7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by wschaub
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shapeshifter.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 7 years ago

Generally 50's woodrails inserts sink as opposed to being cupped.

And usually from this era they do come out with hair dryer and gentle pressure from underneath.

Then a small bit of wood glue and to level and job done.

And put an object on top of insert while it dries as they can rise slightly on drying.

Don't recommend epoxy as if you make an error it can look awful.

The enemy of good is better!

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from wschaub:

Otaku - Thanks for the feedback.
I am OK with the white skirts as they have been that way for at least 48 years, maybe more. The skirts from the lower bumpers were chipped so I have already replaced them with new white ones from Pinball Resource. Being brand new they are far brighter than the bodies and the skirts from the upper bumpers. I could buy new red and blue skirts but I'm guessing I'd be in for new tops and bodies to keep the colors matching and be headed down the road of a factory fresh rebuild.
I was not planning to clear-coat the playfield after talking to Steve at Pinball Resource and reading a post on Pin Repair (I think) on how the play-ability of woodrails is affected due to the more slippery surface and lower angle compared to newer machines.

Replacing skirts with new repros works ok and they go ok with original caps.

Don't replace original caps if they are good as they are marbled and impossible to replicate.

Nice to have repro pop bumper caps but original marbled caps are in another league!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shapeshifter.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sittin-pretty-restoration-skirts-and-inserts-questions?tu=shapeshifter and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.