5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 174 posts
  • 80 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by robin
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pb2.png
    pinside_bug.jpg
    Screenshot 2014-07-08 14.08.01.png
    Screenshot 2014-07-08 14.05.40.png
    pinside1970.png
    image-869.jpg
    pinside_bug.png

There are 174 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 5 years ago

Today I have pushed an update to the server which I have been working on for the past two months. A lot of the changes will not be visible but they streamline the way the server runs and should also cut down on our bandwidth cost.

You will notice some visual changes on the front page. Most notably the subforum icons are now round: they're balls! Pinballs! You will also notice a new type of "new topic" icon: the hollow star. A hollow star indicates a newly started topic (in the last 24 hours that is).

Scroll down the forum front page. Keep scrolling, and scrolling, and scrolling! Today adds auto-loading topic pages. A huge improvement from the old "paged" navigation. This setting is adjustable in your settings but default to auto-loading. Hope you like that.

Now, click on the activity tab. You will get a new screen with "views". There's your posts, your topics, topics you viewed, topics you fav'ed. Etc. All of them auto-loading. I think it's pretty powerful stuff.

I have done away with the !! icon above each post, it has been replaced with the word "report" and clicking it will open a little form that will help you report a Pinside rules violation to the moderator team. The team have access to a dashboard that lists all reported violations and the times a post was reported. They can quickly jump to the post in question and, when they see it actually breaks our community rules, they can act on it.

Ban votes have been retired for now. I have replaced this with a new system called "Pinside rules violation notices". A mouthful but it should help the moderators with their work and aid them in making consistent calls. Rules violation notices are basically warning messages from the moderators when you break one of our community rules. These messages will clearly inform you which post of yours has broken which rule. It may include a remark from the moderator and will tell you the consequences of the violation.

Thread ejects are one of the consequences for breaking Pinside rules. E.g. when you start back and forth bickering with another member. Or when you pull a topic off-topic. Or when you troll a topic with a comment that adds little value to the thread. So basically they are a "light" punishment for common offenses on Pinside. A thread eject can be for 2 hours, 24 hours or forever. That's up to the moderators. But it's a less heavy tool than the ban votes used to be (but should hopefully prove to be more effective in keeping topics on track).

Another tool we really needed was a way to contact the moderator team. As you probably know by now, publicly criticizing the moderators is not allowed. You are welcome to discuss issues in private and that used to mean PM'ing the moderator in question, or another moderator or even PM'ing me. Today we add the Moderator feedback sub-forum which allows you to discuss matters in private. Anything posted in this sub-forum is only visible to the topic starter (you) and to the moderators and me (robin).

You've got mail! One of the most requested features returns: the bouncing envelope! If you have new PinsideMail messages since the last time you checked that page, then you will get a nice bouncy notification in the top right of the screen.

And lots and lots of bugfixes...

#2 5 years ago

I really like what you did on the activities page and bringing the bouncing envelope back.. Keep up the good work.

#3 5 years ago

Excellent Stuff!!!!!

Thanks so much for a great resource!
    faz

#4 5 years ago

OOooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

I gave you a thumbs up for the post and I saw your Karma instantly scroll forward.

Fun!
    faz

#5 5 years ago

Thanks for taking the time to do this.

#6 5 years ago

Shouldn't this be stickied?

#7 5 years ago

Robin, am I missing it or is the "Topics Started By You" no longer? I see the "Topics in which you posted" but not the option to filter by the topics for which I started??? THANKS!

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from KoolFingers:

Shouldn't this be stickied?

Yes, you're right, thanks.

By the way, that's another feature: stickied topics will now show both in the sticky section but also in the "normal" topics list. This was requested a lot because apparently many of you miss topics that are stickied.

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

Robin, am I missing it or is the "Topics Started By You" no longer? I see the "Topics in which you posted" but not the option to filter by the topics for which I started??? THANKS!

Hmm, I just checked and you're right, it's apparently missing.
    Will look into this, thanks!

edit: fixed

#10 5 years ago

Great job keeping things "fresh" on pinside Robin!

#11 5 years ago

Just got an email... so much better with the bouncing envelope!

#12 5 years ago

Nice update, Robin. I've seen a lot of forums over my time on the internet, and Pinside is the smoothest most consistent one. Good job to you and the team!

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Scroll down the forum front page. Keep scrolling, and scrolling, and scrolling! Today adds auto-loading topic pages. A huge improvement from the old "paged" navigation. This setting is adjustable in your settings but default to auto-loading. Hope you like that.

Absolutely awesome! Nice work.

thank you

#14 5 years ago

That auto-loading thing is way cool. I can scroll through all my posts in 2 seconds looking for updates. I wonder how long it takes Lloyd to hit bottom

No auto-load for "Pinside forum topics linked to this game:"??

faz

#15 5 years ago

Good stuff Robin! I like the unread messages pop up

#16 5 years ago

I think there's an issue with the time clock. A post I made a few moments ago shows 'posted' over an hour.
    faz

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_faz:

I think there's an issue with the time clock. A post I made a few moments ago shows 'posted' over an hour.
    faz

You're right, that appears to be a bug. Will look into this, thanks.

#18 5 years ago

Any thoughts on open-sourcing the forum's code? Or selling it?

#19 5 years ago

I was going to comment on how many old threads would be resurrected because of the auto-scroll history, but then I saw the note on an old thread not to resurrect everything! So great. Has that been there this whole time?

#20 5 years ago

I'm almost embarrassed to say that I tried loading the forum in the middle of the night during the downtime! I never thought I would see this many improvements! Well done!

#21 5 years ago

Awesome stuff..... thanks Robin!

#22 5 years ago

Love the new look and features, Robin!

#23 5 years ago

My mail always shows I have 1 next to the envelope. It has been like this for at least 6 months. I can clear out all my mail and it still shows 1 next to it.

Anyone else have this problem?

#24 5 years ago

ughhhhh i absolutely hate auto-loading pages. hate them. not just on pinside, on any site. i realize this is the new internet thing to the point of becoming standard, but i think it sucks to break the scrollbar like that. one of the things i love about pinside is it hasn't (so far) tried to remake itself into a mobile-centric UI at the expense of laptops/desktop machines. this is an unfortunate step in that direction.

please do not do what avclub or so many other sites are busy doing to themselves. i beg you.

just my opinion of course.

#25 5 years ago

Great stuff.

Please bring back hot topics as only way to not miss what is hot!

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

ughhhhh i absolutely hate auto-loading pages.

Fortunately you can change this behavior in your forum settings pages.

However, I think this behavior is a great way to have people "look back in time" a little further. One of the problems Pinside was facing was that topics would move so fast of the front page, people could not keep up. I think the front-page auto-loading more topics works brilliantly to solve that issue. It also saves server load, because only the actual topics need fetching, no more re-rendering the page.

Of course I respect your opinion and therefore this is a setting you can set to 'full auto', 'manual auto' or 'manual paging'.

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Fortunately you can change this behavior in your forum settings pages.

yay! thanks for the response. i get the idea of wanting people to see more topics more easily, so that falling off the front page isn't a death sentence for a thread.

i just personally loathe when basic built-in browser features are subverted. the back button is the biggest casualty of facebook/google/twitter - style UIs. one never knows now what will happen when they hit "back" anymore. scrolling pages are part of this problem, because if you hit "back" intending to go back from what turns out to just be a fullscreen popup div or whatever, you end up going to a previous site entirely, and on top of that, if you had done much scroll-loading of new content, you've now completely lost your place as well. it's just a ton of user problems that basically stem from the site trying to recreate features that are already built into the browser...

sorry, rant off. Pinside does not have that problem right now and i'm glad. it's probably the best-designed site i visit. i just want it to stay that way!

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

You've got mail! One of the most requested features returns: the bouncing envelope! If you have new PinsideMail messages since the last time you checked that page, then you will get a nice bouncy notification in the top right of the screen.

Awwww, Yisssss.

#30 5 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

sorry, rant off. Pinside does not have that problem right now and i'm glad. it's probably the best-designed site i visit. i just want it to stay that way!

You have some valid points and I definitely appreciate you voicing them. Yes, I'll try to refrain from letting Pinside become the next Facebook. Ughhh! Facebook!

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from BowlingJim:

My mail always shows I have 1 next to the envelope. It has been like this for at least 6 months. I can clear out all my mail and it still shows 1 next to it.

Me too for a long time now. Asked about it many times before and never get an answer. Oh - well 1 = none.

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from BowlingJim:

I'm not sure what causes this. I can manually reset the number and then we'll see if it ever pops up again?

Quoted from PinRob:

Me too for a long time now. Asked about it many times before and never get an answer. Oh - well 1 = none.

Sorry about that. I could do the same, reset it manually and we'll see if it holds up.

#33 5 years ago

I am noticing for new posts the time lapsed says "1 hour, 1 minute". Why does it say 1 hour when it has only been a minute?

#34 5 years ago

"Pinside Savings Time"

He said somewhere that he's looking into it. I was confused too, because I'm checking while on break at work and it had me thinking I'd been sitting here way longer than I have.

#35 5 years ago

Also, I am noticing the topic that I have visited is not always turning grey even though there are no new posts.

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

I am noticing for new posts the time lapsed says "1 hour, 1 minute". Why does it say 1 hour when it has only been a minute?

I believe this should be fixed now. Stupid time zones.

Quoted from DCFAN:

Also, I am noticing the topic that I have visited is not always turning grey even though there are no new posts.

I noticed this too, can't really put a finger on it but something appears a bit buggy. If you can find the pattern why this happens or when, do tell!

#37 5 years ago

Thank you for what you are doing for the hobby!

#38 5 years ago

Robin, any thoughts into making the 'search' engine better? If find it pretty useless in that it has no 'AI' for lack of a better term. For example if I wanted to find a 'flipper' post by 'vid' on 'Scared Stiff' and did a search for 'vid flippers scared stiff'

FOUND 0 TOPICS
    No topics found with title matching ‘vid flippers scared stiff’.
    You could try to search inside post contents instead.

Same even if I use 'search inside topics' as well.

But if I use Google...

Scared Stiff Pinball Machine (Bally, 1996) - Pinside.com
    pinside.com › archive‎
    Rating: 8.4/10 - ‎738 votes
    Bally 1996 Scared Stiff pinball machine splash page on Pinside.com! ... go up close in the image gallery, see videos of the pinball machine in action or check out ... 1996 Bally Midway Scared Stiff Pinball Flipper Rebuild Kit for Two Flippers.

#39 5 years ago

Wow! That's a lot of new/cool stuff. Great job Robin!

#40 5 years ago

Robin, thank you for these awesome improvements! They are great and make an even better experience on Pinside!

#41 5 years ago

Infinite page scroll is awesome! Great work

#42 5 years ago

Robin,
    It looks like every time I enter the site, the forums that I have 'unchecked' show up in the list. If I check them, then uncheck them again, the posts go away. But they always seem to be there when I come back in.

#43 5 years ago

Coming from a fellow programmer/developer... great work!

#44 5 years ago
    Quoted from sysprog:

Robin,
    It looks like every time I enter the site, the forums that I have 'unchecked' show up in the list. If I check them, then uncheck them again, the posts go away. But they always seem to be there when I come back in.

Wow, I was just coming here to post the exact same thing.

#45 5 years ago

the new open stars for new topics is the best..............thanks Robin

#46 5 years ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

I am noticing the same thing even when i un-check all subforums except a couple, it does not matter, as all forums appear on list, unless i check then uncheck, but when i scroll to next page same problem occurs with all forum posts showing again.

#47 5 years ago
    Quoted from sysprog:

Robin,

I can confirm this bug, seeing it too. Will investigate, thanks!

#48 5 years ago

When I used to do a search the results would show if I had read item for those threads it found. Now they all have a solid blue circle star. So there is no easy way for me to look and see if there are new posts to those threads for my specific searches.

To clarify, lets say I did a search for "WOZ" it would return all the threads that had that in the title (or whatever search I did). Before the upgrade it would only show the blue circle/star if I had not read that thread at all. After I had clicked in to it, it would previously then show the gray circle/star icon if there were no new posts and a number if there was new posts.

This no longer seems to be the case now, or maybe it is a setting, just asking. Really like the other updates so far though.

Phil

#49 5 years ago

Great work Robin, this is my favorite site to visit!

I have one request for contacting other members, is there a way to have a contact list? Or possibly make it a one-or-two click process to send a pm?

There are several other members I contact on somewhat of a regular basis, and currently when I want to send a message I go to "My Pinside", then "Pinside Mail", then click on an old pm of that member, then click on their avatar and finally click on "Send ***** a message via Pinside mail". Or I search through threads I know they started or posted in to send a pm.

Maybe there's a quicker way I'm not aware of, but it would be nice if there was a way to just click on a members name and shoot a quick pm. Of course I'm talking about outside of responding to a member inside a thread.

Thanks for a great site!

#50 5 years ago

Auto page loading rules!!!

Now I can just scroll scroll scroll! Usually I just stop scrolling after I reach the bottom of page 1 instead of looking for the 'Next' button.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 2.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 5,899.99
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    € 3.95
    Flipper Parts
    Multigame
    $ 139.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 25.00
    Apparel - Women
    The Flipper Room
    $ 3.00
    Cabinet Parts
    BK Pinball
    $ 218.00
    $ 16.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 24.95
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 2.50
    Various Novelties
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 45.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 150.00
    Playfield - Protection
    Republic Of Pinball
    $ 1,000.00
    Playfields
    Pinball Playfields
    $ 115.00
    Playfield - Other
    Great American Pinball
    $ 259.95
    Lighting - Led
    Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    There are 174 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside