Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by delt31
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Edit. Based on some other pinside stories this looks board related. Will have it fixed.

1 week later
#2 6 years ago

Opening this topic back up b/c my power board was checked out and determined to be fine by a professional. Any thoughts on what else could be going on? It doesn't impact gameplay but I'm a little crazy when it comes to perfection on these games.

The first three lights on each column blink when doing single lamp tests. The rest of the lights down the column are fine. It repeats this trend for all columns. I tried putting in non LEDs (thinking ghosting) but it did nothing.

Thoughts on what else I should check? Could it be the ribbons on the boards themselves? If wiring, I'm not even sure what to look.

Thanks

#3 6 years ago

To check the ribbons, reverse all connectors on the ribbon. If the malfunction moves, the ribbon is bad.

Obviously if your ribbon is keyed you can't simply reverse it without doing something with the keyed pin.

In test mode do all three lamps flash when testing lamps 1, 2, and 3 in every column? Or only when testing lamp 1 in the column? When testing during game play with the glass off do all three inserts in the columns flash when any one of the inserts should come on?

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

To check the ribbons, reverse all connectors on the ribbon. If the malfunction moves, the ribbon is bad.
Obviously if your ribbon is keyed you can't simply reverse it without doing something with the keyed pin.
In test mode do all three lamps flash when testing lamps 1, 2, and 3 in every column? Or only when testing lamp 1 in the column? When testing during game play with the glass off do all three inserts in the columns flash when any one of the inserts should come on?

Yes to both questions. All 3 lamps flash when testing 1 2 and 3 in every column. All 3 will go off when only 1 should come on. Double yes.

#5 6 years ago

Just to clarify (even though you did say all connectors), flip BOTH SIDES of the ribbon connector. Not just one. You want the same paths as before, just using different sides of the cable. Otherwise you will short things out and send/receive voltages where they aren't supposed to go.

#6 6 years ago

should I try the ribbons first on this or is there something else I should do? I only ask b/c I would hate to do any damage considering the ribbons seem to be working well (all power is on).

As for the flipping - are you saying if the ribbon has the red line on the bottom you want me to flip it so the red line is on top and connect the ends?

#7 6 years ago

Your goal is change which wire in the ribbon cable is carrying each signal. Red stripe is typically pin one. Flip ALL the connectors on the ribbon cable you're testing so the red stripe is opposite where it was before you flipped it.

Or just try a different ribbon cable.

Your lamp matrix shows which connectors and pins control each lamp. If you use jumpers to light the first light in each column and all three bulbs light you have a wiring problem. If only the bulb you're connected to lights you have a board problem.

Have you looked at the Pinwiki about testing the lamp matrix?

#8 6 years ago

Your goal is change which wire in the ribbon cable is carrying each signal. Red stripe is typically pin one. Flip ALL the connectors on the ribbon cable you're testing so the red stripe is opposite where it was before you flipped it.
Or just try a different ribbon cable.
Your lamp matrix shows which connectors and pins control each lamp. If you use jumpers to light the first light in each column and all three bulbs light you have a wiring problem. If only the bulb you're connected to lights you have a board problem.
Have you looked at the Pinwiki about testing the lamp matrix?

thanks - I can confirm the board is perfect as it was just serviced. It's def a wire problem I guess and in the manual the first three on the row side are J133-1. J133-2 and J133-3 Red Brown Red Black and Red Orange.

Lights 11, 12 and 13 all light at once during single lamp. Same for 21-23, 31-33, 41-43, etc.

I can find those colored wires but don't see anything plug related that is not in there correctly. I dont have experience with the wiring underneath so not exactly sure what to look for besides obvious like plug it's connected to is not.

#9 6 years ago

SOLUTION! I noticed the main left pin that connects to the lamp board underneath the table had solder that was connected for the last three pins. I sep the solder and now the lights are perfect. The solder connected must have caused the machine to light all three at the same time. Thanks for the help guys. Machine is perfect!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Wanted
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 85.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
2step’s shop

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 70.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

11,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Trumansburg, NY
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, DE
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 0.00
Lighting - Backbox
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 1,419.00
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

12,500 (OBO)
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/single-light-test-all-three-lights-turning-on-ijtpa and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.