• Latest reply 10 years ago by heatwave
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Sing Along.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Working on a full shop-out of the Sing Along I just acquired and noted there is a 'liberal-conservative' jones plug adjustment for the "Hole Special" in the back box.

Can't find any information on what exactly the adjustment does? Already searched Pinside + RGP + Google. Assuming it somehow increases the frequency of the special light but not sure if it does it by lighting the row if 3 numbers are lit, etc. My game is currently in about 50 pieces for cleaning so I can't test it by hand at this point. Just Curious - any Sing Along owners out there with the answer?

#2 10 years ago

It alters the frequency with which a kickout hole is lit for special, once that column of numbers is completed (i.e., the four different 1-4 sequences). All four numbers are still needed for each column.

For 5-ball play, the recommendation is for conservative, and for 3-ball play, liberal (IIRC).

(I'd have to go back and look at the schematic to recall exactly what it's triggering off for the frequency.)

#3 10 years ago

Thanks Dirt Flipper.

When I was testing the game before I bought it, looked like it was cycling based on 10pt scoring (although it could have been 1 pt).

Wonder if the adjustment also somehow runs it through the score motor to change it from a straight 4 pt progression (white, red, yellow, green). I think that's how it worked on my Jack in the Box in order to change the 'Shoot Again vs. Free Game' award for hitting all 10 drop targets.

#4 10 years ago

On Kings and Queens, the hole frequency is not 1 to 4. The far left hole, lights like ever other 10 points. As you work your way to the right, the holes light less frequently since the right holes are fed from the left holes and it is more likely that you will fall into one of them while another special is lit. With never more than 1 hole lit at a time.

Looking at the Sing Along Print, it appears to be about the same with your jones plug lighting multiple holes at the same time. In fact, in the Cons. setting, there are three places on the 0-9 unit that no hole would be lit.Sing Along.jpgSing Along.jpg

#5 10 years ago

Thanks Cactus Jack -

That's interesting. Wish I was better at reading schematics, hard for me to figure out the 'flow' of that although I think I see where you are talking about no hole being lit when on 'conservative'. Can't wait to get the whole game back together and test it out. Waiting for my goodie-box from PBR.

#6 10 years ago

If you look over on the right for the area contained within the dashed lines labeled 0-9 unit, you will see 10 possible pairs of dots. These represent the rivet heads on the unit. The double Arrow represents the wiper. As I recall, a Gott. stepper is 30 steps so those actual 10 dots would be repeated in order 3 times around the whole circle. However, you will notice that they did NOT label them as 0, 1, 2, 3 etc. like they did on the "Thousands Unit" or "Hundreds Unit" in the middle. That is because they are not actually wired in the order or pairings shown. It was done that way just to simplify the schematic drawing. So, those 10 dots are actually mixed around to randomize the lighting of the hole specials as 10 points are scored. The IN and OUT arrows are your Conserv. Liberal adjustment. When set to "OUT", you will see that 3 of the dots will never connect to anything (other than the wiper).

So, each of the three kickout holes (White, Red, Yellow) will light in 2 possible positions of the 10 steps of the 0-9 unit. This is increased to 3 positions if the jones plug is set to IN. The Green hole can only be lit at a single position no matter what the setting.

#7 10 years ago

Thanks for the mini-lesson, I really appreciate it. Hoping to use this rebuild as a chance to get a little better at schematics.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

If you look over on the right for the area contained within the dashed lines labeled 0-9 unit, you will see 10 possible pairs of dots. These represent the rivet heads on the unit. The double Arrow represents the wiper. As I recall, a Gott. stepper is 30 steps so those actual 10 dots would be repeated in order 3 times around the whole circle. However, you will notice that they did NOT label them as 0, 1, 2, 3 etc. like they did on the "Thousands Unit" or "Hundreds Unit" in the middle. That is because they are not actually wired in the order or pairings shown. It was done that way just to simplify the schematic drawing. So, those 10 dots are actually mixed around to randomize the lighting of the hole specials as 10 points are scored. The IN and OUT arrows are your Conserv. Liberal adjustment. When set to "OUT", you will see that 3 of the dots will never connect to anything (other than the wiper).
So, each of the three kickout holes (White, Red, Yellow) will light in 2 possible positions of the 10 steps of the 0-9 unit. This is increased to 3 positions if the jones plug is set to IN. The Green hole can only be lit at a single position no matter what the setting.

Just a tremendous explanation-thks Cactus Jack

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

I tried to explain how this works to someone once and i must say you did it much better than i did.
well done

#10 10 years ago

Hey, I'm doing a full shop out of a newly acquired Sing Along, too!

#11 10 years ago

Getting closer with my Sing Along. About have the play field back together after:
- Removing everything from playfield
- ME + Novus 2 + Wax playfield
- Polish all metal
- Clean light shields plastic posts
- Rebuild pops with all new parts from PBR
- New coil sleeves on everything
- New bulbs all around (kept #44's for the special lights per another persons question)
- remove side rails, lightly sand and clear coat
Still need to clean cabinet and backbox switches, clean score reels, etc. Probably another week based on my schedule.

Will definitely post pics when I'm done. Thanks again for all the great help from this site and RGP

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Birmingham, AL
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Hedgesville, WV

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sing-along-hole-special-adjustment and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.