View topic image gallery

PrimeArcades107In1 (resized).jpg
mario carts (resized).jpg
A93BA0AE-B885-4FB3-81A2-866BB1EC4758 (resized).jpeg
E53769DA-293B-49E1-B0D3-EFBD9282DEDE (resized).jpeg
47A5860A-E763-4DA3-B005-32743016A258 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png

#1 5 years ago

I was wondering if any of you had thoughts on what sit down drivers have the most replay value. I'm thinking about picking one up, but I'm a little worried we'll get board of it quick. Are they the kind of game where you'd need to have two of the same to link them together for head to head racing?

Greg

#2 5 years ago

I have 2 Cruisn' Exotica drivers linked together. Great fun and the kids love playing them. I got them from M&P Amusements earlier this year. They did a fantastic job of restoring them (new monitors/side art/gears, etc). It might get boring with just one, but I assure you it isn't with two!

#3 5 years ago

I built my own rig with a Logitech G27 steering wheel and PlayStation 3. I mostly play gran turismo on it but there's lots of games to not get bored with. I do plan at some time to set it up with a dedicated PC for other games.

I'd assume that an arcade might get boring with just a couple tracks to race.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I'd assume that an arcade might get boring with just a couple tracks to race.

Yes, something to consider for sure. Daytona USA always gets great reviews, but I went with Cruisn' Exotica as there are around 12 different tracks and 5 different vehicles to choose from.

#5 5 years ago

I think any of the midway series of driving games from the late 1990's are really good. That would be crusin exotica the car racing game, cart fury is the indy car game, off road thunder is the off road truck racing game and hydro thunder is the boat racing game. All of them are well done incorporating the music and voice calls to the action on the track. They all have enough tracks and secret Easter eggs to keep it interesting. Each game has a bit different flavor. You can play the car & truck games as auto trans or stick shift and some offer three levels of play...beginner, intermediate, expert to make it more challenging.

#6 5 years ago

I have a pair of Sazuka 8 Hour motorcycles. You can like up to 8.

#7 5 years ago

I have a pair of Hydro-Thunder sit down racers and had a pair of Sanfrancisco Rush games as well. Sold those, but Hydro's remain.

#8 5 years ago

Thanks for the advice! How heavy are they? Any tougher to get in a basement than a pin?

#9 5 years ago

I have a Cruzin World. The seat section can be removed easily. But the cabinet/monitor part is much heavier and more difficult to move. My sit down games stay in the garage.

#10 5 years ago

I had some but when push came to shove the space was better used for pinball machines. If I had unlimited space I would get them again but as of now I use my room for pins. I do have a MAME machine for the versatility however all my other dedicated vids are in storage until I have a bigger gameroom.

#11 5 years ago

I've owned lots of them. California Speed sucks big time. Avoid that one.

Personally never liked the cruisin series because the game play was very cartoonish and physics not really there.

Daytona has really good physics so you feel more like you are driving a real car. Daytona only has 3 tracks, though, and is a really old game. Daytona 2 is a better, newer game. Problem with daytona 2 is they tend to be bigger. You may have to disassemble the coin assembly on the side to get it into your house. I've seen great condition Daytona 2's for about $1000.

There are a lot of games that sit somewhere between the spectrum of good physics and arcade-y game play. Those are the ones I mostly owned.
The kids really liked SF the rock. Much better than the standard SF. The rock has 7 tracks and you can run them in reverse so 14 total. Of course, the graphics are early 1990's so maybe equivalent to PS1. I had 3 SF rocks but just sold the last one for $400 so they are cheap.
Unfortunately, the newer game, SF Rush 2049, was nowhere as good as the original as far as game play. I had one and sold it pretty quickly.

Outrun 2 is really good too, but more arcade-y than SF rush. There are 15 tracks on that one, but they all run at the same time. Basically, you decide which track by making turns. It is about PS2 level of graphics. They go in the $1000 range. They run on a chihiro system which means you can swap out games by changing a CD in the back. Well, it's not that easy, they were 3 different versions of chihiro so you have to have the exact right boards or the other games won't boot. you can research this on the net but the other game you could play is crazy taxi.

Of the "newer" games, I really like need for speed underground and need for speed carbon. They have tons of tracks and the game play is pretty good. Most of the newer games have card reader options where players can save their progress and mod their cars etc. I've seen these for anywhere from $1000 to $3000 depending. One thing about these you have to watch is they came in 3 different sizes. Only the small one will fit through a 36 inch door so that one actually goes for the most money. If you have double doors, look for the 37 inch. It is bigger and cheaper.

All of the fast and the furious games, for me, have terrible physics. Some people like them. I don't.

Another idea- a lindbergh based sega system. Like the chihiro, you can swap games by changing a disk in the back. lindbergh was about equivalent to a PS3+. They made 7 different racing arcade games under the lindbergh platform but 2 of them, initial D 4 and initial D 5, are really catered to the Japanese audience, so most Americans won't like them (race against only a single opponent, so only win or lose). The lindbergh swapping is a bit easier than chihiro and most everything works by just swapping disks. check out system16.com for game lists.

#12 5 years ago

I really want a Lucky and Wild. Driving and shooting combined and it can be one player or two.

#13 5 years ago

I would say initial d. Version 3 is the last one that was widely distributed in the us. I believe 4 and maybe 5 have english versions, but not sure.

Version 3 is the last to run on Naomi 2. Naomi 2 is a dreamcast with 4x more ram. You can also run versions of crazy taxi with this hardware but if memory serves the geering for the wheel or the wiring for the gearbox is different.

Cost is 500-1k depending on where you look. It can be linked. It has a save system that uses cards and the cards are still available. Short of importing a newer version this is what I was looking into at one point. Only didn't because the hassle of moving.

#14 5 years ago

I have a NeedForSpeed Underground and it's pretty good. Fun and realistic and not ridiculous backflips and 500 yd jumps like in modern drivers.

Seems most of the modern drivers are made to get $5 or $10 out of the players pocket and that's it. After a few games there is just no staying power.

I'd really like to upgrade but can't find anything I think I'd be happy with...

#15 5 years ago

My Mame expert buddy plans on building me a MAME racing game one day down the road

3 years later
#16 1 year ago

I had been looking for some Mario Kart GP's (although I've only played it once).
Wasn't having any luck finding them, so I picked up a trio of Cali Speeds and also a Cruisin Exotica.
Linked the Cali Speeds together and have been having a blast with them.
They kinda scratched my itch for a sit down driver.....until I just got an email about 2 Mario Kart GP's for sale.

The Mario's are a ton more money...are they worth it?

#17 1 year ago

Anything in the cruisn series you can't go wrong with. USA, World, Exotica. They made a lot of them, lots of parts out there, reasonable price. Good build quality. Midway games were way more available in the USA.
The Daytona, and other sega games are fun. But, the problem is that the Circuit boards are under the seat. And kids back in the day would spill their "squishie" OK Simpsons plug, all over the machine and short out the boards. So, many of these you will find are pieced together and can be somewhat unstable. I have a stack of non repairable Sega boards like this. Now, the uprights are a different story as the boards were in the back.

If you get one and need a monitor repaired look me up. I am fairly good at getting these old tube monitors back in service.

#18 1 year ago
Quoted from athens95:

Anything in the cruisn series you can't go wrong with. USA, World, Exotica. They made a lot of them, lots of parts out there, reasonable price. Good build quality. Midway games were way more available in the USA.
The Daytona, and other sega games are fun. But, the problem is that the Circuit boards are under the seat. And kids back in the day would spill their "squishie" OK Simpsons plug, all over the machine and short out the boards. So, many of these you will find are pieced together and can be somewhat unstable. I have a stack of non repairable Sega boards like this. Now, the uprights are a different story as the boards were in the back.
If you get one and need a monitor repaired look me up. I am fairly good at getting these old tube monitors back in service.

I do have one Cali with a dim monitor that tales a few minutes to warm up and one that scrolls for a bit and is a little blurry, but bright.

#19 1 year ago

We added a Cruisin' Exotica to the gameroom, due to space restrictions, in a smaller Cruisin' World cabinet in 2016 (upgrade package).
Had a recapped monitor and re-tuned feedback system, delivered for all of $695.
(Unlike my pins, the only cost has been some new blue T-molding).
The grandkids ages 5-11 love it.
I've found they don't care much about the quality of the graphics (currently) - they just like crashing and running into things.

pasted_image (resized).png
#20 1 year ago

I have 2 need for speed carbons with LCD monitors , I can switch between that and nascar , also has a restored off road.

47A5860A-E763-4DA3-B005-32743016A258 (resized).jpegA93BA0AE-B885-4FB3-81A2-866BB1EC4758 (resized).jpegE53769DA-293B-49E1-B0D3-EFBD9282DEDE (resized).jpeg
#21 1 year ago

I picked up a crazy taxi a year or so ago. Back in the time when kids would have friends over, that’s what they played over any of the pins we have. I would love to get a pair of linked Outrun II’s one day. It then i think it will be two of the same vid that will barely be played lol

#22 1 year ago

i have 2 mario carts set up back to back and linked together for racing against each other.......depending on the group they are usually more popular than the pins

mario carts (resized).jpg
#23 1 year ago

Rush the Rock's all the way. 2049 is kinda cool to try and get all the coins but beyond that not much fun after a while. You can't miss with the Rush's.

John

#24 1 year ago

I have had a bunch of racers. Outrun 2, Outrun 2SP, rush the rock x 2, rush 2049, harley davidson, hummer extreme, california speed, initial D 4, initial D 5, Daytona, R-tuned. I am probalby forgetting a few.

Rush the rock had the longest staying power of all of those, for sure. You have 7 tracks and you can go off the main paths through secret paths. Graphics not so great by today's standards but game play is awesome.

I would say Daytona and Outrun 2SP probably next best from the ones I had. Daytona is most realistic, but outrun 2 or outrun 2SP are a lot of fun as well. The SP version is the same game with slightly better graphics; the sun glare effect they added in is the most noticable change.

Rush 2049 was a big disappointment compared to the rock games but still better than a lot of the rest. Harley was okay. Hummer and R-tuned were to "chuck-e-cheese" for a home environment for us. California Speed was just plain horrible. You don't even need to steer. I think Initial-D has a cool concept but since it is 1v1, doesn't really click with Americans. I was the only one who played Initial-D; kids didn't understand it.

Once my kids grew up and moved out the only time those machines were even turned on were when we had a get-together and a bunch of friends brought their little kids. In those times, they were the most popular games. So kindof feast or famine.

It is really about space, because the games can be picked up fairly cheap.

#25 1 year ago

I don't have one, but my folks ran an arcade in the 90s and I played a ton. Out of all of them, I'd say San Francisco Rush or Rush the Rock (not 2049). Sit downs can be had for around $600 here. Great replay value. Graphics good enough for modern kids to not complain too much. Speakers in the chair are awesome. The tracks range from pretty easy to pretty hard. Multiple shortcuts on each track. Daytona also has great replay value, but only 3 tracks. If and when I can put a pool in for the wife, I have permission to expand the arcade. San Francisco Rush will be my first acquisition.

#26 1 year ago

Also planning on buying my first linked Sit-Downs, but am also a bit concerned about staleness; wondering what you guys think about these vs. dedicated? The YouTube in the link states you can link a maximum of two:

https://primearcades.com/collections/frontpage/products/107-racing-games-in-1-arcade-machine-with-seat
PrimeArcades107In1 (resized).jpg

#27 1 year ago

Rush games you can link as many as eight together, so again no comparison....LOL.

John

1 month later
#28 1 year ago

I have a Rush the Rock and it's pretty cool. Found a Fast n Furious and wanted thoughts on it. Does it have the forced feed back on the steering wheel? They are a pain to move around so if not worth it I don't want to bother. Thanks

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside