• Big Buck Hunter 14 votes
    5%
  • CSI 36 votes
    13%
  • 24 32 votes
    11%
  • NBA 81 votes
    29%
  • TigerLaw; you forgot the lowest production and I'm going to tell you which it really is below. 12 votes
    4%
  • I don't know and don't care, but I do like to vote in polls. 106 votes
    38%

(281 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

danpatrickshow.jpg
Stevie Wonder.png
image-649.jpg
image-10.jpg

There are 191 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 4 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

Here's my educated guesses. And WOF isn't even in the running compared to most of these.
Lowest is very likely between CSI and NBA. 24 was a much better game than either and for that reason alone had to be higher. I have NFI about BBH, and that's despite working at Play Mechanix at the time. My guess is that did kinda well in the northern midwest. BBH COULD be above WOF even, which was just under 1000 if I had to guess.
I would guess 24 in the 800ish range and CSI and NBA 500 or lower.
I have no actual info.
Oh NFL was certainly multiple hundreds, almost certainly more than CSI/NBA. But as stated it was to use parts up, so that would've been a limiting factor without compelling amounts of orders.
SX would shock you with how many were made; most of them are probably in German landfills if I had to guess (or incinerators? I dunno what they do there).

I had heard from inside info.
CSI 600
24 900
NBA 500 or less

#102 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I think due to serial numbers we have estimated that there were 1,100 Iron Man's made in the original run and most distributors said there were 500 VE's run. 1,600, 1,100, or 500 are all larger runs than CSI, 24, or BBH had for sure.
I think those saying NFL have nailed it. I've never seen this game in person. Only seen one come up for sale on Pinside over the years. That game just isn't out there. I wonder how the theme would do now?

Original IM run was 1800

#103 4 years ago

Heres my 2 cents on Stern and JJP production pinball numbers, anytime a pinball is found out on the route, register its s/n and town/state. Then, after a few years, better idea of whats out there and where. Then for sure we will know if they made 100 or 10000.

#104 4 years ago

Back when they were released, the numbers floating around for CSI were about 600 with half going overseas, with 24 and Wheel of Fortune being about double that at ~1200 each.

#105 4 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

XMEN and XMENLE might be in the mix somewhere.
There was a time when you could buy a CV at close out prices under 2k. I have owned a CV, I like XMENLE better overall.
Quantity does not make a game great in and of itself.

my X-men pro playfield has an x of 500 sticker on it.. whatever that's worth.

#106 4 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

Original IM run was 2800

You are wrong. It was 900-1000.

#107 4 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

Original IM run was 2800

What do you base that on? no person has ever suggested more than 1,100 anywhere I have read.

#108 4 years ago

Just going by what I've never seen, NBA and NFL (remember sports pins = FAIL but luckily WWE isn't a sport

Though I've seen 24 and CSI far more than Austin Powers (once!) which apparently sold thousands. So you never know.

#109 4 years ago

There's a Dale Jr. and an NBA on the set of the Dan Patrick show. Always on, but probably haven't been played in forever.

#110 4 years ago

At the York show last Fall, there were two or three WoF for sale. There has to be more than 1,000 WoF made, probably over 2K.

#111 4 years ago
Quoted from Kineticross:

What about Batman Standard?

image-649.jpg 70 KB

Wow you do learn something everyday.

#112 4 years ago
Quoted from timtim:

Wow you do learn something everyday.

There are CERTAINLY fewer of those "Standard" Batmans than the NFL pins. 48 I believe...

#113 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

luckily WWE isn't a sport

Steroid ballet?

#114 4 years ago
Quoted from BestShot31:

At the York show last Fall, there were two or three WoF for sale. There has to be more than 1,000 WoF made, probably over 2K.

There is an Assisted Living complex in Pensacola Florida that has 2 of them, so we at least know for sure there were that many.

#115 4 years ago

For commercial production with a unique layout I'd guess NBA.

Sheer numbers, the rarest is Costco Batman Classic, only 48 produced.

Rarest not counting other "flavors" of same game, I'd guess either Avatar LE, RS LE, or Avengers Premium.

NFL is Striker Extreme with a different toy so by that standard it's not a unique layout.

#116 4 years ago

RSLE number 249 of 250 is in NZ. So I guess Stern did make all of them

#117 4 years ago

I was always under the impression CSI was 200 or lower. I bought one nib

#118 4 years ago
Quoted from DevilsTuner:

I was always under the impression CSI was 200 or lower. I bought one nib

Serials on http://www.ipsnd.net/ support that between 500 and 600 CSI's were made. Some were sent overseas to other countries. CSI is a worldwide show, broadcast in many different languages.

Keep in mind that:
in the summer of 2012, CSI was the MOST WATCHED TV SHOW IN THE WORLD.

#120 4 years ago

Nope, there are around 400 reg Elvis machines and 500 gold Elvis machines. 900 total.

#121 4 years ago

I understood from a source that I think is very reliable that NBA had a production run of 370. If the production numbers on some games are as low as mentioned here it's amazing Stern managed to stay in business. It also explains the cost cutting, which explain the low sales (aside from theme choice and execution). Vicious circle...

#122 4 years ago
Quoted from unigroove:

I understood from a source that I think is very reliable that NBA had a production run of 370. If the production numbers on some games are as low as mentioned here it's amazing Stern managed to stay in business. It also explains the cost cutting, which explain the low sales (aside from theme choice and execution). Vicious circle...

I agree. What was the "break even" to even profit dollar number 1 on these Stern titles? I know that it depends on the cost of the license and also parts and labor/insurance, but I would gamble that 0 profit was made on any games that had runs of less than 400. Maybe 370 was the break even on NBA and Stern just decided to limit their losses at that point and move on to a title that would sell better.

#123 4 years ago
Quoted from unigroove:

Your very reliable source obviously didn't tell you the whole story. The games before and after NBA say way more about what was going on at Stern at that time. If you think it was all about cost cutting, you're wrong.

#124 4 years ago

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Iron Man Classic yet.

#125 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Non commercial product. Home model. I have only seen and played one in my entire life at Sam's Club. If you count it as a actual release, there are very likely over 100 of them. More than standard Batman.

#126 4 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Nope, there are around 400 reg Elvis machines and 500 gold Elvis machines. 900 total.

Waaaay more than that.

#127 4 years ago

Probably Batman Standard Edition

#128 4 years ago

You guys realize that NBA is just a re-theme as well from Space Jam right? Was it just another run-off of parts? If so, does that count? I think CSI is the rarest, original machine stern made.

#129 4 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

You guys realize that NBA is just a re-theme as well from Space Jam right? Was it just another run-off of parts? If so, does that count? I think CSI is the rarest, original machine stern made.

Too long between titles to be a parts run-off. They did make some major changes to the toys and ramps between the 2 titles. So if you throw out NBA from the discussion because of this you have to throw out Iron Man as it was just Austin Powers rehashed.

#130 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

My original question lumped that in as an alternate stern model of the same game. It is not a stand alone game in my view (no different from an LE, pro, premium, pro LED, alternate premium, etc version of the same game).

I was looking for full production stand alone games. Not demos, one offs (like good morning America), or LE's...

#131 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I was looking for full production stand alone games. Not demos, one offs (like good morning America), or LE's...

My original three answers were based on the thread title- Single Rarest Stern Game. Now maybe you would like the prototypes that never got made?

#132 4 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

OK on gold, but LOLno on regular. Not even close.

As for no one seeing more NFLs or APs, NFLs were only sold through Betson and probably mostly to homeowners. A lot of APs were sold through Sharper Image, Hammacher Schlemmer, etc. I would imagine most bought from places like that have not moved since original installation for the most part.

#133 4 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

Sounds like there's plenty of disagreement about sub 1000 production numbers on Sharkeys and Striker that they should probably be removed from the mix. That leaves only NFL and the "dark years" games 2009-2010, which makes sense.
NFL- 85
NBA - 200
CSI / 24 / BBH - 250-300
All these games had complete runs less than today's Stern LEs

Big Buck Hunter pin had several runs. I have had some manufactured from 2010, 2011 and even 2012. It is a good route earner so what few ops purchased did so as the Big Buck arcade series is still popular so some cross over does happen.

#134 4 years ago
Quoted from kbliznick:

So if you throw out NBA from the discussion because of this you have to throw out Iron Man as it was just Austin Powers rehashed.

Ugh, you're right. Never really looked at the PF for AP (because the gameplay vid only survived 30 seconds) but with some fairly minor changes there are pretty much the same thing. I like IM a lot more.

#135 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

What do you base that on? no person has ever suggested more than 1,100 anywhere I have read.

I had to go back and check my emails from May 2013.
Iron Man had an initial run of 1800. I've corrected my post.

#136 4 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

OK on gold, but LOLno on regular. Not even close.
As for no one seeing more NFLs or APs, NFLs were only sold through Betson and probably mostly to homeowners. A lot of APs were sold through Sharper Image, Hammacher Schlemmer, etc. I would imagine most bought from places like that have not moved since original installation for the most part.

Maybe you can elaborate on the serial numbers posted then? It seems a run of 2000 could have been overlooked on ipsnd.net on Elvis. That may account for a large chunk of the miscalculation. Specifically, 186086 to
Indicates a run of at least 2000.

#137 4 years ago

How often does anyone come across a Stern Playboy (2002)?
For some reason I'm thinking about 1,200 units, but don't know where I saw that.
Doesn't appear to be as rare as others discussed, thought it could be in the top 5 or close to it.
-Brian

#138 4 years ago

Well if anyone has a Stern NBA Pinball they would like to sell. Give me a shout.

#139 4 years ago
Quoted from kbliznick:

Too long between titles to be a parts run-off. They did make some major changes to the toys and ramps between the 2 titles. So if you throw out NBA from the discussion because of this you have to throw out Iron Man as it was just Austin Powers rehashed.

Oh hell, if we're doing that we'll have to throw out all the Borg games too

#140 4 years ago

Only on pinside would people be bored enough to argue over sales numbers without any sales information.

#141 4 years ago
Quoted from hassellcastle:

Well if anyone has a Stern NBA Pinball they would like to sell. Give me a shout.

Well there are two NBA pins on route in Wichita, KS where I play quite a bit. I have listed both of them on the pinball map here on Pinside in recent months. I know the one at Billiards Sports Plaza would be for sale because the guy at the front desk has told me they sell pins and get new ones in fairly regularly. So if you buy that one then maybe they will get a new machine in for me to play, and I can still play the NBA at the other location when the urge strikes.

Actually that one at Billiards Sports Plaza is pretty cool because it is 50 cents or 5 for $2.00. However, if you put 2 bucks in, it will give you 7 games instead of 5. And it is not terribly hard to hit the replay score, even for a newbie like myself, so figure another 3 games from that. Then you have the match at the end of each game where you could easily get a couple more games, so when it is all said and done I usually get 10-12 games off of that $2.00 which comes to about 15 to 20 cents per game. Not bad! So on second thought, maybe I don't want you to buy that game after all.

#142 4 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Only on pinside would people be bored enough to argue over sales numbers without any sales information.

Why would you need sales information to determine how many games were made? That's like saying you need a wrist-watch to know the time.

#143 4 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Edited: Nevermind. I'm out. You can believe me or not.

#144 4 years ago

Non-LE commercial production games in the US under 1000:

Grand Prix (Nascar re-theme for outside the US, but some were sold in the US)
NBA (Space Jam re-theme for outside the US, but some were sold in the US)
CSI (rarest unique production non-LE game)
NFLs (most are in homes now)

then 24, Rolling Stones, WOF, Shrek, BBH etc. (around 1000+)

#145 4 years ago

NBA was a Space Jam re-theme? Sega 1996 or so then Stern in late 2000s?

#146 4 years ago
Quoted from DreamTR:

NBA was a Space Jam re-theme? Sega 1996 or so then Stern in late 2000s?

Yes indeed. There are some slight differences with the ramps as pointed out before, but the two games are very similar. Also I don't think Space Jam has the big magnet in the middle of the playfield either (which many people would consider a good thing). I don't mind it too much, but it does add more randomness and distorts the natural flow of the ball.

#147 4 years ago
Quoted from doughslingers:

Big Buck Hunter pin had several runs. I have had some manufactured from 2010, 2011 and even 2012. It is a good route earner so what few ops purchased did so as the Big Buck arcade series is still popular so some cross over does happen.

Considering the final run wasn't more than 50, I'm not sure it helped to beef up the low estimates a whole lot. Based on talking with many players over the years I'm fairly certain BBH / CSI / 24 were all in the same ballpark especially considering the amount of people that still haven't found one to play relative to all other Sterns made before or after. For example, I've seen 6 combined BBH/CSI/24 across many states, whereas I've seen easily 8 unique original IMs in homes, shows, and on location consistently since it was released at a production volume widely agreed upon as 1100. It's only anecdotal evidence, but Pinside ownership numbers for those correlate fairly well with many of the low production estimates, even if you skew numbers toward collector tastes...

NFL: 5
NBA: 8
BBH: 44
CSI: 39
24: 29

Compare to known 5 figure runs

WOF: 67 (est 1000?)
BDK: 137
RBION: 206
POTC: 320
IM: 403 (1100 + VE) - IIRC ownership was half that before VE
SM: 502
TSPP: 632
LOTR: 782

#148 4 years ago

Dan Patrick has a Dale Jr and NBA in his radio show office.
You can see them behind him on the show all the time.
2 of the "rarest" Sterns side by side and I'm sure HUO.

danpatrickshow.jpg

#149 4 years ago
Quoted from doughslingers:

BBH is likely regional.. probably not too many on the west coast or southwest. Decent amount in the midwest though.

#150 4 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

BBH is likely regional.. probably not too many on the west coast or southwest. Decent amount in the midwest though.

I think basically 90% at least are or were routed. It was released in an era before the home use market took off full steam and was not a theme that was going to get a bunch of orders from home users anyway (my guess is both 24 and CSI outsold it in the home market).

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Cedar Rapids, IA
$ 65.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Prairie Village, KS
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
There are 191 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside