Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Yelobird
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Sit or Stand ”

• Sit 5 votes
      5%
    • Stand 91 votes
      95%

(96 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

336B22AD-84DD-4378-A7CB-156CB19CFE5F (resized).jpeg
    #1 4 years ago

This is very simple , do you prefer to sit down or stand up while playing pinball . I prefer to sit down while playing . I get my best scores while sitting and I think it's due to being steady and having a consistent view of the shots and not moving all over the place . Some people will prefer to stand . What do you like ?

#2 4 years ago

Stand up. I think nudging is more difficult in the seated position.

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from Krupps4:

Stand up. I think nudging is more difficult in the seated position.

That's a really good point , although I find I can usually move the machine enough while sitting .

#4 4 years ago

My reflexes are better when I am standing

#5 4 years ago

Stand and move that machine like it moves you! Without tilting of coarse

#6 4 years ago

I sit so much that I have to stand sometimes and that sometimes is when I'm playing.... although I have sat before just for a change of pace. But 98% of the time it's standing.

#7 4 years ago

I just don't feel like I have as much control of the machine when I am sitting, but the older I get, the harder it is to stay standing for more than an hour or two

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from bonzo442:

Stand and move that machine like it moves you! Without tilting of coarse

Not tilting the machine is key , I'm big and fat so I get enough movement without having to stand .

#9 4 years ago

Stand; not sure I've ever sat for a game, but probably because there are rarely stools around. I'd probably fall off of them or knock them over backwards now and then if they were.

Something interesting I recently noticed on a trip to The Sanctum in Meriden CT (my first time) - I have a playing stance. Specifically, I stand on one leg (my left) and cross my right foot behind my left ankle, leaning into the machine. I'm coming back to playing after many years away, and don't think I use "the stance" in my home playing, but I immediately recognized it as familiar and a remnant from my younger playing days, when perhaps I sought to project a certain aura of coolness or casualness while playing.

The era of projecting any sort of aura is long past....but the stance remains.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from JudeRussell:

I have a playing stance. Specifically, I stand on one leg (my left) and cross my right foot behind my left ankle, leaning into the machine.

That made me laugh , I do the same thing .
    My mate's playing stance is he moves his bum fully to the left or right in whatever Direction he's shooting for . Cracks me up .

#11 4 years ago

Wow 100% to stand up , I thought it would go this way but I thought at least a couple of people would have preferred to sit down .

#12 4 years ago

Standing up for me. I’ve tried sitting on a bar stool a few times but it makes me have slower response times controlling the flippers. Perhaps I get too relaxed when I sit since I’m working on my feet biggest part of my days.

#13 4 years ago

There is a reason you never see any top players at tournaments sitting.

#14 4 years ago

Standing, I play like crap when sitting down.

#15 4 years ago

If you sit down to play pinball, I'm guessing you also sit down to pee.

#16 4 years ago

I always stand. I’d be afraid of losing the sight line I prefer from the high vantage point if I sat.

#17 4 years ago

I sit whenever I play alone. And sit again when I drink alone.

#18 4 years ago

Never tried sitting down, always stand.

#19 4 years ago

There is a school of thought that the more of your field of vision you can fill with whatever you're concentrating on, the faster your brain can process it, making time seem to slow down enough to matter, with the result being faster reflexes.

So getting your face closer might help you play. Some top players stand with odd postures to make this happen. Not saying they think this is why necessarily, they may have just decided they do better that way, I never asked any of them. Just seems plausible to me.

I'd have to sit to get my face down there for any length of time at my age, my back couldn't take all that slouching.

#20 4 years ago

I Stand... Except when I'm playing Night Moves.

My Hot Line plays really fast, so I find that the "Lyman stance" is helpful in tracking the trajectory of the ball.

#21 4 years ago

Sitting is for mostly fat and lazy people so I stand.

#22 4 years ago

I always play standing.

#23 4 years ago

Standing

1 month later
    #24 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

There is a reason you never see any top players at tournaments sitting.

Yeah , because they don't bring a stool .

#25 4 years ago

I usually stand but sometimes I break out a stool if my legs are tired

#26 4 years ago

In the words of the Black Knight: "Stand up and fight!"

1 week later
    #27 4 years ago

Ok, standers... do you stand straight up over the machine or lean back some?

By leaning back I get the direction and speed of the ball better. Don’t understand how you can judge the ball as well by hovering over the lower playfield, but plenty of folks play that way.

#28 4 years ago

I take the traditional pose , I don't think I could lean back as I get a sore back as it is .

#29 4 years ago

Normally stand but I did find the #bangerjay laying down setup rather relaxing and crazy fun.

336B22AD-84DD-4378-A7CB-156CB19CFE5F (resized).jpeg336B22AD-84DD-4378-A7CB-156CB19CFE5F (resized).jpeg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sit-down-or-stand-up-?hl=pinlink and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.