Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 174 posts
  • 80 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by robin
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pb2.png
    pinside_bug.jpg
    Screenshot 2014-07-08 14.08.01.png
    Screenshot 2014-07-08 14.05.40.png
    pinside1970.png
    image-869.jpg
    pinside_bug.png
    There are 174 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
    #51 10 years ago

Loving the changes! You ROCK!

#52 10 years ago
    Quoted from BigB:

Loving the changes! You ROCK!

+1

#53 10 years ago

You have a passion for software Robin...that's apparent.
    We are the lucky beneficiaries of that passion. Awesome!

PS...I'd still like to see direct access to mail, even when I don't have any new messages.
    --
    Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
    http://www.Team-EM.com
    http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
    http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

#54 10 years ago

Changes are great, thank you!

#55 10 years ago

Just ran into an odd little bug.
    When I edited one of my own posts, the "Edited" caption note appeared as "Edited by Moderator". I was able to change the label before finishing the edit, but that should probably come up as "Edited by Poster", or something.

Anyhoo..............

Thanks for continuing to improve the site.

#56 10 years ago

...and I'm donating again.
    Thanks, Robin. Loving the new updates.

#57 10 years ago

I just posted a thread about a potential bug on the search page - all returned topics are listed as 'not read yet' - when I know I've read most of them.

#58 10 years ago

Thanks for reporting those bugs. I'm not near a computer but will work on these issues as soon as I can! I know it seems like a bit of poor planning to release this update and then not be near a computer for some days but honestly I didn't expect mayor issues because I have been testing this stuff for weeks. Grrr, software development...

#59 10 years ago

Here's a silly one... If you click on the new posts indicator a little too close to the middle, it will turn the post indicator gray, but go to the subforum next to it instead of the thread.

#60 10 years ago

Can you make the rest of the forum (or at least the front page) like the stickies where you have the option to only show posts with unread or new replies. I have been asking for that for a long time and it would make things so much easier.

#61 10 years ago

The changes are great other than the new autoloading feature was causing my Android Dolphin browser to not be able to load the forum on some occasions. I disabled autoload and all seems to be working well again.

#62 10 years ago

Awesome changes. Thanks Robin!

#63 10 years ago
    Quoted from Patofnaud:

Robin, any thoughts into making the 'search' engine better?

Are you sure you are using the form correctly, the search has been tweaked a couple of months back and should work much better than it used to. Have you tried the search tips in the blue box to the right of the search form?

Quoted from RonB:

I have one request for contacting other members, is there a way to have a contact list? Or possibly make it a one-or-two click process to send a pm?

I realize this is needed and will see what I can do.

Quoted from sysprog:

It looks like every time I enter the site, the forums that I have 'unchecked' show up in the list. If I check them, then uncheck them again, the posts go away. But they always seem to be there when I come back in.

Fixed!

Quoted from Richthofen:

Any thoughts on open-sourcing the forum's code? Or selling it?

Never thought about that, no

Quoted from RCA1:

When I edited one of my own posts, the "Edited" caption note appeared as "Edited by Moderator". I was able to change the label before finishing the edit, but that should probably come up as "Edited by Poster", or something.

Thanks for noticing. Fixed!

Quoted from ChrisHibler:

I'd still like to see direct access to mail, even when I don't have any new messages.

Changed this. You will now always see the little envelope icon next to your user name for quick access to your PinsideMail box

Quoted from MikeS:

The changes are great other than the new autoloading feature was causing my Android Dolphin browser to not be able to load the forum on some occasions.

Hmm, I will have to look into that. Does anyone else notice issues with autoscrolling feature on mobile phones?

Quoted from pinball_keefer:

If you click on the new posts indicator a little too close to the middle, it will turn the post indicator gray

Just to be clear, you mean the green box with the number in it, on the right of the topic title?
    What do you mean with "a little too close to the middle?" And on which browser?

Quoted from BoJo:

Can you make the rest of the forum (or at least the front page) like the stickies where you have the option to only show posts with unread or new replies.

Hmm, this could be done with a view on the new views page. Something like "visited topics with new posts".

#64 10 years ago

Robin, I just went to the donate page it almost looks like they are commas ($10,00) instead of periods ($10.00). I like all the new updates great work as usual the new mailbox is my favorite.

-Rock

#65 10 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Changed this. You will now always see the little envelope icon next to your user name for quick access to your PinsideMail box

Love this. Now that you made the new messages indication really obvious there shouldn't be any confusion too.

#66 10 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Love this. Now that you made the new messages indication really obvious there shouldn't be any confusion too.

It's actually kinda annoying, I wish it could be an option to turn it off. Now I constantly think I have a message when I pop open pinside

#67 10 years ago

LOVE the changes. Especially under the "my activity" section... the ability to see new messages under only the topics you have already viewed is great. Nice work!

#68 10 years ago
    Quoted from jrivelli:

It's actually kinda annoying, I wish it could be an option to turn it off. Now I constantly think I have a message when I pop open pinside

I love it!
    If you don't have the bouncing icon....you don't have mail.

--

#69 10 years ago

It looks like the unchecked forums bug is fixed only for the first page of posts. It seems to be broken for page 2 and beyond.

#70 10 years ago

Sticking to basic words and nothing fancy here . . . Pinside is the most beautiful forum page layout I've ever seen! LOVE IT!
    Mike in Kentucky

#71 10 years ago

Definitely works a lot better with Android phones now. Thanks!

#72 10 years ago

Something for the future, perhaps...
    ...I'd love to be able to select text, and quote it on iDevices, like my iPad.
    --

#73 10 years ago
    Quoted from ChrisHibler:

I'd love to be able to select text, and quote it on iDevices, like my iPad.

Agreed!

Derek

#74 10 years ago

Request; the stickies logic seems to be broken. If I view a sticky topic and refresh the page it still shows me the topic. I have to close the page and reopen it for it to not be there anymore. Furthermore, clicking the three dots to show all stickies on the forum home page only shows me five stickies and I'm not sure what logic is being used to show
    me the five that are there. It should show me all the stickies across the entire site.

Otherwise, really liking this update!

viperrwk

#75 10 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Definitely works a lot better with Android phones now. Thanks!

Thanks for letting me know. I did some bugfixing specifically for Android phones. Finally have one of those available for doing site testing.

The most annoying Android bug was the dynamic text sizing feature which has been fixed with a stylesheet hack (gotta love that there's no official way to circumvent this behavior in Android Chrome).

Quoted from stevevt:

It looks like the unchecked forums bug is fixed only for the first page of posts. It seems to be broken for page 2 and beyond.

Yes you are correct, this still needs fixing - hopefully soon!

Quoted from ChrisHibler:

Something for the future, perhaps...
    ...I'd love to be able to select text, and quote it on iDevices, like my iPad.

Note the "quote" link atop each post, specifically there for mobile devices where mouse selection is not possible.

Quoted from viperrwk:

Request; the stickies logic seems to be broken. If I view a sticky topic and refresh the page it still shows me the topic. I have to close the page and reopen it for it to not be there anymore. Furthermore, clicking the three dots to show all stickies on the forum home page only shows me five stickies and I'm not sure what logic is being used to show
    me the five that are there. It should show me all the stickies across the entire site.
    Otherwise, really liking this update!
    viperrwk

Sticky logic has had some changes: stickies are only visible if they have new new posts since your last visit. But we now also include sticky posts in the "main" topics list of the front page. In other words they will now appear in both these lists.

Note that the front page stickies are a very special kind of sticky and only some topics get that status, so seeing only 5 stickies when opening the front page stickies via the three dotted link is correct.

Lastly, I can confirm an issue with "remembering" topics you visited and this also affects the showing or hiding of stickies. This will hopefully be fixed soon!

#76 10 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Note that the front page stickies are a very special kind of sticky and only some topics get that status, so seeing only 5 stickies when opening the front page stickies via the three dotted link is correct.

The problem with this is that I either have to remember which part of the site a particular sticky that hasn't received front page status is stuck to or try to find it with search or troll through the subforums which defeats the purpose of the sticky.

And without exposing the logic behind what stickys are "special kinds of stickys" makes it appear to users like me that the logic is "broken."

But hey, this is a minor quip. Like I said, overall really like the update.

viperrwk

#77 10 years ago

Not like my personal opinion will matter here, but its not specifically a bug. I am just not a fan of the icon for mail appearing in the top right of the screen when I have no mail. I really liked having an Icon only when I have new unread mail in my inbox.

#78 10 years ago

The site has been working much better on my Android phone (Dolphin Browser) the past few days. I was having intermittent problems last week but they seem to have gone away possibly due to the changes that were made.

#79 10 years ago
    Quoted from Gundam_Pilot_:

Not like my personal opinion will matter here, but its not specifically a bug. I am just not a fan of the icon for mail appearing in the top right of the screen when I have no mail. I really liked having an Icon only when I have new unread mail in my inbox.

I feel the same way. It seems like an invitation for someone to come up to the computer when I walk away for a few seconds and click and look at the old messages.

#80 10 years ago

agree. super minor issue, though.

#81 10 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

I feel the same way. It seems like an invitation for someone to come up to the computer when I walk away for a few seconds and click and look at the old messages.

They're much more likely to troll post using your account than read your boring pinball messages don't you think?

#82 10 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

They're much more likely to troll post using your account than read your boring pinball messages don't you think?

Not if it is my wife snooping.

#83 10 years ago

When searching the forums as of this morning:

Error: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused)

#84 10 years ago

I can understand both arguments. I think a user setting would fix this problem.

#85 10 years ago

Unable to search as well.
    Something broke

#86 10 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Are you sure you are using the form correctly, the search has been tweaked a couple of months back and should work much better than it used to. Have you tried the search tips in the blue box to the right of the search form?

I will look deeper into this Robin. Thanks in advance.

Something to think about, any possibility of making the Maintenance Logs exportable?

For those of us who use that feature of My Collection religiously, this may be a nice addition when selling a game, much like when you have maint records when you sell a car.

#87 10 years ago

I believe so
    Returns

#88 10 years ago

There is number beside the mail icon that shows the number of new messages, so if it's zero then you have no new mail.

#89 10 years ago

I've now noticed that sometimes new posts don't show up on my iPhone when I make them. I have to refresh. Only the post background appears

#90 10 years ago

Also a very minor issue. I have an unconscious habit of selecting while I'm reading it. That brings up the "Quote selected text" popup, which is a great feature. Hmm... It seems better now. Was going to complain that there was no way to get rid of it without a page reload, but it looks like today selecting other text deletes the previous pop-up. When I was trying this a few days ago I ended up with a page full of those boxes!

So no real complaint any more, except some day you might want to add a close box to the "Quote selected text" popup so it's easier to make go away if it accidentally appears...

#91 10 years ago
    Quoted from DocRotCod:

When searching the forums as of this morning:

I am also still experiencing this same error, seems the search function got broken, hopefully it will be fixed soon.

Phil

#92 10 years ago

The search broke due to an unexpected server reboot, I have restarted the search daemon and it should now work again. I'm doing this from an iPad, so I can't really do an analysis of what happened but most important thing is it's up again.

#93 10 years ago

Yep, I can confirm it is now working for me, thanks Robin!!

#94 10 years ago

Cool, Sphinx search server.

#95 10 years ago

I love the new 'activities' views... especially the one for threads you've viewed. This is Extremely helpful and speaks exactly to how I browse the site.

One question tho - what's the story in how things are sorted on these pages? Could we get these views sorted with who has the most recent posts?

#96 10 years ago

Thank you for the updates!

#97 10 years ago

In chrome on iOS - when typing a private message the user floating tile gets attached to the text box blocking the text you were typing it doesn't seem to do this when typing forum post though

#98 10 years ago

I wish I would have read this before publicly criticizing a moderator for sending out the new violation notices. oops, live and learn!

#99 10 years ago

IPAD2 can only see the front page, the next page autoloader doesnt work fyi

There are 174 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/site-update-february-2014/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.