real LA beach water. I’m pretty sure the nice tan on your playfield is due to aging of the lacquer - my C37 has the same bronzed beauties. It might have been better if CPR had stained the wood a little before silkscreening, but this is still miles better than my original. I can’t wait to get started on my swap.

Quoted from o-din:

Wow! I was just comparing those pics of the CPR to my NOS Bally playfield and they didn't quite nail it, did they? Or it's just the lighting.
Funny, the original playfield that came out of my machine was the one they used as a model.

#253 6 years ago

Not sure what the story is behind these being released, however, silver and bronze playfields from the previous run were listed for sale on CPR site the other day. Read the fine print about the playfields and the discounted plastics. Wanted to share the info. http://www.classicplayfields.com/store-playfields.html

#254 6 years ago

Still would like to join the club. If anyone is looking to sell that is localish, let me know. Or if you know someone that knows someone etc.

#255 6 years ago
Quoted from Capinball:

Not sure what the story is behind these being released, however, silver and bronze playfields from the previous run were listed for sale on CPR site the other day. Read the fine print about the playfields and the discounted plastics. Wanted to share the info. http://www.classicplayfields.com/store-playfields.html

I don't think they had many GOLDS in the latest run. I was in within a day of the announced run and I received a silver. The other 3 titles I got golds signing up around the same time. Not complaining...the alternative is worse.

#256 6 years ago

I'm just guessing, but I know some people weren't thrilled with the skateball playfields so maybe they are selling some that were returned perhaps. I'm a former club member who has recognized the error of my ways and looking to get back in so anyone who is wanting an exit just let me know.

#257 6 years ago

Weren't all the CPR skateballs sold out at one time?

#258 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Weren't all the CPR skateballs sold out at one time?

This is why I suspect that several may have been returned.

#259 6 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I’m pretty sure the nice tan on your playfield is due to aging of the lacquer - my C37 has the same bronzed beauties.

Not quite. Those ladies on C-37 are butt ugly.

#260 6 years ago

They had a lot of issues in the purple for some reason. Working on a bronze swap right now for a client and it has lines of missing purple, some splotches where it is darker, etc. Something about that ink did not do well in this run.

#261 6 years ago

It's really too bad about the paint issues (color, bleeding, missing lines), since this was one of the most anticipated runs from CPR. I know I signed up several years before they were run, and I still got a Silver. Disappointing, but still a new smooth playfield.

#262 6 years ago
Quoted from ViolinSteve:

It's really too bad about the paint issues (color, bleeding, missing lines), since this was one of the most anticipated runs from CPR. I know I signed up several years before they were run, and I still got a Silver.

I guess that makes my HSA cleared NOS Bally pure Platinum.

2 weeks later
#263 6 years ago

My CPR silver Skateball arrived in the mail today and is very nice! i dont have a clue what people are complaining about... Some minor darker spots in the grain of the pf on the translucent purple and maybe green... very minor and looks great!

Very happy with it and I am uber critical with an eye for detail.

Now they just need to make me a Barracora!

#264 6 years ago

Agreed. The way they were underselling it and people saying it wasn't good, I wasn't expecting to be that happy. I think it looks great and it's dimpled unlike the Whirlwind I have from them and this silver came out better than the WW gold that I have, quality wise.

IMG_0770 (resized).JPGIMG_0770 (resized).JPG

#265 6 years ago

+1. Happy with mine

CFC44076-7D9C-4926-BF01-212ABE7020C8 (resized).jpegCFC44076-7D9C-4926-BF01-212ABE7020C8 (resized).jpeg

#266 6 years ago

Since I’m still a wage slave, I have prioritize my playfield swaps. I really want to do Skateball next week while I’m on vacation, but Mata Hari needs it much more. For now Skateball will hang over the head, where I can admire it and get “inspiration” from the waves.

#267 6 years ago

Sweet collection swampfire.. I want your job!

#268 6 years ago
Quoted from RumRunner9:

Sweet collection swampfire.. I want your job!

Thanks man, I started 20 years ago so that helped.

#269 6 years ago

Love this pin.

B76384A1-10E4-42C2-91E8-A5987B69F3F6 (resized).jpegB76384A1-10E4-42C2-91E8-A5987B69F3F6 (resized).jpeg

6E1DD72D-76FF-4C89-8CD3-C99504BE21FB (resized).jpeg6E1DD72D-76FF-4C89-8CD3-C99504BE21FB (resized).jpeg

1 week later
#270 6 years ago

Hey everyone
I’m new to pinside, as well as owning a skateball. It was my first pin I picked up, about 4 months ago. It’s a players condition pin, but works great and is lots of fun.

9355EC62-8869-4813-9592-5A217CA51E66 (resized).jpeg9355EC62-8869-4813-9592-5A217CA51E66 (resized).jpeg

12E06A50-E101-47C9-9E8C-731DB4DEEEAA (resized).jpeg12E06A50-E101-47C9-9E8C-731DB4DEEEAA (resized).jpeg

#271 6 years ago

Welcome to the club sixtyfourbits. Nice looking machine you got there.

#272 6 years ago
Quoted from Captive_Ball:

Welcome to the club sixtyfourbits. Nice looking machine you got there.

Thanks Captive_Ball. It’s far from perfect, but pretty decent.
Mechanically it works and plays perfectly. The backglass is mint too.
The cabinet and playfield have some scuffs, but overall I can’t complain.

1 week later
#273 6 years ago

Out with the old
IMG_2778 (resized).JPGIMG_2778 (resized).JPG
....and in with the new
IMG_2779 (resized).JPGIMG_2779 (resized).JPG

#274 6 years ago

Did you double-mylar them first?
-mof

#275 6 years ago

Uhhh...no. Please do tell.

1 month later
#277 5 years ago

What do you think the value is of a Skateball with a new CPR playfield, new cab stencil, new etc.? Basically one that has been completely redone and is in tip top, super shiny, pristine condition?

#278 5 years ago

I’ll have about $3500 USD into mine when it’s done . (keeping the original back-glass)

#279 5 years ago

So what is value of a full restoration?

#280 5 years ago
Quoted from Bugsy:

What do you think the value is of a Skateball with a new CPR playfield, new cab stencil, new etc.? Basically one that has been completely redone and is in tip top, super shiny, pristine condition?

Are you the buyer or seller?

I'd put parts at $2750 +/- ...Labor fee is totally up to the eye of the laborer...

I'd want to buy at $2500 tops when someone needs to sell.
I'd want to sell at $3500 minimum (If I had the work into it). $4500 would be much preferred.

-mof

#281 5 years ago

$4500 - $4800 is for nice full up restoration

Cabinet repainted
New PF additional CC
Everything rebuild or replaced
New plastics
Flipper rebuild
New flipper switches
New legs
Led /lamp driver board
New rectifier board
Perfect BG
New Apron
Connectors repined
Rebuild coin door
Rebuild displays
Rebuild sound card
All solder joints redone
New lamp sockets
Metal leg protectors

To do a full up restoration is not cheap

#282 5 years ago
Quoted from Madmax541:

To do a full up restoration is not cheap

You're right in that a full restoration is not cheap, but I don't see Skateball getting that kind of price. I've seen Fathom restorations go for around that price, but Skateball just isn't that kind of collector game (at least in my opinion, and I love Skateball and wish it was a highly sought after game such as Fathom or Centaur.) I feel like $3k would be about right but this is why I brought up the question in the first place. I just don't really know a good ball park range for this game.

#283 5 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Are you the buyer or seller?

Seller. Picked up a Skateball pretty cheap but the playfield is terrible. A previous owner tried to touch up all the wear on the playfield and it looks terrible. Plus after he painted it he put mylar all over it. So doing a playfield restoration, although possible, would be extremely difficult. I'd be better off with a CPR.

2 weeks later
#284 5 years ago

hey there, going through a PF swap for a SB project and i was wondering if there was a source for a spinner decal or if someone had a nice scan of it to make my own? I could not seem to find it from the usual places?

Thanks!

#285 5 years ago

In same boat w PF swap looks king for decal

1 week later
#286 5 years ago

does anyone have a medium to hi-res photo of the back of the backglass?

3 months later
#287 5 years ago

Anybody know how many bulb sockets total in the game? How many feet of ground braid would i need for a playfield swap?

#288 5 years ago
Quoted from Lysurgeon:

Anybody know how many bulb sockets total in the game? How many feet of ground braid would i need for a playfield swap?

Cheddar should be able to answer, he is wrapping up a swap.

2 weeks later
#289 5 years ago

just got a refurbished MPU and DLed the roms from ipdb. Had to rejumper the board to support the 2716/2716/2732 roms but the right combination is not on Pinwiki, the ROMs pack readme has the combination below, is that right? my board isn't booting now...

AS-2518-35 MPU jumpers: 1-5
2-4
7-8
10-12
11-25
13A-14
16A-29
31-32
33-35

#290 5 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

just got a refurbished MPU and DLed the roms from ipdb. Had to rejumper the board... my board isn't booting now...

Jumper settings look ok.
Does the MPU LED flicker / flash on powerup and if yes how many times?

#291 5 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Jumper settings look ok.
Does the MPU LED flicker / flash on powerup and if yes how many times?

thanks, i got 2 flash and following pinwiki, i changed the 5101 ram chip and it worked!

1 week later
#292 5 years ago

Well guys i'm back in the club. picked one up this morning. its got playfield wear but a great backglass & good cab. It works just needs a flipper switch for the left button.

first game I owned twice. only one I regretted getting rid of. its sitting in the back of my truck, now if work could go by quicker.

5 months later
#293 4 years ago

Pulled a timtim and rejoined the club yesterday, very happy!

1 month later
#294 4 years ago

joined the club yesterday
was in a guys basement since 1987 or so he claimed. He had a high score paper in it with scores from 1991, so atleast that long in his house. Said he hadnt turned it on in 10 years til he decided to sell it cause they are planning on moving.

MPU battery was showing signs of corrosion but did not leak onto the boards as far as I can tell. I clipped it right away. backglass is like a 9.9/10
mylar held up well, pretty dirty but will clean up real nice. little wear in the left orbit area but thats about it.

missing the plastic behind the front 3 drop bank. we will see if I can source one or not

20190607_220444 (resized).jpg20190607_220444 (resized).jpg

#295 4 years ago

Plastics were done by Cpr so should be able to source a used one?

1 week later
#296 4 years ago

Back in the club!

2EA49046-4A4D-4097-8DAC-63BB302B90A2 (resized).jpeg2EA49046-4A4D-4097-8DAC-63BB302B90A2 (resized).jpeg
#297 4 years ago

anyone know what size rubber is need for the upper left mini flipper? is it just a normal 1" rubber or is it thinner than a normal 1" ring?

#298 4 years ago

hmm, so i put an nvram in my skateball board. had been using an altec while waiting for the nvram to come in.

i set everything up on the dipswitches the way I want it but after I hit the first switch it awards an extra ball...

no idea where this is on the settings... any advice?

#299 4 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

hmm, so i put an nvram in my skateball board. had been using an altec while waiting for the nvram to come in.
i set everything up on the dipswitches the way I want it but after I hit the first switch it awards an extra ball...
no idea where this is on the settings... any advice?

You'll need to adjust your extra ball settings.

#300 4 years ago
Quoted from John_In_WI:

You'll need to adjust your extra ball settings.

I went thru the manual and any dipswitch setting with extra ball i have on conservative... is it a menu option thru the game settings instead of dip switches? I am at work but I'll pull up a pdf of the manual and see what I can find.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

There are 582 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 12.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/skateball-club-fans-welcome/page/6?hl=vec-tor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.