• Latest reply 6 years ago by RoyGBev
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180223_163729_resized (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Just got a Skateball that has a bit of water damage to the backbox. Probably the reason the bg paint is about to start coming off. Luckily it appears no pieces are missing yet (see pic). But from the front it has that separated look in large sections.

I'm thinking I'll try to remove that nasty brown stuff at upper left, at least in the translucent part. Then blast it with three coats of Triple Thick, then use plastic wrap and weights to keep the peeling parts down while it dries.

The metal bracket is on stuck on pretty well and I don't want to try removing it. Slight rust but I'll try to polish or paint it.

I'll accept that it will always have that separated look, but if I can keep all the paint there I'll consider it a success.

Anyone have different advice?

20180223_163729_resized (resized).jpg20180223_163729_resized (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

I did triple thick years ago. I mostly just used contact cement for glass to adhere the ink down. You will still get a shadow, but it will keep it stable. Bally ink was thicker than most of the other manufacturers. I would press it flat, & weight it down. When dry I would flow over the cracks, & after dried use a black sharpie to hide the cracks if needed (do a little to see if your happy). I know lots of operators, & techs that would just spray paint the back a color over missing ink. Mostly on Gottlieb, Williams, & Stern glass.

#3 6 years ago

Thanks for the input. Update: The brown stains are more noticeable in real life than in the pic. I tried gently using naptha, then Goo Gone, then Goof Off. Nothing. Then I tried Novus 2 and that got it right off. Cleaned all the translucent areas except where it's separated and cracked. Noticeably whiter, hopefully will make it slightly brighter when lit up. I don't think I removed any significant amount of white paint.

I took the pic right after I brought in indoors from the car. As I wrote about it, it started peeling and cracking more and more. It's 55 degrees and raining, and I guess the change in humidity got it going. So I worked fast: Put it out on the deck and sprayed it thick, used plastic wrap and heavy books on it. I think I got it nice and flat, will let it dry 24 hours, then assess it again.

#4 6 years ago

Another update: After spraying the glass and using the books and plastic wrap as described in the previous post, the repaired area looked good. But another section then decided to crack and come up off the glass. So I fixed that section, again another 24 hrs to dry, and while that was drying two more very large sections started coming up. Finally this morning I decided to fix it one more time. I was lowering the third of three large pieces of plastic wrap when it stuck too early and moved a piece out of place. I tried to carefully move it back but that messed another part up.

At that point I'd had enough. To those with player condition Skateballs with no glass at all, I apologize. But in my view the thing was so riddled with paint cracks it wasn't even a good wall hanging. I got a bit of satisfaction seeing it shatter against the wall of the dumpster.

#5 6 years ago

A good learning experience. I did a number of repairs with contact cement, & I have seen others use plastic wrap after spraying. What ever you feel more confidence in doing.

#7 6 years ago

I have a Stern Big Game on order from them. Hopefully will be nice. And I found another original Skateball glass.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/skateball-backglass-advice-wanted and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.