• Latest reply 3 years ago by Newbee
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Zeros (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

Had an issue awhile ago with my SMDM booting to zeros, turned out it was switch 31 which took care of the issue. Now it is doing it again but switch 31 isn't the issue. If I remove J-2 on the MPU it boots but doesn't play of course. Any ideas ?

#2 3 years ago

I don't understand what booting to zeros means?

So your mpu boots fine, flicker of LED then 7 flashes of the LED?

Have you tried a switch test via the front door?

#3 3 years ago

At this point test switch is inoperable and nothing works, flashes seven time, you hear the flipper switch operate and then just before full boot all zeros on the displays.

Zeros (resized).jpgZeros (resized).jpg
#4 3 years ago

Reseat both left MPU connectors and both Right driver board connectors. If there is any improvement at all, I would change these 4 header connectors on the boards and repin these 4 wired connectors.

#5 3 years ago

so in attract mode do the zero's go off then back on with the high score to date?

or it doesn't go into attract mode?

maybe the audit switch is faulty?

guessing you have checked all the soldering of the header pins on all boards and reseated all the connectors, checked fuses and test point voltages?

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from Newbee:

If I remove J-2 on the MPU it boots but doesn't play of course. Any ideas ?

The DIP switches on the MPU board are part of the overall games "switch matrix".
MPU DIP switch 31 shares a signal with playfield switches.
MPU J2 is the switch harness connector to the playfield.
So if disconnecting J2 resolves the problem of the game booting to 000000 audit mode, then you have a short circuit on that signal somewhere on the playfield which as a side effect causes game to think DIP switch 31 is ON - hence the player audit boot mode.
Did this problem occur straight after you were playing around under the playfield?

The DIP switch 31 signal is shared on J2 at pin 14, it's a brown-white wire that runs to the playfield and connects to the following switches:
1) Weighted tilt switch near the flipper mechs.
2) Left outlane switch
3) Middle zero "0" standup target switch
4) Right pop bumper switch

Very carefully inspect these switches for an accidental short to something that shouldn't be.

#7 3 years ago

Quench, thanks for the advice, I will check and yes it was after playing and something funky was happening on the playfield. So i will check all the wiring for a short. I will make it my weekend fun as I am working till then.

#8 3 years ago

Quench

You were exactly right, I removed the brown and white wire from J2 and the machine booted correctly. Traced to find the short and found that the tilt switch under the play field was covered in black metallic dust shorting out the rectifier, used a paint brush to clean all connections under the playfield after that but booted and worked perfectly. This was a basket case I bought a year and a half ago from a barn find and small stuff sneaks up every now and then and this one perplexed me not having much experience with Bally early solid state. THANK-YOU

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Huntington Beach, CA
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
2,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Ana, CA
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/six-million-dollar-man-won-t-boot-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.