Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by BigAl56
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

Hi group,

My Skateball all of a sudden developed (2) very strange problems at the same time. The first problem is that when the center target on the target bank in the middle of the playfield is hit, it causes end of ball. Second problem is, When the left inlane switch is activated, the left most thumber bumper is activated... both problems happen every time. Anyone have any idea what could cause these problems??

#2 5 years ago

Switch wired wrong, diode on backwards, a short to switch wiring.

That's my first thought.

LTG : )

#3 5 years ago

I think I may have a short to switch wiring somewhere as I did a playfield swap on this game about 5 months ago, and it had been working fine until recently. LTG, does that seem to make sense? the other 2 scenerios would have occurred right off the bat, right?

#4 5 years ago

Coin door switches perhaps....

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from Blenderhead:

I think I may have a short to switch wiring somewhere as I did a playfield swap on this game about 5 months ago

I'd check things balls could hit, where wires could be pinched or worn, things along the edges of the underside of the playfield. And coin door harness and wiring, could have a short inside a harness you can't see.

#6 5 years ago

Shorted disc cap(s) is my guess. They randomly short closed all the time.

Go in to switch test to see what switch(es) are showing closed that should not be closed. (All switches should be open with the ball removed in switch test)...

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

Shorted disc cap(s) is my guess. They randomly short closed all the time.

Is that one of the caps on one of the switches, the tiny ones?

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

. (All switches should be open with the ball removed in switch test)...

...and drop targets all up.

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from Blenderhead:

Is that one of the caps on one of the switches, the tiny ones?

Yes, also on the pop's switches. For example, if the switch test shows #15 is on and that particular switch is open, clip that disc capacitor and re-test. Continue until no more switches are showing closed. Obviously, you will need the manual to identify the switch ID #'s for the play field.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I'd check things balls could hit, where wires could be pinched or worn, things along the edges of the underside of the playfield. And coin door harness and wiring, could have a short inside a harness you can't see.

Quoted from DNO:

...and drop targets all up.

Quoted from snyper2099:

Yes, also on the pop's switches. For example, if the switch test shows #15 is on and that particular switch is open, clip that disc capacitor and re-test. Continue until no more switches are showing closed. Obviously, you will need the manual to identify the switch ID #'s for the play field.

Thanks guys, I now know how to go about testing and troubleshooting after work today...much appreciated! I will comment on this thread when fixed

#11 5 years ago

Well I got home and went through a switch test and visual inspection on areas based on symtoms and switch test results. First it showed switch 11, then 16, now..17. What the heck? Switch 17 is indicated as "4 rebounds and 3 target bank". The center target of the 3 target bank would cause an end of ball when the target is hit. I clipped the cap on that switch, and all 4 rebounds, but I still get a switch 17 error. Should I clip the other 2 caps on the 3 target bank assy?

#12 5 years ago

I would unplug the switch wires on the MPU to rule out the MPU.

Once you are certain it’s the playfield, plug switch harness back in on the MPU and discover which of the 17’s is closed. You may have to disconnect one of each switch wire to determine this. It’s a very arduous task.

There is probably a rebound switch behind the 3 target bank. Also, I would check if there is a disc cap on the outhole switch.

Look at switch 11 and 16. Confirm the caps are not shorted and the switch gaps are proper.

The switch numbers displayed are not indicating an error, just that the switch is closed.

#13 5 years ago

This sounds like a switch matrix issue. Most of the time these are caused by stuck coin switches. Start a game and unplug the coin door. If the problems go away you have shorted wiring or stuck coin switches.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/skateball-center-target-causes-end-of-ball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.