Topic Stats

• 341 posts
  • 78 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by Tsskinne
  • Topic is favorited by 29 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 98 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

ExtraBall_Skateball.gif
ca2cbdefcf7e1355224a488950ed48e23de2b2bb (resized).jpg
bde8d1728c3d8691dbb9d188afb1bd84c0181d6b (resized).jpg
f414afda32e161722ec411c5b95cc917990648c6 (resized).jpg
tftc skateball 010 (resized).JPG
tftc skateball 007 (resized).JPG
tftc skateball 008 (resized).JPG
tftc skateball 005 (resized).JPG
2EA49046-4A4D-4097-8DAC-63BB302B90A2 (resized).jpeg
20190607_220444 (resized).jpg
IMG_2779 (resized).JPG
IMG_2778 (resized).JPG
12E06A50-E101-47C9-9E8C-731DB4DEEEAA (resized).jpeg
9355EC62-8869-4813-9592-5A217CA51E66 (resized).jpeg
6E1DD72D-76FF-4C89-8CD3-C99504BE21FB (resized).jpeg
B76384A1-10E4-42C2-91E8-A5987B69F3F6 (resized).jpeg

There are 341 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.
#51 4 years ago

Couple pics of my restore

20160216_123927_(resized).jpg

20160217_200012_(resized).jpg

20160216_115703_(resized).jpg

#52 4 years ago
Quoted from albummydavis:

Just joined yesterday. Man, I love day 1 mylar. The only wear is in the left orbit. The bottom half of the pf is beyond belief. And the seller did a great job with LEDs in all inserts. Just incredibly bright, but honest to the original appearance.
Now I just need to figure out what I did to kill the sound during the move and reassembly.

IMG_0776.jpgIMG_0779.jpg

In the photos you posted, It looks like you have custom Skateball rule/game cards? Where did those come from?

#53 4 years ago
Quoted from tdiddy:

Nice work!

If anyone needs to make decals for a restore, I've vectorized all of the inserts in this game. Feel free to PM me.

#54 4 years ago
Quoted from tdiddy:

20160216_123927_(resized).jpg20160217_200012_(resized).jpg20160216_115703_(resized).jpg

Great job! I assume that you didn't have Mylar originally?

I am considering stripping mine.

#55 4 years ago

No mylar, so I needed to bust out the airbrush and clear coat

#56 4 years ago
Quoted from tdiddy:

No mylar, so I needed to bust out the airbrush and clear coat

Just an Amazing job!!!!!!

#57 4 years ago

has anyone removed the mylar on one of these games? good or bad results? I would like to reset all of my inserts and do a good clearcoat.

#58 4 years ago

I'd like to restore my playfield, but I am not that skilled at this point

#59 4 years ago

I'm happy to wait for the CPR playfields to come out.

#60 4 years ago

Where are those skateballs for sale in northern california?

#61 4 years ago
Quoted from tdiddy:

How did you handle all of the half tone gradients on this game?

#62 4 years ago

The halftone was fixed through shading with airbrush, my playfield no longer has any halftones, it's all fade

20160203_150935_(resized).jpg

#63 4 years ago

CPR just listed Skateball on the preorder list!

http://www.classicplayfields.com/order.html

#64 4 years ago

Just sent my preorder email. Let's hope there's lots of love for the best layout of all time.

#65 4 years ago

I'm on the list. Been hoping for this one for a while!

C'mon all you Skateballers and let's push this one to the "closed" status ASAP.

#66 4 years ago

I finally joined the club! Got a nice example with a perfect backglass and nice cabinet. The playfield has some wear, but I don't think I'll have any trouble restoring it.

image_(resized).jpeg

#67 4 years ago

That playfield doesn't look bad at all. My skater looks like he's holding a big turkey leg.

#68 4 years ago

Looks like CPR is making repro playfields. Collecting pre orders now.

#69 4 years ago

Decisions decisions... Touchup and clear my current playfield for free or buy the CPR and do the swap?
Maybe I should get moving on it to see how it turns out before preorder spots fill up..

#70 4 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

Decisions decisions... Touchup and clear my current playfield for free or buy the CPR and do the swap?
Maybe I should get moving on it to see how it turns out before preorder spots fill up..

CPR typically has extra after the pre orders. They have Gold silver for quality and they always have some silver. Meaning there is a slight defect that is almost impossible to find without knowing.

#71 4 years ago

Im in the club. Needs lots of love but I'll get to it at some point. Needs a new cpu and every mech gone through. I got it with 2 other games for $600. So I figured $200 a peice.

20160120_133218_(resized).jpg

#72 4 years ago

Starting the cabinet

20160224_174914_(resized).jpg

20160224_175700_(resized).jpg

20160224_185400_(resized).jpg

#73 4 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

You know you want that sweet sweet CPR playfield.

#74 4 years ago

I'm not bad at touchup and clearing. Plus, I don't have to take everything off the bottom of the playfield.

#75 4 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

You know you want that sweet sweet CPR playfield.

Nothing like a new playfield. Of 25 machines I owned I have never seen a new PF till my MMR and its a site to behold.
With the purple and graphics and clearcoat a CPR SB playfield is probably awesome!

#76 4 years ago

I'm working on fixing some wiring hacks on my Skateball and I have a question about the 24 pin (6x4 .062) square connector that hooks up the lamp panel to the backbox wiring harness. The wiring schematic only shows 23 pins connected with pin 24 being open. My game has all 24 pins used. On my game this is a wire that was obviously cut and spliced so I'm trying to figure out what's up. By the way, this wire is going from pin 24 to the connector on the MPU (don't have the schematic in front of me but it's the 28 pin one).

If anyone has a picture of the wires going into this connector or confirmation that all 24 pins are used that'd be great.

#77 4 years ago
Quoted from tdiddy:

Starting the cabinet

20160224_174914_(resized).jpg20160224_175700_(resized).jpg20160224_185400_(resized).jpg

Is that a pneumatic sander you have? I would love to see a picture. what grit do you use? and about how long does it take to strip down?

My other option is to build a whole new cabinet.

#78 4 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

Is that a pneumatic sander you have? I would love to see a picture. what grit do you use? and about how long does it take to strip down?
My other option is to build a whole new cabinet.

I've had good luck just using paint stripper for the majority of paint removal with an orbital sander for the final clean up. It was surprisingly fast (and not as dusty).

#79 4 years ago
Quoted from GSones:

I've had good luck just using paint stripper for the majority of paint removal

I use stripper a lot. I hate sanding.

Quoted from GSones:

I'm working on fixing some wiring hacks on my Skateball and I have a question about the 24 pin (6x4 .062) square connector that hooks up the lamp panel to the backbox wiring harness. The wiring schematic only shows 23 pins connected with pin 24 being open. My game has all 24 pins used. On my game this is a wire that was obviously cut and spliced so I'm trying to figure out what's up. By the way, this wire is going from pin 24 to the connector on the MPU (don't have the schematic in front of me but it's the 28 pin one).

Mine is not used. It gives me an idea though, I've ordered an Alltech lamp driver board and need to connect the Ill. bus to the board. I might use that spare pin for that wire.

1 week later
#80 4 years ago

So CPR has filled the preorder list already.

#81 4 years ago

Getting close

IMG_20160306_114559_(resized).jpg

20160308_105429_(resized).jpg

#82 4 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

So CPR has closed the preorder list already.

Yes, already in "the pipe"...CNC cutting now

#83 4 years ago

Does CPR send a confirmation email?
It would be good to get something back, saying "yes, you're on the list"...
This would be my first playfield from them, so I don't know the process.

#84 4 years ago

I put in on several preorders when they became available 3 weeks ago....and got a confirmation email back on all of them within minutes to confirm they received my request and I was on the list

#85 4 years ago

Thanks! I just went to my sent mail and replied to ask for a confirmation.

#86 4 years ago

I gotta scrape some money together for this playfield. I was expecting it to take longer!

#87 4 years ago
Quoted from iron00monkey:

I gotta scrape some money together for this playfield. I was expecting it to take longer!

Can I take that Mystic off your hands?

#88 4 years ago

Haha, I'm on the list for that one too!

#89 4 years ago

This has got to be some sort of record for quickly closing out the pre-order. Way to go fellow Skateballers. I can't wait to get my grubby mitts on this one.

#90 4 years ago

I'm so bummed to have missed the window on this one. I was hoping my 2013 commitment would still be good for something, but I emailed Kevin and he said they're no longer considering these.

Standby list for now...

#91 4 years ago

Aw man, there's gotta be one available for you.

I thought the old list was good too, but decided to email again.

#92 4 years ago
Quoted from erichill:

I'm so bummed to have missed the window on this one. I was hoping my 2013 commitment would still be good for something, but I emailed Kevin and he said they're no longer considering these.
Standby list for now...

I think the new list was open only about ten days, I am pretty disappointed too.

#93 4 years ago

It would be really nice if CPR did a mailing list. I only check Pinside once or twice a week so oftentimes their announcements have already been buried by other forum chatter by the time I log on.

#94 4 years ago

Look at this mess.
Anyone mind taking some good pictures of the wiring for the rectifier board? I have a new Pinhead one going in along with all new Altek boards. If anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

20160309_161631_(resized).jpg

#95 4 years ago

Rules explanation and gameplay vid I did for the PAPA guys before Bowen a tutorial -

#96 4 years ago
Quoted from rottenrobert1313:

Look at this mess.
Anyone mind taking some good pictures of the wiring for the rectifier board? I have a new Pinhead one going in along with all new Altek boards. If anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

That's some serious hacking going on there. You'll need to get the wiring schematic and learn how to decipher it.

This is the best pic I have available at work. Maybe it'll help a bit...

skateball_backbox_(resized).JPG

#97 4 years ago
Quoted from erichill:

It would be really nice if CPR did a mailing list. I only check Pinside once or twice a week so oftentimes their announcements have already been buried by other forum chatter by the time I log on.

Yep, you should've had a better chance at getting one. I was shocked to see it move forward so fast.

#98 4 years ago
Quoted from GSones:

That's some serious hacking going on there. You'll need to get the wiring schematic and learn how to decipher it.
This is the best pic I have available at work. Maybe it'll help a bit...

skateball_backbox_(resized).JPG

I have the schematic but it doesn't tell me what color wire goes where. That picture helps but need pictures of each connector that show the colors. I'd appreciate it.

#99 4 years ago

Look at this mess.

mine has some of the same stuff going on, I am swapping my rectifier board out with the one made by GPE

This picture isn't very good I'll try for some tomarrow

DSC05552_(resized).JPG

#100 4 years ago

I have the schematic but it doesn't tell me what color wire goes where. That picture helps but need pictures of each connector that show the colors. I'd appreciate it.

Based on the "repair" to the board I'd be careful about just going based on wire colors alone. Who knows what kind of repairs / hacks have been done over the years. Here's some details from the Skateball Wiring Schematic that may help you sort out what's going on. I highlighted one pin just to demonstrate how to decipher the code. I'd grab a volt meter and run down each wire one at a time just to be sure.

Skateball_Power_Supply_connector_diagram_(resized).jpg

Skateball_Wire_Color_Code_(resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Huntington Beach, CA
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
€ 3.95
Flipper Parts
Multigame
$ 44.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 9.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
There are 341 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside