(Topic ID: 201107)

Six Million Dollar Man Player Six Display. We Can Rebuild it!

By stuntmatt

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Cheddar
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BallyColorCode (resized).png
6MDMWD (resized).png
IMG_4907 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

Hi Folks.
Welp, I can't get my player six display to work. I've owned the game for a few years and it's never worked to my knowledge.
Here's what I've done so far...
1. I swapped in a display from another game. It worked for a bit, but then after unplugging, replugging, restarting, it no longer worked.
2. I plugged the display that wasn't working into another game and it worked fine
3. Now when I swap in good displays from other machines, they don't work in the six player position of the 6MDM
4. I thought I might have a bad/broken wire in the connector, so I carefully removed the wires from the connector and inspected them. Didn't see anything wrong so I plugged them back in BUT...
5. I may have mixed up the wires. So, first thing... can anyone post a picture of the wires in their player 6 display connector. I think I have it right, but I need to confirm (see attached picture). Also, I scraped away the wire insulation on the brown wire to see if it was broke—looked weird. I'll fix that before I'm done
6. After fiddling with plugging the connector in, out, half in, squeezing it, finessing it, swearing at it, I could get it to flash on, or illuminate for a bit with the wrong numbers showing and them pulsing at different intervals than the rest of the displays.

Any ideas?
Thanks for your help,

Matt.

IMG_4907 (resized).JPGIMG_4907 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

page 49 of the manual has the wiring diagram and shows the wire colors: http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/2165/Bally_1978_The_Six_Million_Dollar_Man_Manual.pdf

I would start with a full recrimp of that connector. Some of the crimps may be broken off inside as well.

Since the display worked in another machine/position it is likely this is the problemwiringwiringcolorscolors

Notice pin 15 has a different color for each display. I believe that is the display selector.

#3 6 years ago

The displays are daisy chained together so if there is a break in a cable other displays would be out.
First make sure you are getting power. You will need both 190 and 5v on the display test points.
Once you verify the display has power focus on pin 15. That's the pin that caries the display enable signal. For the 6 player game a special enablement was made. Pin 15 on the display , 57 wire should return to J4 on the MPU pin 8. If that wire is somehow off then player 6 will not come on.

#4 6 years ago

Thanks for the help. Looks like I have the wires in the right place in the connector. I'll spend some time with it tonight tracing the wire to J4. I'm guessing I'll find the problem up stream. I'll let you know what I find.

#5 6 years ago

take a look inside the connector and make sure the connector isn't broken. The flat blade will snap off and not make a good connection. You can shine a flashlight in and see if it's broken pretty easily.

#6 6 years ago

Welp... it works now. I don't know the science behind the fix, but I "fiddled" a bit more with the connector to make sure all of the wires were seated properly and then swapped the display with another one from the machine. Now both displays work. I ain't complaining. I played all six players and the displays worked fine. BUT... I noticed that the bonus triangle of lights weren't lighting up during test or play. I ended up just pulling the connectors out and reseating them to the board in the cabinet. Started working fine. I have a couple of lights that are out, but other than that, it's 100% functional now. Thanks for all of your help. Matt.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from stuntmatt:

Welp... it works now. I don't know the science behind the fix, but I "fiddled" a bit more with the connector to make sure all of the wires were seated properly and then swapped the display with another one from the machine. Now both displays work. I ain't complaining. I played all six players and the displays worked fine. BUT... I noticed that the bonus triangle of lights weren't lighting up during test or play. I ended up just pulling the connectors out and reseating them to the board in the cabinet. Started working fine. I have a couple of lights that are out, but other than that, it's 100% functional now. Thanks for all of your help. Matt.

It's likely this will happen again unfortunately.

Early bally/stern connectors fail all the time. It has nothing to do with battery damage a lot of the time. I've seen people shove toothpicks into connectors to make a better connection. Ultimately you need to recrimp them.

On any old bally you get you are likely to have to recrimp the display, cabinet and switch connectors on the mpu, several lamp connectors (ugh, so many little pins), the power connectors on the rectifier board and the power connector and flipper connectors on the solenoid driver.

If you were local (Nor Cal) I'd come over and help to get a chance to play some 6MDM.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

2,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Ana, CA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Huntington Beach, CA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/six-million-dollar-man-player-six-display-we-can-rebuild-it and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.