Quoted from phishrace:
Only Gary Stern and his accountant know the real numbers, but you can take a decent educated guess using the tools out there. No rumors needed.
1. Pinside owner list
2. Serial number database
3. Boston pinball
4. Pinballmap.com (start in Portland)
I agree that only a handful of people really know production numbers like the Investors, Gary,Gomez, Jim, and maybe Shelly. I would not use 1-4 because they are limited to the overall sample of the population. If I were to guess what numbers exist I would use sales data. How many times do you see a particular title "up for sale" both domestic and international. I search all over the US everyday looking for deals (like many do). I have been observing craigslist and ebay pinball machines for sale constantly. I have began to learn where the most machines for sale are located and the prices that reflect the region. Based on my obsessive neurotic findings I would "guess" or estimate the following in terms of the rarest Sterns:
1. Batman Standard/ Iron Man Classic-Placed in limited retail locations as test market. They did not sale. My guess-50 or less for each title before they pulled the plug.
2. Avengers Premium-After distributors in US could not sell their LE inventory.My guess-100 were shipped to China and overseas.
3. NBA-My guess is 50 domestic-most ended up in Canada and 100-overseas.
4. NFL-My guess is 100 domestic and 100 overseas
5. Harley Davidson 3rd Edition-My guess less then 100, not sure on overseas?
6.Rolling Stones LE-My guess less than 100 domestic-not sure on overseas? Also Stern is known to use random numbers from a run on machines. Just because someone has 398 out of 400 does not mean that Stern made all 400.
7. Wheel Of Fortune-My guess 300 domestic, not sure on overseas-Many went on route and got trashed. HUO WOF's are rare.
8. Dale Earnhardt Jr.-My guess 200 domestic, and 100 overseas
9. CSI,24 all produced in the dog days of Stern. My guess is 500 total for each domestic and overseas.
10. The pin-both Transformers and Avengers-My guess 500 of each-many went overseas.
11. High Roller Casino-My guess 500 domestic, many went on route, not sure on overseas
12. BBH-My guess is several runs equal to 1000 total.
13. Iron Man-My guess is 1100 on initial runs then VE with two runs of 200.
14. Mustang-Not sure on this one because it is still too new. Who knows how many distributors are still sitting on them and how many Stern still has. They are available everywhere for sale, not sure if that reflects production numbers or just a title that people tend to unload?
My guesses are based on daily searches for machines-nothing else. When I see a machine pop up that is rare-I take note. I really have no-idea what machines come up for sale in Europe and overseas. If anyone from overseas has an opinion based on sales and searches-please give us your opinion or "guesses" based on where you live and how often you see these rare titles pop up.